magnetron closing

Kamikaze

Children smoking cigars...That certainly is a bold new vision! :ROFLOL:

It just another example of how everything that has been said publicly about the DTD project by Disney execs has been either half-truths, or nonsensical comments.

To be fair, Disney never officially said that the changes were to make it more family friendly. That's just one of jt04's crazy talking points.

Tom Morrow

When I saw the thread title I thought, "yay, finally!"

only to open the thread and find out its being replaced by a mall store. I'd rather have a tacky store full of hot dog shaped magnets nobody buys than a mall store.

jt04

Oh no, where will I get my hot dog shaped magnets now? ...good riddances that was all junk anyway. :rolleyes:

Exactly. If Disney announced they were opening a Magnetron store at DTD the same people whining about it closing would be declaring it to be a poor idea. They would compare it to the type of thing you find on merchandise kiosks in malls everywhere. They d&g crowd is pathetic.

Hypocrites. :rolleyes::lol:

jwarren3768

Magnatron open and magnatron closed:

G1Megatron_toy.jpg

^win!

raiden

Exactly. If Disney announced they were opening a Magnetron store at DTD the same people whining about it closing would be declaring it to be a poor idea. They would compare it to the type of thing you find on merchandise kiosks in malls everywhere. They d&g crowd is pathetic.

JT YOU are what is wrong with TWDC and WDW in general. Not to mention someone who desperatly needs attention. Although I enjoy reading your posts because it makes me chuckle that you are so naive and close minded. :ROFLOL::rolleyes:

raiden

To be fair, Disney never officially said that the changes were to make it more family friendly. That's just one of jt04's crazy talking points.

Actually the VP of DTD said they were trying to make it more family friendly in an interview. I guess that's official? I believe it's somewhere in my D-files magazine.

redsfan4life

More clothing stores just what we need and almost no reason for me to take the time from my visits to Disney to venture over to downtown disney. Nothing I want buy at the westside and no pleasure island. With Magnetron closing where is Britney Spears going to buy her magnets. Anyone else remember her going there when she was filming her concert at Disney .

Tom Morrow

No, you are missing the point. Nobody really cared about Magnetron, but its even more lame that they're just replacing it with a mall store. Thats prime "real estate" that was going to waste and is STILL going to be going to waste after this change.

invader

Putting something in it's place allows locals & tourists alike to shop there, which in turn adds money and help DTD gain momentum. Hopefully this will be beneficial in the future of DTD, good things don't happen overnight.

Tom Morrow

Putting something in it's place allows locals & tourists alike to shop there, which in turn adds money and help DTD gain momentum. Hopefully this will be beneficial in the future of DTD, good things don't happen overnight.
But one denim store isn't going to bring them to DTD.

Not when right down the road, we have two huge premium outlet malls, the Florida Mall, the Mall At Millennia, and who knows how many other shopping centers.

edit: off the top of my head, I can't even begin to count how many shopping centers there are within 10 miles of WDW alone.

raiden

Not when right down the road, we have two huge premium outlet malls, the Florida Mall, the Mall At Millennia, and who knows how many other shopping centers.

Indeed. My fam in FL will not be going to DTD to shop for clothes. They will be found at the Millennia or outlets. No reason for locals to be at DTD for clothes shopping either(unless Disney branded and even then wal mart has some better apparel.

These trendy coporate stores won't last long at DTD. And I can't wait for them to close. Now that's my bold vision.

jt04

edit: off the top of my head, I can't even begin to count how many shopping centers there are within 10 miles of WDW alone.

The same could be said for the west coast version but from all accounts these type shops are doing well out there. And it will help keep people on property.

Lee

Adventurer
The same could be said for the west coast version but from all accounts these type shops are doing well out there. And it will help keep people on property.
The slight difference that keeps coming to mind when comparing Anaheim's DTD with WDW's...
In Anaheim, most guests walk thrugh DTD to reach the parks. That gives the stores there a HUGE captive audience every day as guests arrive and leave. That DTD is not a destination in and of itself for most people.

In WDW, DTD is intended to be a destination for guests for food, entertainment and shopping. Almost an alternative to going to the parks. Without that captive audience, I would expect it to need stores that are more unique than just whatever can be found in a nearby mall. That's why the restaurants do pretty well over there...most people don't have a Planet Hollywood, T-Rex, Bongos, etc. near their homes. Helps make DTD a good dining destination. Shopping....eh...not so much.

Mouse Detective

Is Downtown Disney in LBV considered to be a theme park? I ask because this weekend is sales tax-free weekend in Florida but the exemption does not apply to stores in airports or "theme parks". So I'm wondering if stores in DTD get to offer tax-free or whether because it's in Walt Disney World they still have to charge sales tax. Anyone know?

BrettslandinDca

I totally agree with Lee DTD has awesome food and entertainment venues but the shopping is seriously lacking. I can remember when Disney had a small garden store and a few shops with more unique items the christmas store is always great to visit before the holidays to get stuff I think more interactive types of stores like the lego store are definitely needed or something along those lines lets keep it unique! seriously would anyone want to go if its just another mall ? I can go to a bigger,better,less crowdwd,better parking less traffic mall with waaaaaay better prices a few miles down the street from DTD.

71jason

Is Downtown Disney in LBV considered to be a theme park? I ask because this weekend is sales tax-free weekend in Florida but the exemption does not apply to stores in airports or "theme parks". So I'm wondering if stores in DTD get to offer tax-free or whether because it's in Walt Disney World they still have to charge sales tax. Anyone know?

A little late I know, but in the past, WoD has been exempt. I assume Apricot Lane slid in under the same exemption, tho I confess I did not stop by to check.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom