magnetron closing

WDWFanatic

Im really suprised they lasted as long as they did. I work commercial real estate and if i told a landlord i was bringing them a store that sold magnets he would laugh in my face!

MotherOfBirds

Can't say I'm heartbroken. However, it is a unique store that doesn't sell Vinylmation :lol:

It's sad to see how so many of these stores are selling the same things. They got rid of Virgin and the movie memorabilia place, so DTD is really starting to lose its appeal to me.

fbp

I'm a bit disappointed. I enjoyed looking around in Magnetron, but I never got around to buying anything.

I liked the sculptures that resembled old food.

The clothing store replacement doesn't excite me. But I just found out there is a vegan bakery at DTD these days. Sweet! I will be spending money there and I'll take the trade.

raiden

I'm a bit disappointed. I enjoyed looking around in Magnetron, but I never got around to buying anything.

I liked the sculptures that resembled old food.

The clothing store replacement doesn't excite me. But I just found out there is a vegan bakery at DTD these days. Sweet! I will be spending money there and I'll take the trade.

Where is this at?

TP2000

I understand that people thought Magnetron didn't fit in Downtown, but they're replacing it with Wet Seal which makes me think of the mall circa '95. Not sure I like this as a replacement...

BLINK by Wet Seal is not a full fledged Wet Seal store. It really just sells jeans and denim, and a few shirts and accesories. Here's the look of the Downtown Disney Anaheim store.
IMG_7296.jpg
blink_300.jpg

First Apricot Lane, now BLINK. What's next, a couple of Best Buy Gadget Magic kiosks? :lol:

It's a bit odd that the WDW Downtown Disney is now getting all the same stores that the Disneyland Downtown Disney already has. I wonder if the property management for both properties is being run out of Anaheim now? Or is it just a coincidence?

BrettslandinDca

Wow so sad too hear that Magnetron is closing I liked the fact that DTD had stores like this although I do have to agree it wasn't the best store there but seriously a wet seal ? didn't these stores fail miserably in the major shopping malls back in the 90's?lol If i want to buy clothes that are not Disney branded I would go to the outlet malls anyway and get designer for what they are charging at DTD overpriced and the same stuff in every store. I guess if this cookie cutter trend of store is going to continue there I find little uniqueness to DTD and probably will drop it from my places of must visit when going there so sad.....:cry:

G00fyDad

I will be glad when Magnetron closes. It always seemed pretty silly to us that a store in DTD that exclusively sold magnets had not a single Disney magnet in the whole store. Kind of silly.

And I agree with the OP when they said that if they buy a shirt in DTD it will be a Disney shirt. If I want a "hipster" shirt then I'll go look for an Urban Outfitters at an outlet mall. Otherwise, I'd prefer the stores in a Disney marketplace to be Disney merchandise stores.

I also think they should go ahead with the Hyperion Wharf idea but they ought to put it in Westside and turn the Pleasure Island section into the shopping section. That way people could still have their Adventurer's Club back and the bars and nightclubs as well. And families wouldn't have to walk through the section to get to the shopping. :cool:

COProgressFan

I will be glad when Magnetron closes. It always seemed pretty silly to us that a store in DTD that exclusively sold magnets had not a single Disney magnet in the whole store. Kind of silly.

And I agree with the OP when they said that if they buy a shirt in DTD it will be a Disney shirt. If I want a "hipster" shirt then I'll go look for an Urban Outfitters at an outlet mall. Otherwise, I'd prefer the stores in a Disney marketplace to be Disney merchandise stores.

Its interesting because in the early years of the marketplace there really wasn't even that much "Disney" merchandise to be sold. Which I agree is kind of silly, but the allure of the DTD shopping experience today isn't really all that much, considering the exact same merchandise can be found at shops all across property, in both resorts and parks.

I think they need to find the right balance of Disney and non-Disney merchandise at DTD. And this doesn't mean third party retailers either. WDW used to sell lots of merchandise that wasn't emblazoned with Disney characters or logos. Nowadays, however, there is a lot less of those items for sale.

G00fyDad

Its interesting because in the early years of the marketplace there really wasn't even that much "Disney" merchandise to be sold. Which I agree is kind of silly, but the allure of the DTD shopping experience today isn't really all that much, considering the exact same merchandise can be found at shops all across property, in both resorts and parks.

I think they need to find the right balance of Disney and non-Disney merchandise at DTD. And this doesn't mean third party retailers either. WDW used to sell lots of merchandise that wasn't emblazoned with Disney characters or logos. Nowadays, however, there is a lot less of those items for sale.

When I think of the stores that they should have in the DTD Marketplace I think of places like DStreet. If they want clothing stores that are not the traditional "park clothes" stores then that was the right way to go. But I have never seen the point in having some stores like the cigar shop in a Disney themed shopping area. :rolleyes:

Soarinluvr

I just want to say what is with all of the girl and female clothing stores at Downtown Disney? I understand women spend more money on clothes than men but I mean come on there has to be something down there for men other than Harley. Most of the time I don't want to go to downtown disney because there seems to be less and less stores for men to go into.

Mouse Detective

BTW, the artwork released for HW always showed the buildings still standing on the former PI as part of the plan. Since permits were just filed for work in these buildings rather than demo it does not indicate any major change to what was or is planned for HW. They were never going to be razed as that seems to have been only a rumor.

Well as I too pointed out on the Disney permits thread where you stated the same thing as above, you're wrong. The Save PI Blog posted the Commencement Notices last October which clearly stated that AC and BET were going to be demolished. The leaked blueprints posted earlier this year showed "Seed & Mulch" where BET and AC once stood. The concept art did not deal with the western part of PI.

But I have never seen the point in having some stores like the cigar shop in a Disney themed shopping area.

DTD management stated that they want the area to be more family friendly. So a cigar store and a cigar bar make perfect sense.

COProgressFan

DTD management stated that they want the area to be more family friendly. So a cigar store and a cigar bar make perfect sense.

Children smoking cigars...That certainly is a bold new vision! :ROFLOL:

It just another example of how everything that has been said publicly about the DTD project by Disney execs has been either half-truths, or nonsensical comments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom