News Main Street Photo Supply Co. Being Replaced By Plaza Point Holiday Shoppe

DrAlice

I’m 29 and said to myself the exact same thing when I watched this foolery yesterday. It absolutely is nauseating and fake.

“Tell this amazing story?” What story? There is no story. When one of them painters said, “it makes me feel like I’m creating and being a part of the magic,” I said “you a damn lie” under my breath. I would have much rather preferred they had said something like, “we hope our guests enjoy the attention to detail,” or “we want our guests to have fun in this store as they anticipate some of their favorite holidays throughout the year.”

The buffoonery has gotten out of control.
A chair for you too! :D

Supreme Leader

I like seeing unique stuff for once. So glad its not more generic shirts and toys.
I hope this store will be selling more unique items that can only be found in this store but something tells me it's going to be the same generic "Disney" holiday merch that can be found all over the resort or online. :/

EPCOTCenterLover

Not gonna lie I have always loved the Main Street Photo Supply Co signage / decor but never went inside for anything actually in there. I think the concept art for this replacement still looks good but I will miss the red and gold exterior theme. The first time I went to Disneyland after getting myself a nice camera years and years ago one of the first things I took a picture of was the Main Street Photo Supply Co sign glowing in the evening because of how much I've loved it for some reason I can't explain why. Overall I guess I don't really care about this change, hopefully it'll be a better use of space inside and they pull off the theming of the exterior well so it blends in with the rest of Main Street.
I think the red and gold was an homage to the Kodak shop that was once a major sponsor of the park (and the original Journey into Imagination at Epcot as well).

TP2000

I'm getting very cynical, I think.

Disney's over-hype of a STORE is nauseating. It is not "an amazing space" or "an amazing story". It's A STORE.

I thought you were kidding, or exagerating. But then I clicked on the link and watched, and realized you were telling the truth.

If everything is "AMAZING!", like a theme park store selling Christmas ornaments, then nothing is actually amazing.

On the flip side, if you are actually amazed at this theme park store selling Christmas ornaments, then you must have been living alone in a dark cave for the last 40 years.

Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty and I'm glad they are keeping to theme (which should be expected, right??). I'm sure many guests will really enjoy this and Disney will make a ton of money. But at the end of the day: It's. A. Store. What's with the "look how immersed you will be" BS??

It's getting creepy. I'm not sure who they think they are kidding with this kind of stuff, but there it is.

I guess that's life in the age of social media. I don't think I would've seen commercials in the 80s to advertise a new holiday shop. It would've just appeared.

Yeah, exactly. And it would have been a cute place to spend 10 minutes, and maybe you would have bought an ornament. But now, it's AMAZING! and you are immersed in THE STORY! :hungover:
Ok. middle-aged lady "you kids get off my lawn" grumblings complete. Carry on...

No, no. Keep going. Or just join me on my old-man grumblings lawn. I've got lemonade. (Also some gin.)

Last edited:

TP2000

I’m 29 and said to myself the exact same thing when I watched this foolery yesterday. It absolutely is nauseating and fake.

When one of them painters said, “it makes me feel like I’m creating and being a part of the magic,” I said “you a damn lie” under my breath.

When he said that I thought "Oh, honey, it's okay. I'm sorry they are making you lie so hard." 🤣

Robbiem

‘Careful observers will notice displays that reflect seasonal holidays around the world and our ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.’

I wonder what other celebrations we will see merchandised and what ones we wont

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm getting very cynical, I think.

Disney's over-hype of a STORE is nauseating. It is not "an amazing space" or "an amazing story". It's A STORE.

Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty and I'm glad they are keeping to theme (which should be expected, right??). I'm sure many guests will really enjoy this and Disney will make a ton of money. But at the end of the day: It's. A. Store. What's with the "look how immersed you will be" BS??

I guess that's life in the age of social media. I don't think I would've seen commercials in the 80s to advertise a new holiday shop. It would've just appeared.

Ok. middle-aged lady "you kids get off my lawn" grumblings complete. Carry on...

I think the absolute worst part of this one is the fact that they're not even showing us the store! Just randos painting props in a room somewhere that will (presumably) be displayed somewhere in the store.

DavidDL

Regarding the comments about story in instances like these; each Disney shop, restaurant or attraction supposedly has one. Even if it may not be obvious, some kind of backstory is normally woven in even where you might not expect it.

At least, that's the way it was when I worked there. During my brief tenure as a Food and Beverage CM in '06, I was told the supposed story behind the Plaza Inn on Main Street (I cannot remember it anymore) and was encouraged to look into others. I did learn that apparently, Redd from Redd Rocket's Pizza Port is an interplanetary explorer who was upset at the inability to enjoy his favorite types of food (I guess Italian) over the course of his travels. So he decided to plant some roots and open up the Pizza Port as an in-between destination for fellow space travelers to stop and grab a familiar bite while exploring the galaxy. -and so that they wouldn't go wanting like he did.

...you'd never get that looking at the place but.. yeah, it was there, I guess. As silly as it was, I did think it was sort of cute. I don't hate the idea that they'd still be thinking up little stories that hardly anyone will ever care about or understand in these smaller locales but I certainly hope if they plan to oversell it that they make it more apparent than some of their previous outings.

Last edited:

TP2000

‘Careful observers will notice displays that reflect seasonal holidays around the world and our ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.’

I wonder what other celebrations we will see merchandised and what ones we wont

Well, they aren't going to make it easy to find. You are going to have to be a "careful observer". 🧐

I'm expecting a few shelves with some Hanukah things, and a few Kwanzaa things. A Lunar New Year shelf or two. Does Diwali use decorations?

But really, at the end of the fiscal year, the cynic in me thinks (and TDA knows this too), the sales from this shop will break down into the following merchandise categories:

Christmas = 75%
Halloween = 20%
Lunar New Year = 2%
Hanukah = 1%
Kwanzaa = 1%
Other = 1%

TP2000

Off-Topic Rant Warning, because it's not about this specific media statement about this specific amazing store that will immerse us, they are doing this lazy writing more and more about everything...

"Careful observers will notice displays that reflect seasonal holidays around the world and our ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion." -Kelsey Lynch, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

Do these PR people not read the words they type? Do they not have a good grasp on the English language? Did Ms. Lynch really mean to say that only "careful observers" will be able to pick out the displays and merchandise not related to Christmas? That the designers will purposely obscure those types of displays from the merely casual shoppers who aren't paying close attention? And that making the non-Christmas merchandise harder to notice actually supports an "ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion"???

Surely that's not what she meant with that sentence. But those are the words she used to convey her thoughts as a Public Relations Director, so maybe that's really what she meant?

We have an ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion, so we're making the non-Christmas stuff harder to find than the Christmas stuff! Good luck! 🤣

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

Why do all the newer Disney promo pieces feel so manipulative?
Because that's what they're designed to do. Ever since the 60th or so, their comms teams have cranked their mastery of the brand voice up to an 11, so when you're people like us - fandoms who digest every release - it comes nauseating quickly, almost like consuming too many sweets at once.

But, it's doing what it's meant to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom