Magicbands and FP+ Impressions

G00fyDad

You obviously do not work in IT or a tech support role. The majority of people are technically inept and incapable (as you witnesses first hand). Some of the most educated people are the worst. I have been in the IT field for 19 years in the medical setting. Doctors and Nurses (highly educated) do not grasp computers or software applications very well. As an engineer I am that "lucky" person that gets to solve all my family (both direct and extended) and family friends computer problems. I am tired of it, so now I just start screwing up their electronic toys worse than they did, and then tell them "I don't know why it won't work..."
A lot of them don't even use there stuff now, unless it is email or general web reading, which is probably all they should be doing in the first place.

Actually I have worked in IT before, and have been working with computers as a side hobby for 22 years now. What I said about people not getting the concept equates to a person not putting their left foot in their left shoe properly. Its that simple. I get what you're saying, but that rationale doesn't hold up here in this instance. No one is asking these people to write code, or even install/use software. They are just being asked to place a small Mickey symbol against another Mickey symbol. That is not even an IT related issue. That is an idiot related issue. If you ask these same people to place two oranges next to each other on a table then they'd still "f" it up. If they cannot do even that simple task then I don't even want them operating a vehicle near me.

lostpro9het

. That is an idiot related issue. If you ask these same people to place two oranges next to each other on a table then they'd still "f" it up.
Win!

Can't agree more and felt the same way when we visited a few weeks back. I do put some blame on disney though as I think they need some signage to assist the idiots rather than waiting for them to screw up and hold the lineup even more.

danv3

From that perspective, the benefits you listed as being unique to the band...which are not, there is no appreciable benefit to the band over the card, even the older KTTW cards before integration of RFID. And, with the RFID cards, there is none (outside of the loss of the LR Bluetooth capabilities of the band, which is used by Disney for tracking). Period.

I regularly would go with two KTTW cards and my ID to the parks...have since 2010. No significant advantage there at all with the bands. In fact, when the kid gets tired of wearing her band (which she did)...it takes up a lot more pocket space than her card did.

QFT. The bands have a negligible at best effect on efficiency. I plan to stick with a KTTW card as long as it remains an option.

G00fyDad

I am asking for a KTTW too when I get there in November.

I don't blame you. I have several friends that go to Disney all the time and a few of them don't like the bands either. They'll be asking for the KttW cards too. I'll keep using the bands because I love them, but I understand that they are not everyone's cup of tea.

I wonder if someone could get the bands for the trip, then go to the front desk and tell them that they do not like the bands, get the KttW cards, and then put the bands back on and double dip on FP's? At least until the old FP machines go away.

jlsHouston

I don't blame you. I have several friends that go to Disney all the time and a few of them don't like the bands either. They'll be asking for the KttW cards too. I'll keep using the bands because I love them, but I understand that they are not everyone's cup of tea.

I wonder if someone could get the bands for the trip, then go to the front desk and tell them that they do not like the bands, get the KttW cards, and then put the bands back on and double dip on FP's? At least until the old FP machines go away.

Well that is sort of what I am thinking...I just don't want the inconvenience of the bands not working and if I have my KTTW card I can always use that. In a way the new system of 3 FP per day for one park will be fine for me since I rarely use more than 3 FP a day anyways, and my park hopping is usually for EMH where you really don't need FP to ride the popular rides or for dining. But my DD32 is having fits about being limited to 3 FP per day at one park....she is one of those that knows how to get 5-6 FP per day at multiple parks...

counselorgc

We are on our way home from Disney World. We honestly had a great week but MM+ really didn't make things any easier for us. Like others, the FP+ ride reservations made the day feel so rushed that it was ridiculous (except for a few days that is). I really enjoyed the touch to enter and touch to pay aspects of MM+ but I think 60 days out to reserve is far too long. I understand that so many people making reservations at one time could bog down the system but they could fix that.

Day One: MK and MNSSHP. We arrived at Art of Animation at 11am and our room was not ready. We walked around the resort and took some pictures until we got the text saying our room was available. We go to the room 2nd floor Ursula building and fine that my band and my son's band worked but my wife's did not work to open the room. Off to Animation Hall to get that fixed. This fix was super simple and there were no problems; it took all of 5 minutes. We had FP+ reservations for JC, LM, and something else all back to back at 3pm, 4pm and 5pm. I really hated that you can't overlap the times because most of the lines were so long that, in trying to do another attraction in the middle would mean we may miss our next FP+. We then did the party and it was great, but unfortunately my magic band popped off and I didn't notice until we were almost back to the room on the bus. Anyway, a quick trip to the front desk and I had a new magic band and the idea to use the glow in the dark slider (that we were given upon arrival) to secure the band further. Placing the slider over the place on the band where it snaps made it much more difficult for the band to pop off.

Day Two: Epcot. This day went ok but felt the most rushed of any and our FP+ reservations were spread out over the entire day. We also had lunch at Biergarten and did the Behind the Seeds tour. Throw in some of the F&W festival and you have an extremely busy day travelling back and forth between WS and FW. The one great thing about our times in Epcot for MM+ was touch to pay for F&W. The food lines seemed to run very smoothly. I was never carded even though I had my ID. The band did that miniscule amount of work for me.

Day Three: Animal Kingdom. Of all of the parks MM+ worked best here. We had FP+ for Nemo, Lion King, and the Safari. We were able to switch the FP+ from the Safari to Kali very quickly and that was great. We were able to do everything except Everest during this day because of the FPs for the shows. No standing in line forever to get into a show. Then went to Boma at AKL for dinner.

Day Four: DHS, Epcot, and MK. Had initial FP+ for TSMM, Star Tours, and tGMR. There was only one problem on this day. The MDE app was lagging so far behind that when I changed my reservation time for tGMR from noon to 4, the reservation did not show up in the app for about 30 minutes. I was unsure if it had went through or not. More on this later. Anyway, took the boat to Epcot for some food and wine then monorailed to MK for reservations at BOG.

Day Five: spent the morning at the beach then Epcot for more F&W. We had cancelled our MK FP+ for the morning so we could go to the beach. For this, we paid the price for not planning. Arriving midday, there were no FP+ or regular FPs available for Test Track or Soarin so we took what we could get. Nemo, SSE, and Turtle Talk, all of which, depending on the time of day, do not need FPs. Again, touch to pay was the best part of the whole thing.

Day Six: MK. Had FP+ for Splash, Big Thunder, and the M&G with Cinderella. Splash was down for a good portion of the day and we missed our reservation because of it. I did not receive the email about using the existing fastpass until 8pm. It is a good thing that I have explored how the system works and knew that I could just use the FP+ for some other attraction without having to make a reservation. We went back to splash anyway when it opened and had no issues with our bands at the time.

My thoughts before the MM+ experience: I thought that it would be great but wanted to reserve my actual opinion until after trying it. I thought the 3FP limit was ridiculous but was willing to give it a try.

Afterthoughts: I loved touch to enter and touch to pay. This, although a small portion of MM+ made things much easier, especially not fumbling to find a card to open a door with a stroller and shopping bags from the parks. Touch to pay was very easy, but made overspending extremely easy. I absolutely hate the way FP+ works. The limit of three means that those that go during busier times may not experience anything other than those three as all of the lines are inflated. According to Touring plans, we experienced days at parks ranging from two to seven. Even on days with miniscule crowd levels, the standby lines were upward of 20 minutes for every attraction, including those that usually have no wait. Also, photos taken from photopass photographers are usually available the next day if they scan your band, so I can see how PP+ would be great for some people.

jlsHouston

We are on our way home from Disney World. We honestly had a great week but MM+ really didn't make things any easier for us. Like others, the FP+ ride reservations made the day feel so rushed that it was ridiculous (except for a few days that is). I really enjoyed the touch to enter and touch to pay aspects of MM+ but I think 60 days out to reserve is far too long. I understand that so many people making reservations at one time could bog down the system but they could fix that.

Day One: MK and MNSSHP. We arrived at Art of Animation at 11am and our room was not ready. We walked around the resort and took some pictures until we got the text saying our room was available. We go to the room 2nd floor Ursula building and fine that my band and my son's band worked but my wife's did not work to open the room. Off to Animation Hall to get that fixed. This fix was super simple and there were no problems; it took all of 5 minutes. We had FP+ reservations for JC, LM, and something else all back to back at 3pm, 4pm and 5pm. I really hated that you can't overlap the times because most of the lines were so long that, in trying to do another attraction in the middle would mean we may miss our next FP+. We then did the party and it was great, but unfortunately my magic band popped off and I didn't notice until we were almost back to the room on the bus. Anyway, a quick trip to the front desk and I had a new magic band and the idea to use the glow in the dark slider (that we were given upon arrival) to secure the band further. Placing the slider over the place on the band where it snaps made it much more difficult for the band to pop off.

Day Two: Epcot. This day went ok but felt the most rushed of any and our FP+ reservations were spread out over the entire day. We also had lunch at Biergarten and did the Behind the Seeds tour. Throw in some of the F&W festival and you have an extremely busy day travelling back and forth between WS and FW. The one great thing about our times in Epcot for MM+ was touch to pay for F&W. The food lines seemed to run very smoothly. I was never carded even though I had my ID. The band did that miniscule amount of work for me.

Day Three: Animal Kingdom. Of all of the parks MM+ worked best here. We had FP+ for Nemo, Lion King, and the Safari. We were able to switch the FP+ from the Safari to Kali very quickly and that was great. We were able to do everything except Everest during this day because of the FPs for the shows. No standing in line forever to get into a show. Then went to Boma at AKL for dinner.

Day Four: DHS, Epcot, and MK. Had initial FP+ for TSMM, Star Tours, and tGMR. There was only one problem on this day. The MDE app was lagging so far behind that when I changed my reservation time for tGMR from noon to 4, the reservation did not show up in the app for about 30 minutes. I was unsure if it had went through or not. More on this later. Anyway, took the boat to Epcot for some food and wine then monorailed to MK for reservations at BOG.

Day Five: spent the morning at the beach then Epcot for more F&W. We had cancelled our MK FP+ for the morning so we could go to the beach. For this, we paid the price for not planning. Arriving midday, there were no FP+ or regular FPs available for Test Track or Soarin so we took what we could get. Nemo, SSE, and Turtle Talk, all of which, depending on the time of day, do not need FPs. Again, touch to pay was the best part of the whole thing.

Day Six: MK. Had FP+ for Splash, Big Thunder, and the M&G with Cinderella. Splash was down for a good portion of the day and we missed our reservation because of it. I did not receive the email about using the existing fastpass until 8pm. It is a good thing that I have explored how the system works and knew that I could just use the FP+ for some other attraction without having to make a reservation. We went back to splash anyway when it opened and had no issues with our bands at the time.

My thoughts before the MM+ experience: I thought that it would be great but wanted to reserve my actual opinion until after trying it. I thought the 3FP limit was ridiculous but was willing to give it a try.

Afterthoughts: I loved touch to enter and touch to pay. This, although a small portion of MM+ made things much easier, especially not fumbling to find a card to open a door with a stroller and shopping bags from the parks. Touch to pay was very easy, but made overspending extremely easy. I absolutely hate the way FP+ works. The limit of three means that those that go during busier times may not experience anything other than those three as all of the lines are inflated. According to Touring plans, we experienced days at parks ranging from two to seven. Even on days with miniscule crowd levels, the standby lines were upward of 20 minutes for every attraction, including those that usually have no wait. Also, photos taken from photopass photographers are usually available the next day if they scan your band, so I can see how PP+ would be great for some people.

What I really wish and hope is every guest visiting right now using My Magic and FP+ send an email or a letter to guest relations outlining the likes and dislikes of the system as to how it impacted their experience at WDW like you just wrote about.

G00fyDad

Well that is sort of what I am thinking...I just don't want the inconvenience of the bands not working and if I have my KTTW card I can always use that. In a way the new system of 3 FP per day for one park will be fine for me since I rarely use more than 3 FP a day anyways, and my park hopping is usually for EMH where you really don't need FP to ride the popular rides or for dining. But my DD32 is having fits about being limited to 3 FP per day at one park....she is one of those that knows how to get 5-6 FP per day at multiple parks...

I understand, but honestly, the band worked as intended this past trip. The issues we faced with them were the guests, and not the bands. The guests just couldn't get simple instructions. Mickey to Mickey. That's it, and these morons are touching the other side of the bands to the Mickey head, or they get in FP lines with no FP's thinking that the band gives them free unlimited FP's, or they don't even have a band at all and are fishing in their wallets and purses for their cards at the entry points.

G00fyDad

I think that this is because they have included the FP+ with regular FP and did not reduce the amount of FP's given out. What I mean is that I think they kept the amount of paper FP's that could be given out at the usual level and also allowed band users to get FP+ for those same rides. This increased the number of FP's given out each day and this also had the negative effect of increasing stand-by lines as well as FP lines.

s&k'smom

We are just back yesterday and had the magic bands, for room keys it was great for two days had issue with dd's but it finally after two visits to guest services worked, my had an issue one day but had the "regular" passes on me so they swiped that and we were all set, they had extra CM's on to help out but I have to say FP on some of the rides was way out of control. However all and all they are going to be a great thing once all the kinks are worked out.

ddrongowski

Definitions first:
LOVE
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
1. to take pleasure in; find agreeable or congenial: We all liked the concert.
2. to regard with favor; have a kindly or friendly feeling for (a person, group, etc.); find attractive: His parents like me and I like them.
3. to wish or prefer: You can do exactly as you like while you are a guest here.

So do you "love" or "like" the magic band?

ddrongowski

FYI, sounds like you were staying at a WDW resort, and as a perk you can have your purchased items shipped to your resort or you home for free. You do not have to carry them with you in the parks, or even from the parks, this also includes purchases at DTD.

ddrongowski

What I really wish and hope is every guest visiting right now using My Magic and FP+ send an email or a letter to guest relations outlining the likes and dislikes of the system as to how it impacted their experience at WDW like you just wrote about.
Already did, not that Disney gives a damn.

G00fyDad

Definitions first:
LOVE
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
1. to take pleasure in; find agreeable or congenial: We all liked the concert.
2. to regard with favor; have a kindly or friendly feeling for (a person, group, etc.); find attractive: His parents like me and I like them.
3. to wish or prefer: You can do exactly as you like while you are a guest here.

So do you "love" or "like" the magic band?

I LOVE THEM.

jlsHouston

I think that this is because they have included the FP+ with regular FP and did not reduce the amount of FP's given out. What I mean is that I think they kept the amount of paper FP's that could be given out at the usual level and also allowed band users to get FP+ for those same rides. This increased the number of FP's given out each day and this also had the negative effect of increasing stand-by lines as well as FP lines.

I think you are right about this...at least I am hoping you are right...

Rob562

FYI, sounds like you were staying at a WDW resort, and as a perk you can have your purchased items shipped to your resort or you home for free. You do not have to carry them with you in the parks, or even from the parks, this also includes purchases at DTD.

Delivery to your Disney resort is free.
Shipping it home is not free.

-Rob

G00fyDad

-Rob

Correct. Shipping to your home is $9.95 per item. We always get one of the large collage photo frames every trip. We have to have this shipped home since it has a huge glass front. It costs $29 but a total of $38 with the shipping included. That is the only thing we ever have shipped home, but it was worth it because it saves the front from being cracked or smashed in checked baggage. However, I would prefer for them to charge us per weight instead of per item. That way I would have far more items shipped home then just a collage photo frame.

ddrongowski

-Rob
Hmm that's interesting because when we were staying at AKL and bought some breakables in AK and the resort shop they shipped them to our home and did not charge us. Only did that once, so maybe they just liked us.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom