Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

Animaniac93-98

Or better yet...make the kiddos walk. Why does EVERY child under 10 need to be in a stroller?

WALK? Are you insane!?

My DDSMSN precious little snowflake cannot possibly walk around for 8 hours straight in a hot and crowded theme park like my commando attitude dictates. For gosh sake he's only on his middle school's football team 3 times a week, there's no way he has the stamina for that kind of endurance.

AND he has ADD and I think it's pretty insensitive of you to assume he does not suffer from any life threatening illnesses. I am his mother's cousion's sister's former room mate and I think I'd know more about what's best for him than some annoymous online jerk like yourself.

The Empress Lilly

Sigh...

From Disney's standpoint, its understandable why the curbs would be removed, but yet another argument in the case that humans are devolving and the parks are being catered to the lowest common denominator. For 40 years the curbs were fine but now suddenly they arent. Can't risk that lawsuit by Joe Schmo and family because they let little Timmy run wild all over until he tripped and broke his ankle on the curb.

On a more practical note, no curb is going to mean less comfortable parade viewing - no more "bench seating" in the front row.
MS looks silly without curbs. Like the interior of a themed Vegas hotel, or a fancy mall.

Catering to the lowest common denominator indeed.

Goofyernmost

MS looks silly without curbs. Like the interior of a themed Vegas hotel, or a fancy mall.

Catering to the lowest common denominator indeed.
I think it was Shakespeare that once advocated doing away with all lawyers (permanently). The guy was ahead of his time. I have been totally amused actually, by the fact that the first thing anyone says anymore is, I'm calling my lawyer. It doesn't matter if that person is homeless, living off government subsidies or minimum wage jobs. I have inadvertently laughed out loud a couple of times when the words, I'm calling my lawyer, came out of their mouths. They didn't even have a phone, but they apparently had a lawyer on retainer just waiting for their call.

I'm 65 years old, raised a family, owned and operated businesses and I can honestly say that I don't have a lawyer and never have. I did hire a couple over time to keep me from being eaten alive during my divorce and a few that came with the territory for property closings. All very temporary and no one that I could call mine. It is, however, the four words that stops business in it's tracks and runs fear through the CEO's of the land.

To avoid the possibility of paying out they decide to just give them a part of what they would have gotten if they won a lawsuit. That makes those specific ones go away. However, it doesn't take long before the idea that saying those few words will get them some heavy duty pocket money. It snowballs, much like GAC abuse and before you know it millions of dollars are being spent just to defend yourself from having to pay millions of dollars. It is amazing how the irony of that is missed by so many supposedly intelligent people. But it is the world we live in at the moment. The tale is viciously wagging the dog and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it.

The Empress Lilly

I think it was Shakespeare that once advocated doing away with all lawyers (permanently). The guy was ahead of his time. I have been totally amused actually, by the fact that the first thing anyone says anymore is, I'm calling my lawyer. It doesn't matter if that person is homeless, living off government subsidies or minimum wage jobs. I have inadvertently laughed out loud a couple of times when the words, I'm calling my lawyer, came out of their mouths. They didn't even have a phone, but they apparently had a lawyer on retainer just waiting for their call.

I'm 65 years old, raised a family, owned and operated businesses and I can honestly say that I don't have a lawyer and never have. I did hire a couple over time to keep me from being eaten alive during my divorce and a few that came with the territory for property closings. All very temporary and no one that I could call mine. It is, however, the four words that stops business in it's tracks and runs fear through the CEO's of the land.

To avoid the possibility of paying out they decide to just give them a part of what they would have gotten if they won a lawsuit. That makes those specific ones go away. However, it doesn't take long before the idea that saying those few words will get them some heavy duty pocket money. It snowballs, much like GAC abuse and before you know it millions of dollars are being spent just to defend yourself from having to pay millions of dollars. It is amazing how the irony of that is missed by so many supposedly intelligent people. But it is the world we live in at the moment. The tale is viciously wagging the dog and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it.
Well said!

People have trouble dealing with curbs now - you know, curbs just like they have everywhere else in America?

TTA94

As nice as it would be, I am guessing there is not chance of them putting in brick? Please no one hate me for saying this but I think they Should take out the trolley tracks.. which SADLY just doesn't work with the crowds now a days :( and those tracks alone could cause someone, and Im sure they have, to trip over them... And for the parades I would think it would be better if the tracks were not there?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As nice as it would be, I am guessing there is not chance of them putting in brick? Please no one hate me for saying this but I think they Should take out the trolley tracks.. which SADLY just doesn't work with the crowds now a days :( and those tracks alone could cause someone, and Im sure they have, to trip over them... And for the parades I would think it would be better if the tracks were not there?
That's what they get for walking down the middle of a street.

AintNoOtherMan

No curbs? Really? That will look terrible. If someone wants to be stupid and bury his/her head in his/her phone, and they fall off a curb, let them. If they sue, it isn't Disney's fault that these people are unaware of the surroundings. I'm just tired sacrificing my conveniences and happiness for people who can't think on their own and do stupid things, and then sue someone who isn't responsible. I'm sure no one likes to. Welcome to 21st century America, though, right?

But I would love brick. I think it'd be really pretty :) Unfortunately, it'll never happen x:

AintNoOtherMan

But if their heads are buried in their phones because of NextGen crap, doesn't Disney have some liability?

That's where it's tricky. I don't know much about law, but if it were, I guess Disney would technically be at fault. I still feel like (personally, not legally) it's the person's fault for not using common sense and stopping, or just not walking near a curb. And I just have a feeling that a good amount of the time, it won't be NextGen. In the cases it is, though, it's a completely different story. Disney could always put a disclaimer on the app that says "Don't walk and use this app." or something like that.
But I also thought of this. If someone is on facebook and driving, and they hit a tree and destroy their car, is it facebook's fault, or the person's fault? It's a very similar scenario imo.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well said!

People have trouble dealing with curbs now - you know, curbs just like they have everywhere else in America?

I wouldn't be surprised tho if alot of the 'anti-curb' feelings come from dealings with the curbs during the complete body to body crowd scenes during a typical crowded Main Street night.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people hurt themselves trying to move through a space when they can't even see their feet. (double meaning on that one ;) )

wogwog

Visited MK today and noticed very little progress. Still working on the original area that they started with, the Emporium corner and extending maybe 50 feet up Main St and 50 feet toward the Barber Shop. The work is only from the building to the mid point of the sidewalk so far. All of the old sidewalk behind the wall has been removed but only one small section at the corner entrance to the Emporium has been finished. This area was on the original schedule to be completed today. Not even close.

wogwog

Normally I wouldn't be concerned about the effect this would have on parades, but Boo to You and the Headless Horseman would be for me. Any word on that yet?

Should not be an issue for the Headless Horseman. Expect the same type or similar curb replacement as was done years ago in front of the train Station. The issue to worry about is if the construction moves far enough into the street to not allow floats to pass. I am sure Disney will do everything possible to accomodate the parades including Halloween and Christmas.

n2hifi

I wouldn't be surprised tho if alot of the 'anti-curb' feelings come from dealings with the curbs during the complete body to body crowd scenes during a typical crowded Main Street night.

Funny story. Was leaving after a parade and my mom was in a wheelchair for the first time ever. She usually walks and did most of the day but had fractured her spine a few weeks before and it was getting to her. Anyway, she is in a wheelchair, my wife is pushing and I'm leading, trying to weave through the stores to get out after the parade. They completely miss the curb and go straight over (or should I say down as in tumbling). They both are laughing hysterically that 'wife pushes mother-in-law off curb in a wheelchair'. Those are our Disney memories.

For us we see it as our own fault for not paying attention but others probably don't see it that way. That's life, things happen that you can't control and sometimes you get hurt. Yes, I agree it could have been worse if she was more immobile but we also should have been paying better attention. I would never want them to remove the curbs even after that first hand experience.

The Empress Lilly

Funny story. Was leaving after a parade and my mom was in a wheelchair for the first time ever. She usually walks and did most of the day but had fractured her spine a few weeks before and it was getting to her. Anyway, she is in a wheelchair, my wife is pushing and I'm leading, trying to weave through the stores to get out after the parade. They completely miss the curb and go straight over (or should I say down as in tumbling). They both are laughing hysterically that 'wife pushes mother-in-law off curb in a wheelchair'. Those are our Disney memories.

For us we see it as our own fault for not paying attention but others probably don't see it that way. That's life, things happen that you can't control and sometimes you get hurt. Yes, I agree it could have been worse if she was more immobile but we also should have been paying better attention. I would never want them to remove the curbs even after that first hand experience.
That's so heartwarming!

I myself will visit WDW with a handicapped person, albeit not in a wheelchair. But she can't easily walk up a curb.
But why would we have all curbs removed? The basic idea is tohat we visit to see a gorgeous turn of the century street. If that's not there, why visit in the first place?

Just make WDW cleverly accessible. Ramps at entrances to shops and restaurants do wonders!

Frontierland / Liberty Square is more of a hassle. But please don't remove the...what are they called anyway...elevated porch floors.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For us we see it as our own fault for not paying attention but others probably don't see it that way. That's life, things happen that you can't control and sometimes you get hurt.

There in lies the difference... others not willing to take responsibility for their own actions... a court system that errs to the ridiculous... and hence businesses that act beyond paranoid.

I totally agree with your story... alas common sense is a dying art :(

olinecoach61

I don't like losing the curbs but I can see why the suits think its a good idea. What impact will this have on parades? I can imagine throngs of people just standing in the way without the curb to layout where people should save their spot. I'm not a big parade guy but this seems like its going to create issues.

meyeet

I don't like losing the curbs but I can see why the suits think its a good idea. What impact will this have on parades? I can imagine throngs of people just standing in the way without the curb to layout where people should save their spot. I'm not a big parade guy but this seems like its going to create issues.
Don't they use the rope lines to mark the parade perimeter on Main Street like they do in Frontierland? We don't usually watch from Main Street. It always seems less crowded in Frontierland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom