News Main Street Photo Supply Co. Being Replaced By Plaza Point Holiday Shoppe

Parteecia

Main Street is an idealized "best" interpretation of a small town. Can't that include all kinds of diversity? No one's looking for reality there, as has been posted before (dirt streets etc.). If they were being real they'd be chasing out the BIPOC visitors.

When I was a young brown girl I would've loved to have seen this kind of possiblity. Everything was white men when I was growing up.

Doesn't excuse the Israel mistake though. That was just sloppy.

eddie104

Main Street is an idealized "best" interpretation of a small town. Can't that include all kinds of diversity? No one's looking for reality there, as has been posted before (dirt streets etc.). If they were being real they'd be chasing out the BIPOC visitors.

When I was a young brown girl I would've loved to have seen this kind of possiblity. Everything was white men when I was growing up.

Now see that’s what I believe as well but according to a few here it has to be historically accurate or that’s erasing history of certain groups of people. It seems like all hell broke loose in this thread after I asked a question a couple pages back.

That Israel part was definitely an amateurish mistake by the team responsible for crafting this story. Some of the ways Disney is trying to incorporate more diversity are sloppy at best but otherwise I’m glad to see more representation in the parks.

TP2000

When I was a young white boy, everything was white men. But they were ugly white men.

My dear, don't get me started on how homely and frumpy and lumpy our Founding Father's were. Apparently in the 1770's there was no JFK, or even an over-gelled Gavin Newsom. ;)

Founding%20Fathers%20Constitution%20Hall%201200.jpg

No kidding. In six days I'm relating this tale to a fabulous OC Jewess, and all hell will break loose! 🤣

I have no problem seeing non-white folks being included in the stories that Disneyland tells. I don't know anyone today that actually would. To be honest, I still am shocked that so few American Indians have been included in the stories of Frontierland. There's a glaring error, I'm sure most of us could agree on.

But, as Disney itself used to brag, "The magic is in the details".

The details here on this fabricated backstory of Miss Toro are either super-natural or non-sensical. She's an unmarried young Puerto Rican woman, and fabulously wealthy (ignore her ability to time-travel), and yet she also owns a Christmas shop in a small town in the Midwest circa 1905? That makes no sense. The basics of the story are all wrong, let alone the details.

They should make Miss Toro the proprietress of a shop on Buena Vista Street circa 1930. Or Hollywood Land circa 1940. Or the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area circa 1960. And then really flesh out her story.

In the Midwest and Plains States of 1905, where Main Street USA is set, there were primarily white folks and Black folks. So make the owner of this Christmas shop a Black woman, and don't pretend she's fabulously wealthy and can travel through time. That would be more respectful to the actual history of the theme.

This has nothing to do with the hard-working and clearly talented interior designer Ms. Keehne or her (likely) fabulous mother, by the way. This is about Disneyland, and what it tries to do and be for its visitors. The magic is in the details.

So don't waste this story of Miss Toro where it doesn't belong and it doesn't make sense for anyone who paid attention in high school history classes. Save this particular story for a location in DCA where it fits. And if you're the WDI writer for this project who barely graduated high school and isn't allowed in to the WDI Research Library, before you roll it out to the press spend at least 5 minutes on Google to check your work.

Because this current story of Miss Toro makes no damn sense.

Unless the magic is actually no longer in the details? I'd hate to think they've sunk that low. :(

Last edited:

TP2000

Now that I've typed out that above, this thought hit me...

The clueless HR teams of Burbank, Anaheim and Glendale probably couldn't wait for a store redesign in Buena Vista Street or Hollywood Land or Grizzly Peak. You know, where a properly researched and smartly rewritten version of this backstory would actually make sense.

They needed to prove NOW! that they were doing something about Inclusion! so they shoehorned in this bizarre story of a time-traveling Puerto Rican woman of fabulous wealth who also owns a Christmas store on Main Street USA that can't actually be called a Christmas store.

Now! We need it now! For Tik-Tok! The new fiscal year just started, we need to show we're doing stuff!

Time-traveling crazy rich Puerto Ricans in 1905 rural Missouri! You guys, we're doing stuff! 🥳

Last edited:

Parteecia

The details here on this fabricated backstory of Miss Toro are either super-natural or non-sensical. She's an unmarried young Puerto Rican woman, and fabulously wealthy (ignore her ability to time-travel), and yet she also owns a Christmas shop in a small town in the Midwest circa 1905? That makes no sense. The basics of the story are all wrong, let alone the details.
So where do you draw the line? Do you also change what flavors of CMs can work there? Go back to the '70s when I was assigned to the Mexican restaurant, my blonde blue eyed friend to Tomorrowland, and my mousier white friend to Main Street merchandising? I'd rather have this fantasy woman that the average visitor will never notice but some little girl might and feel better about herself. That would be Disney magic.

Parteecia

When I was a young white boy, everything was white men. But they were ugly white men.
Are you saying that you couldn't relate to white men having power because they were ugly and therefore not like you?

And I wasn't talking about the Founding Fathers but about everyone who was in charge when I was growing up. Unless you were, too ...

TP2000

So where do you draw the line?

I draw the line at reasonable business-based staffing decisions.

Do you also change what flavors of CMs can work there?

Nope. Again, they are running a business and the employee pool is just going to reflect the local OC community.

Although, if I had the ability to time-travel like Miss Toro, I would love to go back to Disneyland in the 1960's again and this time pay attention to see how they staffed stuff. Like only Pacific Islander girls working the Tiki Room for those first few years. But even then, by the early 70's they had white girls also staffing the Tiki Room.

Now Hiring Tiki Room Hostesses for 1963 Summer Season - Only Asians Need Apply
663-DL-99H.jpg

I'd rather have this fantasy woman that the average visitor will never notice but some little girl might and feel better about herself. That would be Disney magic.

That's really good enough for you? It falls far short for me. :)

I'd rather they put this fantasy woman in a theme that makes some sense, like Buena Vista Street. Put far more thought and care into her creation, so she's based in reality instead of poorly researched fantasy. And then when you've got a solid story behind her, don't abandon her in a forgotten press release, but actually make her part of the Show.

They've done this before to great effect. In 2012 when Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe opened on Buena Vista Street, the shop was owned by three girl singers, known professionally as the Silver Lake Sisters. It was all very well done, and fun. It had history and heart and at least 30 minutes of Google research behind it.

This is a real theme park story written by real Imagineers, not pandering by an HR Committee.

After their story was established by the 2012 opening of Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe, they actually had the Silver Lake Sisters start appearing in the park as a singing group, usually at special events.

This is thoughtful Imagineering that improves the park, not sloppy HR mandates that check a box.

Last edited:

TP2000

Are you saying that you couldn't relate to white men having power because they were ugly and therefore not like you?

I don't think I ever gave it that much thought. It was just the guys in the history books who founded the country. And stuff.

And I wasn't talking about the Founding Fathers but about everyone who was in charge when I was growing up. Unless you were, too ...

My dear lady, I'm not that old! :cool:

Parteecia

I don't think I ever gave it that much thought. It was just the guys in the history books who founded the country. And stuff.

My dear lady, I'm not that old! :cool:
You didn't need to give it thought because they were like you -- just uglier.

And I apologize for my final comment but it was an irresistible setup and I am weak.

AJFireman

Kingswell Camea shop has also been behind walls for several weeks. Will be interesting if they completely change the store and backstory.? Maybe they will use some of the suggestion here.
20211023_220444.jpg
20211009_211045.jpg

Disney Analyst

Interesting note from Micechat today:

"The store’s collection is intended to offer ornaments, housewares, linens and accessories, representing global holiday celebrations all over the world. However, you’ll mostly find familiar items at the moment as many of Disney’s upcoming holiday items remain stuck at sea in the container ship backlog (just like almost every other business you deal with). "

TP2000

Interesting note from Micechat today:

"The store’s collection is intended to offer ornaments, housewares, linens and accessories, representing global holiday celebrations all over the world. However, you’ll mostly find familiar items at the moment as many of Disney’s upcoming holiday items remain stuck at sea in the container ship backlog (just like almost every other business you deal with). "

I was wondering about that. It's probably good news they had over a year's worth of unsold merchandise from 2020, they are likely feeding off that while they wait for the current merchandise to come in.

I did a Target Run this past weekend and the shelves are increasingly bare. But when you drive the 73 Freeway over the Newport hills lately, all you see out at sea is a big parking lot of giant cargo ships just sitting out there.

It's worrisome.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I draw the line at reasonable business-based staffing decisions.

Nope. Again, they are running a business and the employee pool is just going to reflect the local OC community.

Although, if I had the ability to time-travel like Miss Toro, I would love to go back to Disneyland in the 1960's again and this time pay attention to see how they staffed stuff. Like only Pacific Islander girls working the Tiki Room for those first few years. But even then, by the early 70's they had white girls also staffing the Tiki Room.

Now Hiring Tiki Room Hostesses for 1963 Summer Season - Only Asians Need Apply
663-DL-99H.jpg

That's really good enough for you? It falls far short for me. :)

I'd rather they put this fantasy woman in a theme that makes some sense, like Buena Vista Street. Put far more thought and care into her creation, so she's based in reality instead of poorly researched fantasy. And then when you've got a solid story behind her, don't abandon her in a forgotten press release, but actually make her part of the Show.

They've done this before to great effect. In 2012 when Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe opened on Buena Vista Street, the shop was owned by three girl singers, known professionally as the Silver Lake Sisters. It was all very well done, and fun. It had history and heart and at least 30 minutes of Google research behind it.

This is a real theme park story written by real Imagineers, not pandering by an HR Committee.

After their story was established by the 2012 opening of Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe, they actually had the Silver Lake Sisters start appearing in the park as a singing group, usually at special events.

This is thoughtful Imagineering that improves the park, not sloppy HR mandates that check a box.

Just a quick clarification since you opted for one of my videos of these darling and talented girls I adored... :) -

When they first added that fantastic theming to the Pig Cafe (aside: when Five & Dime first began, "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" was part of their show in tribute to F,F, & P!) - I wrote about how the Silver Lake Sisters were the musical group you'd never hear at DCA:

https://mousertainment.wordpress.co...the-musical-group-you-will-never-see-perform/

Then some time later had to eat my words when the show actually premiered!

The Silver Lake Sisters appeared regularly inside The Tower of Terror for a brief but glorious few months in 2016 before the Tower was shut down for retheming. Until they arrived I had never been inside the building because I don't do thrill rides - but I loved the lobby theming that I saw during their show! They had multiple performances daily inside the queue - singing mostly Andrews Sisters' hits - and I had to deal repeatedly with CM's where after standing in the long line to get inside I explained "no, I don't want to go on the attraction - I just want to stand here and see the Silver Lake Sisters perform - yes I'll stand aside and let the queue pass". I became a regular there while the show lasted. Occasionally there would be grumpy CM's who literally told me I couldn't stand off in a corner out of the way - I had to go on the attraction or leave. #magical #thendontputashowinthequeue But that happened less often as the girls greeted me as a regular. :)

It was one of my all time fave shows in the park. It reminded me of Minnie's Fly Girls, which I missed. And of Five & Dime which I still adore to this day (and by the way they have new sets in the late afternoons - so even if you've seen Five & Dime before, go check out the afternoon sets - they're fantastic! Currently they're doing Halloween tunes for the season! And if you like Halloween music, I hope you're also visiting the Dapper Dans right now as well as the Scareolers out in Downtown Disney on the weekends - gorgeous harmonies!)**

** I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

P.S. SUPPORT PARK ENTERTAINMENT. That is all.

TP2000

Just a quick clarification since you opted for one of my videos of these darling and talented girls I adored... :) -

P.S. SUPPORT PARK ENTERTAINMENT. That is all.

Oh! My! Gosh! That is you!

I saw the title on that YouTube video, and stupid me thought "That's funny, there's a very knowledgeable poster on wdwmagic.com that has the same name."

Of course, it's the same person. Honestly, sometimes I am so dense. :rolleyes:

And I agree, little entertainment groups like these Silver Lake Sisters can really bring the parks to life, and give them depth and nuance and character that is invaluable.

My only wish is that if they are really going to try and add "Inclusion!" into the parks, that they give it more thought and more care than they clearly gave the time-traveling Miss Toro at the new Christmas shop.

The theme park division of the Walt Disney Company is clearly capable of that, as the Silver Lake Sisters prove to everyone.

Miss Toro, and the real woman she was based on, deserved more thought and more focus than she obviously received. It comes off as pandering and sloppy the way they handled it. And that's a shame.

Last edited:

TP2000

An additional thought on the above, just to separate it a bit...

What I find interesting, and a little alarming, is that there are some folks here who don't seem to care that the backstory of Miss Toro as the proprietress of the new Holiday Shoppe was done so sloppy and carelessly and ham-handedly. They only seem to care that she is not a white person.

I think anyone worthy of being included as an official backstory of any Disneyland location; ride, store, restaurant, etc. should have the full thought and care and resources of the Walt Disney Company put behind them before they appear in the park. Regardless of what race they are.

That was not the case for Miss Toro. Instead, she's a young Puerto Rican lady mysteriously living in a small town in the Midwest only a few years after Puerto Rico was emancipated during the Spanish-American war, and she's fabulously wealthy enough to travel the entire world as a small town shopkeeper, and she also can time-travel to 1948 Israel to procure non-Christmas stock for her Christmas shop.

And that's cool with everyone? We maybe didn't want to save the backstory of a fun, spunky Latina for a more thoughtfully researched and historically accurate version that placed her of Chicano heritage on Buena Vista Street circa 1930? And leave out the time-traveling gimmick? Just checking. :oops:

Last edited:

mickEblu

An additional thought on the above, just to separate it a bit...

What I find interesting, and a little alarming, is that there are some folks here who don't seem to care that the backstory of Miss Toro as the proprietress of the new Holiday Shoppe was done so sloppy and carelessly and ham-handedly. They only seem to care that she is not a white person.

I think anyone worthy of being included as an official backstory of any park location; ride, store, restaurant, etc. should have the full thought and care and resources of the Walt Disney Company put behind them before they appear in the park. Regardless of what race they are.

That was not the case for Miss Toro. Instead, she's a Puerto Rican mysteriously living in the Midwest only a few years after Puerto Rico was emancipated during the Spanish-American war, and she's fabulously wealthy enough to travel the entire world as a small town shopkeeper, and she also can time-travel to 1948 Israel to procure non-Christmas stock for her shop.

And that's cool with everyone? We maybe didn't want to save the backstory of a fun, spunky Latina for a more thoughtfully researched and historically accurate version that placed her of Chicano heritage on Buena Vista Street circa 1930? And leave out the time-traveling gimmick? Just checking. :oops:

It wasn’t cool with me. With that said, I came here to say that they did a really great job with the store. It looks like it could have always been there, which is the highest compliment. The marquee is great and the name is nice and simple which is so rare these days. I also completely forgot to look for the ice skating Lesbians. Which surprised me when I thought about it since I had so much to say the day they released that video. Anyway the inside of the store is very warm and festive.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Them and They, I’m going to go ahead And give Plaza Pointe the Hungry Bear Sign of approval. It deserves to be in the conversation with the Hungry Bear Sign and Tropical Hideaway as the three headed monster displaying the pinnacle of modern imagineering.

TP2000

It wasn’t cool with me. With that said I came here to say that they did a really great job with the store. It looks like it could have always been there, which is the highest compliment. The marquee is great and the name is nice and simple which is so rare these days. I also competently forgot to look for the ice skating Lesbians. Which surprised me when I thought about it since I had so much to say the day they released that video. Anyway the inside of the store is very warm and festive.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Them and They, I’m going to go ahead And give Plaza Pointe the Hungry Bear Sign of approval. It deserves to be in the conversation with the Hungry Bear Sign, Tropical Hideaway as the three headed monster displaying the pinnacle of modern imagineering.

Agreed! And this is the funny part, the store looks great and is a big improvement over the dark Kodak store that was there before. It looks fun and is a big improvement! :)

Ms. Keehne, as the interior designer who created this new Main Street space, is clearly a talented woman.

What's unfortunate is that the whole Miss Toro thing was saddled with this historically inaccurate and intellectually offensive "backstory" that seems to have been invented by a weak-kneed intern who wasn't allowed in to the WDI Research Library to double-check their own work.

Or worse, and this is where it gets scary, the backstory of Miss Toro really was created by an HR Committee who didn't care one whit about the park experience, and only spent 15 minutes on the project once they established that "she" would not be "white". And that's all they cared about.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom