Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am sure the difference is that these towers also included lights and other mechanicals.

Yes, but that sort of thing could have been installed later. They could have done the framework and exterior theming offsite and then did the internal stuff once it was in place.

dizneycrazy09

I think people are just more aware of the heat in AK because there are fewer indoor attractions in which for them to cool down in in between walking around.

That's probably true. All that I can think of when someone mentions the heat in AK is my grandmother repeatedly saying, "I think that they pump heat into the park to make it feel like Africa." :confused: She truly believes this to be a fact. Disney magic at its finest in her mind.

betty rose

That's probably true. All that I can think of when someone mentions the heat in AK is my grandmother repeatedly saying, "I think that they pump heat into the park to make it feel like Africa." :confused: She truly believes this to be a fact. Disney magic at its finest in her mind.
What a great imagination she has...she should work for Disney!:)

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

I'd love to hear the board room discussion on that one...

"So let me get this straight... You want us to pump in heat, to our theme park, in Florida? Sounds good to me!!" :D

BTW... to stay on topic, I'm liking what I see with the hub so far. Including the "grassy" areas. I like that people feel comfortable enough to lie down and relax for a while. I think the whole thing will look even better when the trees around the outside are in full bloom (maybe even some shade). I'm also glad that they put up a railing around Partners. It wasn't cool to have people sitting around that area when others are trying to get a picture of/with the statue.

wdrive

Disneyland's hub is much smaller and doesn't have many trees. They are larger, but the castle is not the main nighttime show. Fantasmic and World of Color are the major draws. Yes, those areas have been cleared and reconfigured to maximize attendance and profit.

With Fantasmic you may have a point, but the fireworks at Disneyland are still a huge nighttime draw irrespective of what else there is. Also there wasn't exactly much to clear out when they built World of Color. If anything, they've just added more by building it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Riigghhtt, Turn the Hub into a blazingly hot shadeless concrete wasteland for 12 hours all for 30 minutes of nighttime entertainment yeah that's a great trade...
Okay then, get rid of the castle projection show and fireworks altogether.
I'm sure that would be waaaaaaay cheaper, anyway.

Those of us who don't watch the castle shows and are content to watch the fireworks from just anywhere need to get over it. Just because I'd rather hit the rides and don't need a clear view of the hub, does not mean that thousands of others do not.

For me, nothing beats the fireworks from the PeopleMover or from Splash Mountain.

betty rose

Okay then, get rid of the castle projection show and fireworks altogether.
I'm sure that would be waaaaaaay cheaper, anyway.

Those of us who don't watch the castle shows and are content to watch the fireworks from just anywhere need to get over it. Just because I'd rather hit the rides and don't need a clear view of the hub, does not mean that thousands of others do not.

For me, nothing beats the fireworks from the PeopleMover or from Splash Mountain.
I'll have to schedule the people mover during fireworks. Thanks for the tip!

gmajew

Premium Member
Riigghhtt, Turn the Hub into a blazingly hot shadeless concrete wasteland for 12 hours all for 30 minutes of nighttime entertainment yeah that's a great trade...

Have you been on site yet to see the progress so far. The landscape in the new hub is really well done and with some maturity will look great.

Yeah no 40 year old trees but hey guess what they Have been gone for years. Progress sometimes sucks folks give this a chance to mature and grow as it is new construction.

Every day we noticed new things planted so they are working on making it look great.

Cesar R M

If I wanted to stand in the sun, I would do it in my back yard. It would save me a lot of money too. The point is that Disney is a company. Companies exist to make money. A shaded hub makes zero profit during the day. A open space for fireworks viewing makes money on those glowing gadgets they sell as well as other revenue streams. It is the same concept as FastPass. You make the company zero dollars waiting in line. Making the hub hot and uncomfortable will force people to move to the outer profit making parts of the park. I am not saying that was their reasoning, but a nice little perk for maximizing profits at night.
oh look.. the exact same excuse as always.
"disney is a business".
willy-wonka-wilder.jpg

If I had a 1 USD for everytime a fan said it online.. I would probably be above Warren Buffet in being one of the top billonaires.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Have you been on site yet to see the progress so far. The landscape in the new hub is really well done and with some maturity will look great.

Yeah no 40 year old trees but hey guess what they Have been gone for years. Progress sometimes sucks folks give this a chance to mature and grow as it is new construction.

Every day we noticed new things planted so they are working on making it look great.

So you don't like what they did with the hub?

Cesar R M

Maybe it's because I am from Louisiana, but am I the only one who thinks that people are drastically exaggerating the heat in MK? Like, yes, it's hot. You're also in Florida. Did you expect a balmy 72 degree breeze? I agree that trees are lovely and the shade is most welcome (and I agree about the trees helping to separate the themes of the areas), but is it really THAT bad? It's not like people will be hospitalized with heat stroke from a few minutes of strolling through the hub.
sadly, with the crowd levels.. you aren't just "strolling for a few minutes".
you have to wade thru sweaty people everywhere..
not to mention the 3pm parade stagnation makes it a bit worse.

I learned a long time ago to walk through the stores and shade-hop my way through the parks. I feel that in places Epcot is harder to find shade in, and AK feels much hotter. I can deal with MK just fine. We just avoid the hub all together as it's usually jammed with people and other than parades and shows, neither of which we're into at this time, there's no reason to face that.

Be careful when you generalize about people's medical (and mental) conditions. There are some who are in poor shape to start with and the humidity combined with the heat catches them off guard. And, just as there are helicopter parents who are diligent about taking care of their child, spraying them down and making sure they drink, I've seen many parents oblivious to a sunburned child as they watch the afternoon shows out in the hub. Perhaps trees would help them, probably not... but they did offer a visual oasis to make folk consider taking a break.

I honestly always felt AK to be the best of them all, due of all the shade and trees.

the worst was Epcot because the open areas.. at least there is a line of trees around most of the world showcase.

psuchad

oh look.. the exact same excuse as always.
"disney is a business".
If I had a 1 USD for everytime a fan said it online.. I would probably be above Warren Buffet in being one of the top billonaires.

Are you saying they should be a charity? It is not an excuse to say an entity is a business. It is a simple fact. They have to make money. When they stop making money, they go bankrupt and no longer exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom