Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

Otamin

So what is already the most soulless Magic Kingdom-styled park is about to get more soulless then? Great.

I assume it'll sadly look like this:

Many will view it as a minor change, or not even notice it, but to me it's a huge shame. Much like the trees being taken away from the hub and Main Street.

Last edited:

wogwog

So what is already the most soulless Magic Kingdom-styled park is about to get more soulless then? Great.

Many will view it as a minor change, or not even notice it, but to me it's a huge shame. Much like the trees being taken away from the hub and Main Street.

Since we are dreaming of days gone by do not forget the multitude of benches that have one by one gone away to a dusty life out of our view. A trusted source tells me many benches are lined up row after row in the back stage area. Don't sit and rest. Go, spend, look at your dumb phone as you keep moving you lemmings. Hurry it is time for another My Magic Minus event. Don't worry about falling we are removing all the curbs and benches so you won't trip. Go spend. Don't stop and sit.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Funny story. Was leaving after a parade and my mom was in a wheelchair for the first time ever. She usually walks and did most of the day but had fractured her spine a few weeks before and it was getting to her. Anyway, she is in a wheelchair, my wife is pushing and I'm leading, trying to weave through the stores to get out after the parade. They completely miss the curb and go straight over (or should I say down as in tumbling). They both are laughing hysterically that 'wife pushes mother-in-law off curb in a wheelchair'. Those are our Disney memories.

For us we see it as our own fault for not paying attention but others probably don't see it that way. That's life, things happen that you can't control and sometimes you get hurt. Yes, I agree it could have been worse if she was more immobile but we also should have been paying better attention. I would never want them to remove the curbs even after that first hand experience.
There used to be a saying that was quite common that would be apropos here:

s...It Happens

It happens to everyone and the best way to get over it is to laugh it off.

hpyhnt 1000

Blegh. So fake looking. Reminds me of those El Dorado Furniture stores with the mock "boulevard" in them. While MK prob won't look quite that bad, its still a step down (figuratively anyway, since you won't be able to physically do that in a few months).

Wikkler

If someone is on facebook and driving, and they hit a tree and destroy their car, is it facebook's fault, or the person's fault? It's a very similar scenario imo.
It's Facebook's fault for existing. Because people are always innocent, except when they aren't you.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Just saw a picture of the work in front of the Emporium and the construction walls were only at the middle of the sidewalk, with all the concrete from mid point to the building facade removed (curbs are still there). If the curbs are being removed, I'm wondering why the barriers are not out to the edge of the street. It would have saved money to rip out all the concrete in each section at one time, rather than half at a time.

I'm of the mindset that you watch where you walk and if you fall, that's your responsibility. Sidewalks are a part of life....all the way back to the Wild West.

JLipnick

It may not be a question of safety but rather easier traffic flow for busy periods as well as park closing crowds. It is very difficult to maneuver down Main Street with my son in his wheelchair stroller when we have to be on either the street (full of obstacles such as trolley tracks) or the sidewalk (obstacles such as street lamps and trash cans). It would much easier if we didn't have to worry about multiple levels. Although I admit I am not sure I like the idea of no sidewalks in terms of asthetics.

Goofyernmost

It may not be a question of safety but rather easier traffic flow for busy periods as well as park closing crowds. It is very difficult to maneuver down Main Street with my son in his wheelchair stroller when we have to be on either the street (full of obstacles such as trolley tracks) or the sidewalk (obstacles such as street lamps and trash cans). It would much easier if we didn't have to worry about multiple levels. Although I admit I am not sure I like the idea of no sidewalks in terms of asthetics.
I'm not sure that it has anything to do with safety, or traffic flow other then to prevent hundreds of people from parking their butts on the curb hours before the parade is even going to start, blocking passage of others just trying to get from one spot in the park to another. I'm not even sure it is happening. Mixed messages at this point. I am not really concerned if they do it that way, but it will not be same level at any rate. It will slope down toward the street but the street is going to be harder to define.

The Empress Lilly

I am just curious if the new concrete will be themed...
Hopefully, it will be themed to 'hyperreal representation of turn of the century town'. Black concrete would work miraculously for that.

Also, please no more bicycle, cart or animal tracks in concrete. It's getting real old real fast. And was never all that fun to begin with: a few tracks does not make concrete appear as mud. Or if it meant to represent actual concrete, few concrete is covered with that much tracks.

draybook

I'm not sure that no curbs would really bother me. And I agree with what JLipnick said about making it easier for those wo might be in wheelchairs and strollers.

wogwog

I am just curious if the new concrete will be themed...

No. Saw the first few squares tonight visible over the low wall protecting the work at the Emporium corner. Same "reddish" color as the old sidewalk only cleaner and brighter. The section completed lowered the section from the building wall out to the center of the side walk only a few inches. So it looks like the half of the sidewalk from the center to the street will have to be a ramp to get down to street level. Still only working on the corner which the Disney notice said would be completed on July 31.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom