Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

RSoxNo1

Here's the side by side comparison for the mangy mutt

3Uia3Uu.png

e2aviPS.png
Your before picture is old. Here's one from January 15, 2015:
r-1427760196-PiratesOfTheCaribbean14.JPG

Prog

That would be a question for @wdwmagic. I believe it might be a Sony as he mentioned being a fan of their image stabilization in a thread a while back.
I do know that, on the budget side, lower-end Sony Alphas are the cheapest to offer full-frame image sensors, which should make low-light performance much better.
At least, that's why I bought one. Still have yet to try it in such environments, but it looked amazing for a school project I shot (well-lit).

ght

Rode it for the first time in years Thursday and it looks great. I didn't even think the dog looked bad. The cloud projections are working, though the bright vents or whatever they are kind of take away from the effect. My wife and daughter rode in the front seat and we were in the third. While they didn't get soaked on the drop, when we got off every seat had water in the bottom, including mine. Overall though it looks like they did a great job with this refurb, everything looked really fresh and new.

Last edited:

pumpkin7

It looks fantastic!
I too don't understand why they'd change Barbossa's costume. He looked a lot more convincing in his regular Black Pearl garb, but oh well.
I witnessed the mermaids during our last trip. Definitely after the fog effect and just as you're oming up on the beach with the pirate skeletons. I would have thought it would make more sense to turn the singing off as well? But nevermind. It's probably good they turned it off as I saw a few pictures going around of a nice blue projector screen under the water saying 'No Signal'... not very in keeping with the theme! But when they did work, they were very cool. There was even a water splash of their tails coming out of the water. The water in pirates freaks me out anyway with all the different pipes and stuff that must be running under it. Oh well! Good job Disney!

Cesar R M

DLSR's are great, but (to my knowledge) don't capture video footage in raw format like the Red, C100 or C300 MKII, let alone 4K. (Unless you upgrade them with something like a Magic Lantern kit) ... As I am sure you know :).
There are many 4k cameras, unsure if they all catch "RAW"...

Crazydisneyfanluke

Rode Friday, I had noticed that the drop felt the same, but less water to splash down into, also noticed metal sheets angled away from the boat to stop waves splashing on to the boat. Water did splash over the boat, but not as much before the refurb.

gibson12

That video does look incredible. They've got some cameras now that seem like they've really figured out how to film dark rides. There's a channel on Youtube that has some staggering lowlight videos that make the attractions easier to see than when I'm actually there.

Which kind of ruins that Louis CK bit about the resolution of your own eyes being better than your recorder.

FigmentsFangirl

OK question time to those who have rode the recently reopened ride, my family is contemplating a trip for my parents anniversary in january, Our question is thus, do the boats still take on water, or has that been properly addressed and fixed ?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
OK question time to those who have rode the recently reopened ride, my family is contemplating a trip for my parents anniversary in january, Our question is thus, do the boats still take on water, or has that been properly addressed and fixed ?
The boats were not changed so the problem is still there. I understand addressing it is still a work in progress.

fngoofy

Just got back from the World and rode PotC several times.
You get a splash, at the bottom of the waterfall, front row gets wet but not Splash Mountain wet. Second row gets wet like the front row used to, basically a spritz.
The boats though were not taking on water and frankly I was surprised after reading all the ink on this subject. Frankly, I think it now is the way it should be.... I mean you are going down a waterfall, I think there should be a spray and if you don't want to get splashed just ask the CM to not put you in the front.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
You get a splash, at the bottom of the waterfall, front row gets wet but not Splash Mountain wet. Second row gets wet like the front row used to, basically a spritz.
The boats though were not taking on water and frankly I was surprised after reading all the ink on this subject. Frankly, I think it now is the way it should be.... I mean you are going down a waterfall, I think there should be a spray and if you don't want to get splashed just ask the CM to not put you in the front.

I agree. A little splash or spray is expected and is part of the fun of the ride. A front-row drenching is not. Hopefully they have worked out whatever was causing this. I will probably still put my phone in a zip-lock bag if I'm in the front row, just to be safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom