Main Street Firehouse Gift Station Closing July 10

PHSCoach

Sad to see this go. Just hope that they do not put in a meet and greet. Would like to see it stay as a firehouse honoring all the Volunteer and Paid Firefighters that protect our great country from mans' worst enemy, Fire.

stratman50th

Is my memory failing me (yes) or didn't they keep the horses in there for a time? I know there's a real stable backstage a little ways, but I thought there were stalls in the firehouse too. I have never been in there since it was a gift shop. Please tell me they sell something other than the same old junk that's in the "Main Street Strip Mall" and every other Gift shop on property? Hopefully fire department related, or at least classic Disney.

JIMINYCR

Sorry to see that change. It was a nice little spot to venture into. I liked viewing the patch display to see any new additions. Glad to see that merchandise will be available at the Emporium. I always pick up a firefighters badge to add to my collection. Hope they continue offering those for sale.

Why?

:( Epic Fail! Remove a truly unique location for a Meet and Greet! :(

Why is it so bad to repurpose an underused location and make it accessible to more guests. If the firehouse theming continues and WDO puts Donald, Goofy, or Chip N Dale in the space with Firemen outfits on where's the problem? Especially if the unique merch is still kept at the emporium or at a cart outside?

bugsbunny

The merchandise in the firehouse has gone downhill tremendously in the last couple of years. As a 15+ year firefighter, I always stopped in during my visits to MK. Lately, all that was in there was a crappy longsleeved shirt and dog stuff, like leashes and bowls. :shrug:

I remember years ago being able to get prints and figurines showing various Disney characters as firefighters from old cartoons. I have a ciracell of Mickey coming out of a firehouse pulling a hoseline with Pluto and a ceramic figurine of Mickey turning on a hydrant with a huge wrench. And the shirts used to look like real fire department shirts that firefighters would wear while working a shift. Dark blue with the white logo over the heart. Mickey's face in the badge/logo saying "Magic Kingdom FD", "Station 71".

They stopped making them and its been going downhilll ever since. Sad to see it go, but I guess that's progress?

jt04

Why is it so bad to repurpose an underused location and make it accessible to more guests. If the firehouse theming continues and WDO puts Donald, Goofy, or Chip N Dale in the space with Firemen outfits on where's the problem? Especially if the unique merch is still kept at the emporium or at a cart outside?

Well said. It originally served as a minor attraction before being converted into a shop. That they would repurpose back into an attraction seems to be a step in the right direction. And if they do create a m&g that benefits everyone because they serve to absorb crowds which shortens lines elsewhere. win win.

COProgressFan

Because MK has become so "character" driven over the past 10 or 15 years that characters often seem to be the primary focus of the park, rather than unique themed lands and experiences.

Characters are a large part of the Disney park experience, but they are only one component.

skimbob

I'm kinda hoping it will be just, y'know, a fire station. :lookaroun Isn't that what the fire station at Disneyland is? )

Yes that is what DLs is. It's also home to Walt's living quarters while at the park. I was kind of shocked to see a shop in the fire station at MK.

I agree the whole M&G thing has gotten totally out of control. Every one of the parks has them in every little nook and cranny. I think the money could be better used. Uh Oh now I sound like everyone else that goes to WDW :ROFLOL:

jmuboy

Yes that is what DLs is. It's also home to Walt's living quarters while at the park. I was kind of shocked to see a shop in the fire station at MK.

I agree the whole M&G thing has gotten totally out of control. Every one of the parks has them in every little nook and cranny. I think the money could be better used. Uh Oh now I sound like everyone else that goes to WDW :ROFLOL:

If the space was set up as a firehouse with an old engine and some minimal theme to it related to a firehouse, I would be ok if they did meet and greets inside at certain parts of the day. But to make the firehouse PRIMARY purpose a meet and greet with that huge new theater across the way just seems silly. The whole princess side of the Town Sq Theater will be available in 12 months or so.

Fingers crossed someone does the RIGHT thing with this space. Then maybe we can get a REAL cinema back on main street next?????

DisneyNut2007

Why dont they just build a 5th park, Meet n Greet Kingdom. This stuff is taking over everything. The shop isnt a big loss as a shop but whats wrong with a little exhibit of some kind instead. Characters are taking over nooks and crannys, dining, and major buildings now that could/should be attractions, well in terms of the snow white location anyway.

(le sigh) Once an idiot, always an idiot.

mp2bill

As of July 10, the firehouse on Main Street will be closing. Plans for its replacement are currently in development. While the shop will be closing, the exterior of the building will remain as it is. Note that the practice of collecting and displaying patches from fire stations across the country/world will remain in some fashion or another. Also, much of the merchandise will be available at the Emporium.

Any idea why the plans to replace it haven't already been finalized?

The Empress Lilly

The theme of Main Stret is 'American turn of the (previous) century small town Main Street'.

The theme is not 'Duckburg Main Street'. It is great to have lots of characters roam MS. But they should roam a real-life MS, not Main Street Toontown.

alphac2005

Haha. Tell that to current management. You are 100% correct, but that sure isn't the current mindset.

That's for sure. They look at the meet and greets as additional "attractions" that costs them virtually nothing to operate. I miss when you could spontaneously just run across a character, not have a schedule to meet them, but it's all a part of WDW's modern manufactured memories that they are so into.

DisneyNut2007

Alphac, the characters can't roam freely as much anymore because:

1) They're prone to too much physical abuse from guests.

2) People want to be able to get good pictures with their favorite characters without other guests shoving in and getting in the way.

3) People love to meet the characters.

4) It's for the safety and comfort of performers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom