Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

peachykeen

How come no one has ever mentioned this until the moat was drained??

I posted this in October in the bypass thread:

It's quite possible. I haven't read every thread but if you say it's been discussed I believe you. Since it sounds like it's been discussed, I'll share what I saw.

The plans show taking out a large portion of the castle moat to expand the Casey's seating area by a fairly large amount, and also making basically a second "ring" of the Hub. There was more but I wasn't able to fully study the whole drawing.

And this in January

[irrelevant text removed by me]

Just after the new-year, a slew of emails were sent out about work resuming there and also the hub expansion project. The MK will have a lot of construction going on this year in the hub area.

That has started. The seating area there will become much larger (think Plaza landing).

Expect the moat to have a whole different look by the time the "second ring" of the Hub is done. Get your moat pictures while you can!

Luckily more of the moat is staying than I first saw.

Last edited:

wsmarino

Anyone have any idea how long this refurb will last? Nervous that there will be a ton of construction around the castle for my first trip to WDW over Spring Break. T.I.A.

MarkTwain

Photoshopped a quick aerial before and after:

Overlay_zpsbdcbcc66.jpg

Overlay2_zpsa504d758.jpg

It looks like there have been some more details revealed from the landscape site plan, but I didn't get to those. I'll have to put them in later.

The Visionary Soul

Photoshopped a quick aerial before and after:

Overlay_zpsbdcbcc66.jpg

Overlay2_zpsa504d758.jpg

It looks like there have been some more details revealed from the landscape site plan, but I didn't get to those. I'll have to put them in later.
That's a nice effort. You'll need to fill in (with land) a few things though and move some of the kiosks around the hub.

The Visionary Soul

Overlay3_zpseaa67eb9.jpg

Better? Not an exact replication of the landscape plan but hopefully gets the point across. I spent 6 hours today photoshopping site plans for work so I was a little burnt out when doing this :depressed:
You're getting there. The green areas closest to the left should have no landscaping or trees in them. They are basically fake lawns for FP+ viewing of Wishes. Closer to the Hub Ring, but along the same horizontal access, those should be landscaped with a small fountain in the center of each. Then, the kiosk that was there, you'll need to duplicate it and create 2 kiosks on the new side paths. And finally, the new pathways you just created leading towards main street, they should be a tad wider and more aligned all the way to the center hub.

Next Big Thing

What i'm most interested in is the Main Street Bypass. I've heard some say they are going big with it, but I haven't heard anything specific about what's going on there. Are we looking at a situation like the one at DL Paris or something a little less?
@TheVisionarySoul

Goofnut1980

Oh, I did, or at least I hinted at it. A couple others had hinted at it as well. But I didn't have these images to post. Now we have the images. So, here's some things I want you to understand about this project:

It's 100% necessary. If you have ever tried to navigate the Hub during a parade or fireworks show, you know what I am talking about. The current layout is just plain bad.

The new landscaping package was cut. I'm not too happy about that... it will still make the audience control cast members jobs very difficult with the creation of more areas where you can watch the parade and wishes from. Plus, I am always a big fan of trees. This new plan doesn't have them.

All this talk about "filling in half the moat" just isn't true. The water will still be there, all areas still connected. Those new FP+ viewing areas are built on new bridge extensions. Take a look. Very little is actually being filled in. The water still will flow in a complete circle around the Hub... it just won't be as wide in that area.

The two new fountains are a nice addition, as are the relocation of the tiny character sculptures that surround the Partners statue. Moving water always triumphs still water. Kinetic energy and all that you know.

On that map you see some areas of the pathway that are much darker with extra lines. Those are tubular steel reinforcements that are going in the concrete. That's because they expect parade floats to pass over those walkways. That said, I have no idea why they want a parade float to go down that new Main Street bypass, but that is exactly what they are preparing to do.

Looks like they are moving the two food kiosks in the hub to the outer ring. They are even cutting out an area of the remaining planter to use as a queue for those kiosks. That's actually good thinking.

Looks like the new tip board will be angled the opposite direction as it is now. Same with that tip board pin kiosk. I question the use of both of those. A tip board is no longer necessary to the parks, and that pin kiosk is useless. Why are they re-building those? Turn them into benches! (Something Main Street is actually lacking)

Anyway, that's my take on everything. Hopefully I was able to answer any questions you had as well as provide some extra informed opinion on the expansion.

Thanks!! That says a lot. What's the timeline to complete this? I was scanning the thread and might have missed that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom