Mainstreet USA raising starts today

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Sept 12, 2005, Mainstreet USA begins construction work to raise the street level and remove the curb.

Walls will appear at the Train Station first, allowing the critical flow of strollers from the new rental location (still a work in progress) to the street, sans curb.

Walls for this portion of the refurbishment (can you call raising the street level a refurbishment?) will block the street in Town Square until October 8th (weather permitting).

The parades will be rerouted and turn at the Emporium rather than circling Town Square during the construction.

Pongo

Awww no curb? That's kind of depressing. I like the curb... for some reason...? If you can like a curb at all.

Thanks for update, merf.

PS-Where do you get all this information? You're like a book.

imagineer boy

What?! I havn't heard anything about this before. Who's your scource. I kinda hope it isn't true, because the curbs really did add to the affect that you're on a street. And they also make a good sitting place for the parades.

PhotoDave219

imagineer boy said:
What?! I havn't heard anything about this before. Who's your scource. I kinda hope it isn't true, because the curbs really did add to the affect that you're on a street. And they also make a good sitting place for the parades.

So far, everything thats happening has already been mentioned within other circles, about a year ago.....

Should be done by christmas.

basas

Wow....i hadn't heard this either..and i really liked the curbs (I thought that flat hub was bad enough...). Hopefully it doesn't look like Tokyo's (which is all flat and the 'sidewalk' is just painted on).

AEfx

basas said:
Wow....i hadn't heard this either..and i really liked the curbs (I thought that flat hub was bad enough...). Hopefully it doesn't look like Tokyo's (which is all flat and the 'sidewalk' is just painted on).

It's unfortunate we all have to suffer fools who haven't mastered the fine art of walking and watching your setp, but so it must be done. :(

AEfx

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, considering all of the MK is on the second floor above the utilidors, what's another 5 inches?

*laughs till he snorts - so proud of himself for thinking that one up*

dflye

For crowd control during a parade, I always thought the curb was a better solution, as it is a very obvious physical line that you don't cross when selecting a viewing spot, versus the arbitrarily painted or taped lines elsewhere on the route.

Are they planning on filling in the streets at MGM next? :(

Why not tear out all the stairs at MGM (even though they have adjacent ramps), I'm sure those are a hazard for the curb-trippers as well! :mad:

I'd have to agree with AEfx, the people who currently can't handle a street with a curb are still likely to find something else to have issues with when navigating through the parks.

GymLeaderPhil

I'm know that even though Main Street is very well lit at night, I'm sure there have probably been a few trips and toes squashed on busy SpectroMagic nights.

I liked curbs and also understand why they have to go. I'm really surprised Disneyland didn't do away with them though, but they have a weird policy of asking the crowds to sit down during a parade (which never occurs).

TTA-ATW

It is still Main"STREET" USA right? Has anybody ever seen a street without curbs?? Safety can't be the issue here. Curbs are everywhere in the world, how can anybody in their right mind call a curb a hazard?

(Then again how can anybody in their right mind really stress about curbs in a theme park?)

dflye

TTA-ATW said:
It is still Main"STREET" USA right? Has anybody ever seen a street without curbs?? Safety can't be the issue here. Curbs are everywhere in the world, how can anybody in their right mind call a curb a hazard?

(Then again how can anybody in their right mind really stress about curbs in a theme park?)
I know that when walking down Main Street, if I am on the sidewalk, I feel much safer from the strollers zipping along out of control at mach-5, as most of them stick to the street. :lookaroun

Then again, now that I am a stroller pusher myself at times, I often cut through the Emporium to avoid crowds on Main Street, as I can get from City Hall to the Crystal Palace without bumping into folks who are staring at the castle while accidentally walking/strolling all over the people next to them! :lol:

PhotoDave219

TTA-ATW said:

Ive seen guests go flying over curbs because they dont pay attention to where theyre going.....

tigsmom

TTA-ATW said:

Since I live in a rural town, very few of the street have sidewalks & curbs, so yes, streets do exists without them. Curbs are a hazard and I have witnessed people falling off of them on Main Street as well as tripping over them. Not sure if removing them will improve things on Main Street, USA or not, only time will tell.

BiggerTigger

Main Street Rehab

Can someone tell me if during the Main Street Rehab they are taking out the "Leave Your Brains Here" counter at the enterance. Apparently I've missed this counter when I am the at the MK (or any other park) and maybe if people would quit leaving there brains at the door we wouldn't have to deal with idiots who can't keep tripping over a curb.

Why, Why, Why, theming was Disney's trade mark, what is next take out the plants because people have allergies, oh, I know, let's get rid of any animal that is acting like a human so children wont think that animals are really nice and can talk. This is called dumbing down America and has to stop.

Sorry! Now that I got that off my chest!

Dr Albert Falls

Why is everyone ASSUMING the curb would be removed to keep "stupid" people from "falling"??

Before visiting with both a baby and someone in a wheelchair, I guess I would have thought the same thing. But now I've got a new appreciation of how difficult such obsticles can be for strollers and wheelchairs to manuever.

If there is ONE place in the park EVERYONE would want to make it easier for strollers and wheelchairs, it would be the main entrance/railroad station.

Think about how congested that area gets right now. Parents stopping their strollers in the middle of the walkway to "jump the curb". Wheelchair-bound visitors and their entire families fumbling around, trying to find a curb ramp. Throw in a new stroller rental station under the RR, and you're talking an even bigger traffic jam.

Although I've never heard this "rumor"... it would certainly make sense.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Dr Albert Falls said:
Why is everyone ASSUMING the curb would be removed to keep "stupid" people from "falling"??

Before visiting with both a baby and someone in a wheelchair, I guess I would have thought the same thing. But now I've got a new appreciation of how difficult such obsticles can be for strollers and wheelchairs to manuever.

If there is ONE place in the park EVERYONE would want to make it easier for strollers and wheelchairs, it would be the main entrance/railroad station.

Think about how congested that area gets right now. Parents stopping their strollers in the middle of the walkway to "jump the curb". Wheelchair-bound visitors and their entire families fumbling around, trying to find a curb ramp. Throw in a new stroller rental station under the RR, and you're talking an even bigger traffic jam.

Although I've never heard this "rumor"... it would certainly make sense.

Amen! While I do think a good part of the curb-removal has to do with stupidpeople not knowing how to walk... I travel through Disney in a wheelchair and am very happy to know that now all of Main Street is going to be barrier free. The curb cuts and ramps are never where you need one and some people seem to think that a lower section of the sidewalk automatically means to stop and stand around on it. :hammer: I am sad to see the curbs go but I guess it has become a neccessity over time...Parade sitting should become interesting though. Guess it will be a lot harder now to keep people "behind the line" and out of the parade route. I say invisible electric fencing should work well though. :brick:

Marge10369

BiggerTigger said:
Can someone tell me if during the Main Street Rehab they are taking out the "Leave Your Brains Here" counter at the enterance. Apparently I've missed this counter when I am the at the MK (or any other park) and maybe if people would quit leaving there brains at the door we wouldn't have to deal with idiots who can't keep tripping over a curb.

Why, Why, Why, theming was Disney's trade mark, what is next take out the plants because people have allergies, oh, I know, let's get rid of any animal that is acting like a human so children wont think that animals are really nice and can talk. This is called dumbing down America and has to stop.

Sorry! Now that I got that off my chest!

I have to agree and the next thing to go will be the animals at Animal Kingdom which will be replaced with 3D pictures as not to cause people with allergies (I'M one) any discomfort

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom