News Main Street Photo Supply Co. Being Replaced By Plaza Point Holiday Shoppe

Roger_the_pianist

The decorations above look great and fit really well with a true main street vibe. This is a solid win compared to the WDW confectionary that recently opened.

Yet it looks like the actual merchandise is pretty basic Disney Store type stuff and you can't purchase the old world decor that themes the shop.

Roger_the_pianist

I would say it's not even shoved down your throat. It's a blink and miss it detail.

Still the window displays don't scream *inclusive* to me. I'm gay but don't have to assume an ice skating couples sexuality or that the victorian kid in the next window display is their child...

But to say something else nice: I like the florals above the cashier that make this look like a working decor and floral shop. I like how the eyes are directed up by the victorian decor, and the display of kids in the center is nice.

Californian Elitist

I would say it's not even shoved down your throat. It's a blink and miss it detail.

Still the window displays don't scream *inclusive* to me. I'm gay but don't have to assume an ice skating couples sexuality or that the victorian kid in the next window display is their child...
Exactly. I’m straight and I’ve held hands with other women before. If she hadn’t have blatantly stated that it was a representation of her and her wife, I would’ve thought they were just two women skating together.

mickEblu

You’re not being forced to look at a window display of a lesbian couple ice skating with their biracial children. If you don’t care to see it, simply walk by.

Ok. When I go to Disneyland I’ll make sure to only look straight when walking down Main Street and not turn my head towards the shop and think about the video I just saw.

Anyway, I was referring to the video and all their other inclusive videos, changes and everything else coming from the parks blog these days. Plus it all BS. They re putting up a painting of two very traditional looking women during the holidays and giving them some lesbian backstory on the blogs. If you were just walking by and saw that painting you would never think “lesbian couple with biracial children.” I wasn’t even aware of the biracial children as I tuned out. Again, just them trying to have their cake and eat it too. Put up a 5 story Christmas tree but don’t say Christmas. Have two women ice skating in a traditional looking painting but give them a Lesbian back story on the parks blog that the older more conservative people won’t be watching anyway. Also, why do we need to know what any characters sexual orientation is at Disneyland stores, restaurants or attractions?

mickEblu

But to say something else nice: I like the florals above the cashier that make this look like a working decor and floral shop. I like how the eyes are directed up by the victorian decor, and the display of kids in the center is nice.

It’s shoving down our throat from a marketing perspective. From everything coming from the inclusive department and into the park blogs. It’s blink and miss at the park I agree. See my last post to Raven.

mickEblu

Exactly. I’m straight and I’ve held hands with other women before. If she hadn’t have blatantly stated that it was a representation of her and her wife, I would’ve thought they were just two women skating together.

That’s exactly my point. Well, part of it anyway

Californian Elitist

Ok. When I go to Disneyland I’ll make sure to only look straight when walking down Main Street and not turn my head towards the shop and think about the video I just saw.

Anyway, I was referring to the video and all their other inclusive videos, changes and everything else coming from the parks blog these days. Plus it all BS. They re putting up a painting of two very traditional looking women during the holidays and giving them some lesbian backstory on the blogs. If you were just walking by and saw that painting you would never think “lesbian couple with biracial children.” I wasn’t even aware of the biracial children as I tuned out. Again, just them trying to have their cake and eat it too. Put up a 5 story Christmas tree but don’t say Christmas. Have two women ice skating in a traditional looking painting but give them a Lesbian back story on the parks blog that the older more conservative people won’t be watching anyway. Also, why do we need to know what any characters sexual orientation is at Disneyland stores, restaurants or attractions?
At this point, you now know that there’s a skating lesbian couple in this store on Main Street. You know where it is, no? If you look at it, that’s on you. Lol.

It’s not backstory. The woman in the video said that the two ladies are her and her wife. It was relevant to her as the designer and as someone who purposefully put those personal details in. Context. Now, the part about everybody’s individual stories being seen in the window is definitely BS.

mickEblu

At this point, you now know that there’s a skating lesbian couple in this store on Main Street. You know where it is, no? If you look at it, that’s on you. Lol.

It’s not backstory. The woman in the video said that the two ladies are her and her wife. It was relevant to her as the designer and as someone who purposefully put those personal details in. Context. Now, the part about everybody’s individual stories being seen in the window is definitely BS.

It should just be a painting. Let it speak for itself. If a Lesbian couple wants to see themselves in it, fine. But we don’t need the damn imagineers story to tell us what it is.

Californian Elitist

It should just be a painting. Let it speak for itself. If a Lesbian couple wants to see themselves in it, fine. But we don’t need the damn imagineers story to tell us what it is.
She purposefully put herself and her wife in the display. It’s not a made-up story of a random lesbian couple. There’s a difference between this and say the Jungle Cruise changes.

I don’t believe it bothers you as much as you think it does.

mickEblu

She purposefully put herself and her wife in the display. It’s not a made-up story of a random lesbian couple. There’s a difference between this and say the Jungle Cruise changes.

I don’t believe it bothers you as much as you think it does.

Right but the act of them explaining on video that the artist did that is all orchestrated and unnecessary

No it doesn’t. I’m not losing any sleep- just an annoyance. The repetition of it all. Not to mention how disingenuous it is.

EPCOTCenterLover

I just say, if you're going to do it, keep everything subtle. This way parents get to choose to explain human sexuality to their kids at the time they see fit- not when Disney decides. It's kind and right to be considerate of others but especially to kids.

Californian Elitist

Right but the act of them explaining on video that the artist did that is all orchestrated and unnecessary

No it doesn’t. I’m not losing any sleep- just an annoyance. The repetition of it all. Not to mention how disingenuous it is.
It’s not orchestrated if the point is talking about “everyone’s stories.”

Agree to disagree, friend?

Parteecia

I never would have known about the lesbians if nobody brought it up, mostly because I watched the video on mute and skipped around. The store looks good, love the Christmas decorations, don't care for the lesbians. That's my review. Christmas at Disneyland is definitely the best time of the year. I'm perfectly happy with a year round Christmas shop. Although, they should throw in some Nativity scenes, so long as they're not sacrilege like having baby Yoda in the manger.
I would totally buy a Grogu in a manger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom