1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Main Street Electrical Parade and Paint the Night Closing, WDW inevitable?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by JustInTime, Aug 2, 2016.

1. GiveMeTheMusic

GiveMeTheMusic Well-Known Member

I don't blame anyone at WDW for wishing with all their might that PTN is coming their way. When your flagship theme park is running a 44 year old parade into the ground, things are in a sad, sad state of affairs.

Bacon likes this.
  2. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    • DLR was not as prepared as they thought they knew they were getting rid of it after the 60th
    • DLR is happy running a parade (night or otherwise) seasonally
    • WDW knows to god MSEP will be retired before their 50th
    • WDW will have a new night parade for the 50th
    • WDW does not want to be without a night parade for more that 9-12 months (9 months or less is preferable)

Wiicked and brb1006 like this.
  3. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

While some do wish PTN would come to WDW. Other including me don't want it to come to WDW and want another original electrical parade like the former Spectromagic parade which debuted for Walt Disney World's 20th Anniversary in 1991. But I'm having a feeling it might become a tough act to follow after Spectromagic ended.

MOXOMUMD likes this.
  4. rodserling27

rodserling27 Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear WDW isn't getting PTN. (I hated it anyway.) Are we delusional here? It's brand freaking new at DL, there's no way it's "glowing away" so permanently so soon from DL.

Ok.
    1. MSEP is my favorite thing ever. How about a retooled Wishes and Dreamlights-style makeover to the existing MSEP? They're already using the crappy Dreamlights version of Baroque Hoedown. So fix up the rest of it! Both are pretty synonymous with MK / WDW to me anyway, they've been around for so long. Just wishful thinking, I suppose...
    That being said...
    2. The Tinker Bell float is atrocious these days with the missing tarp on her balloon & out of sync/not working pixie dust.
    3. On several occasions recently, the sound has been out-of-sync on the Cinderella pumpkin float.
    4.They have had some sound issues with the underliner not transitioning properly into the closing window vocoder/fanfare of lights. They've changed it three times in the last year.
    5. Speaking of lights - the area lights don't even dim or come back up at the proper time anymore.
    6. Do they EVER have a full run with all the bugs and critters from the Alice Unit? Maybe once a week, yeah? Ugh.
    7. Elliot's steam rarely works.
    8. I can't hear a darn thing Alice or Pete say.
    9. Why is WDW letting this wonderful, classic piece of Disney history rot? Oh wait...it's TDO we're talkin' about here...nothing is sacred to them. NOTHING.

DznyGrlSD likes this.
  5. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member

Take this for it is worth, but yesterday entertainment front-liners at DL were claiming a big announcement was coming today.

And they are saying that PtN is coming to WDW (as absurd as it sounds) and MSEP will be returning to DL AGAIN in January. I have no way of verifying this at all, just passing it along.

6. mnelson3

mnelson3 Well-Known Member

Here we go again lol... IF there is any truth to this, I hope this Big Announcement is from the Parks Blog and not just among the CMs.

brb1006, spectromagic04 and Wiicked like this.
  7. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Man, you've been brining some of the worst news ever lately. Ugh, I hope this isn't true at all.

TexasErin, brb1006 and Rteetz like this.
  8. jrhwdw

jrhwdw Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Disney clear this all up, along with ROL! We've been talking PTN for a week now, now we added MSEP this week into the mix and we are no closer to ROL.

I know I saw a tweet yesterday regarding a live chat with WDW's Ambassadors this afternoon? I can't recall the time but, might be worth it to take a look.

9. mikenatcity1

mikenatcity1 Well-Known Member

I hope they mention once and for all what is happening- it's confusing to read PtN is confirmed to stay at DL, but confirmed to be moving to WDW. All I know is that i'm just sad it's not going to be at DL when i'm there Sept 17.

For what it's worth, looking at the schedule for MK, MSEP has no times after Dec 30 (while other attractions and entertainment do).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    brb1006 likes this.
  10. mnelson3

mnelson3 Well-Known Member

Is there a link to this live chat? Kind of doubt a Disney Ambassador would make this kind of announcement, but who knows.

spectromagic04 and brb1006 like this.
  11. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

I just heard separately that they do indeed plan to send Paint the Night to Florida while DL fixes up its "classic" MSEP (again). We will see if they follow through (and I'm not sure why WDW couldn't just fix MSEP itself. Perhaps this is just a cheap way to provide something "novel" for both Magic Kingdoms in 2017). With the changes coming to DL, they can use all the nostalgia they can get...

I'd rather see PtN at DHS, personally. More fitting there.

MOXOMUMD, V_L_Raptor, Kman101 and 6 others like this.
  12. TheDude23

TheDude23 Well-Known Member

It's pretty interesting seeing how strong both the "this is happening" and the "no, it's not" camps are on this topic. Usually it seems like mostly everyone is on the same page, but for this one it's hard to figure out what's really happening.

mnelson3, brb1006 and mikenatcity1 like this.
  13. MansionButler84

I believe it has been a bit of a snap decision.

Along these lines--WDW has had a nightly (or almost nightly) parade for many years and guests expect it, but MSEP needs a full refurbishment or replacement. DL can go back to running a parade seasonally (which they honestly would prefer due to nighttime crowding at DL), offering time for a refurb of MSEP. Out west, they will view an updated MSEP as a nostalgic treat while those of us on the East Coast will gladly watch our like-new hand-me-down and the always-cheap TDO can put out a "new" parade for pennies. As usual, it's not really the right decision for WDW, but it still functions as an improvement for us, so I guess I welcome it. WDW improvements of late usually stir an emotion along the lines of "well, this is better than nothing!" from me. And nothing is what we would have. I can't see MSEP surviving more than a year without a full refurb. And we won't get a new parade until at least 2021.

Stophie, V_L_Raptor, Kman101 and 6 others like this.
  14. brb1006

I loved the Dreamlights version way before they used it for the parade in 2009.

TheDisneyMagic likes this.
  15. mikenatcity1

What are the chances of Paint the Night actually returning to DL in the future? MSEP was originally run as a limited run with rumors of Spectromagic refurb being done (I saw it on tour being fixed up and got very excited) but then it changed and years later it will finally end.

brb1006 likes this.
  16. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

When put in these terms, I can grudgingly accept this garish cavalcade coming to our park. Given the choice of no nighttime parade or this, I guess I'd chose Paint the Night coming over.

MOXOMUMD likes this.
  17. brb1006

I remember Spectromagic was going to return for the third time since MSEP was originally going to be there for the Summer of 2010 but it lasted much longer.

18. MansionButler84

If it came in early 2017 and ACTUALLY left in 2021 for a new nighttime parade custom-built for WDW, I'd view it as acceptable. If it ends up being an excuse to can our 2021 parade, I'll be quite frustrated (and yet, that sounds like a very-TDO move, doesn't it?).

MOXOMUMD, Stophie, WildcatDen and 7 others like this.
  19. MansionButler84

They don't usually like to take things from WDW. We aren't always known for taking care of parades. If they put in the time and effort to fix up MSEP, they will (rightfully) want to keep it for themselves. It's no secret that the new 60th anniversary entertainment received less-than-glowing reviews, so in a sense I'm sure they are happy to see everything go.

20. mikenatcity1

I hope for DL's sake it doesn't stay for 5 years...let them enjoy the parade built for their celebration a little longer than a year just so another park can be cheap :)

Of course, on the flip side, the crowds at DL just for PtN were horrific- it will be nice to not have to fight those when going!

brb1006 likes this.