Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Feb 6. To settle the confusion, as of park opening today, the only walls that have disappeared in the hub redevelopment is the cloth construction fence on the bridge between Crystal Palace and Adventureland. This revealed part of the hardscaping and new landscaping going in on the banks of the moat. The moat was being filled this week with clean water. The first two views (left to right) is from this bridge.

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

This view is from the wall in front of Crystal Palace. The original bridge (white) can be seen in the extreme left of the below photo. Lots of new vegetation.

IMG_4750.JPG

The "planter box" in front of the restrooms between Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant and The Plaza Restaurant is quite tall, and appears to be something other than just a "planter box."

IMG_4746.JPG

Last edited:

flyerjab

Photo update as of Friday, Feb 6. To settle the confusion, as of park opening today, the only walls that have disappeared in the hub redevelopment is the cloth construction fence on the bridge between Crystal Palace and Adventureland. This revealed part of the hardscaping and new landscaping going in on the banks of the moat. The moat was being filled this week with clean water. The first two views (left to right) is from this bridge.

View attachment 81773

View attachment 81774

This view is from the wall in front of Crystal Palace. The original bridge can be seen in the extreme left of the below photo.

View attachment 81775

The "planter box" in front of the restrooms between Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant and The Plaza Restaurant is quite tall, and appears to be something other than just a "planter box."

View attachment 81776

What are those tall green things with limbs that have infiltrated that part of the hub?

Suzanne Larmark

Oh landscaping...you have made my day. It would be nice if the walls were down by my trip Feb 19th, I won't get my hopes up though. Plus I purchased memory maker for the first time and was hoping to get a nice picture with the partners statue. Not looking good right now. o_O

Victor Kelly

Yup the walls are down then. The new stuff looks nice and the landscaping looks more lush.

The planter by the Plaza is probably another DVC thing :rolleyes:

those are usually open awnings, not enclosed like the one pictured it really looks too small to be a kiosk of any kind. I wonder if it has to do with that bypass right behind it they opened up recently for parades and firework shows.

dstrawn9889

View attachment 81773

View attachment 81774

This view is from the wall in front of Crystal Palace. The original bridge (white) can be seen in the extreme left of the below photo. Lots of new vegetation.

View attachment 81775

View attachment 81776
so a 60 inch deep planter? possibly a mature tree, and the utilidoors are right below, keeping them from planting it a grade?

brihow

Is the construction on the hub supposed to be completed by the end of 2015? I'm going in Spring 2016 and am hoping it will be done by then!

Brian

Huh, for some reason I thought I remembered reading spring/summer of 2015 back when this started. Must have been optimism. :)

I remember reading elsewhere on the site that they always set the expiration date well in the future of when they are foreseeably done to give them some room for setbacks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember reading elsewhere on the site that they always set the expiration date well in the future of when they are foreseeably done to give them some room for setbacks.

Not from what I have seen. If an explicit date is put on a notice of commencement it is usually pretty close to when they plan to have it done. It's not a problem if they need more time, they just file an extension which is what happened with the Fantasyland expansion. The contractor is going to want the expiration date to be as close to completion as possible since this is the date by which they are required to be paid in full for the project.

Brian

Not from what I have seen. If an explicit date is put on a notice of commencement it is usually pretty close to when they plan to have it done. It's not a problem if they need more time, they just file an extension which is what happened with the Fantasyland expansion. The contractor is going to want the expiration date to be as close to completion as possible since this is the date by which they are required to be paid in full for the project.

The member I was referring to was you :p so I guess I misread what you were saying at the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom