Magicbands and FP+ Impressions

BadTigger

Original Poster
We returned this past weekend after a nice 10 day WDW visit. We were lucky enough to get in on the latest round of Magicband and FP+ testing. Here are some of my impressions, though overall I loves the Magicbands and FP+.

Magicbands were super easy to set-up and worked with our APs. We also had people who had no tickets and a mix of old no expire tickets. Linking through the website or apps was nothing. Those who didn't have tickets were able to purchase at the resort and have the ticket put right on the band. One thing we were told if you have old no expire or multiple tickets for one person, on link one, then use the remaining time then link the other. Sometimes the system doesn't know which to take days off of.

THe Magicband work pretty flawlessly for the room, park and purchases. Though the system is a tad slow at times, you have to hold the band and wait for it to read. I use RFID cards for work to access doors and they work instantly. It's not he case with Disney. Also sometimes the room doors require a few times. From talking to CM friends this is due to issues with the door locks and not all locks have the same thickness of plastic which can have an impact on the RFID reader in the door.

Purchases were simple, tap the band enter the PIN and done. Only had one time the machine didn't work and we ended up getting our snacks for free, not a bad perk. If you are poolside or at a restaurant they have mobile scanners that work the same, tap the bad enter your pin and done.

Speaking of the pools, this is one of the best parts of the band. No longer do I need to worry about someone stealing my credit card, room key, ID when I'm in the pool. I got it all on my wrist. Same goes entering parks, no need to carry extra cards in my wallet.

FP+ is amazing. The best part is being able to plan our day before we leave. No longer do we need to run around the park to get a FP then do whatever to kill time. Now we know where and when we have to be at a ride before entering the park and can plan the day accordingly. The app worked very well and it scheduled FP+ times around any dinning reservations.

Other cool things are the new interactives that they are adding. Like the Pirates scavenger hunt in MK. You go to the little booth, you tap your band you get a map and you are off. If you are in MK do this at least once. The different interactive stations are really good and surprised us. It's so much more then a silly kiosk. We came across cannons that we set off, blow dart guns, explosions, again not cheap and not chessey.

As I said overall the MagicBand and FP+ were great. They worked really well without any major issues. Besides the occasional not reading, the only other issue is the turnstile layout. Having them front to back was a silly design. If someone with a wheelchair, scooter, stroller get's hung up on the front turnstile you kinda block the behind turnstile and it gets a bit messy. Also it's a bit weird security wise at times, as guards at the resort wouldn't even scan the band when entering and would just let you through.

G00fyDad

Another positive review of the FP+ and MM+. Nice. I am holding great hope that I will have as good of an experience in 6 days. :D Thank you for this information!

ddrongowski

Speaking of the pools, this is one of the best parts of the band. No longer do I need to worry about someone stealing my credit card, room key, ID when I'm in the pool. I got it all on my wrist. Same goes entering parks, no need to carry extra cards in my wallet.
Question on the ID thing. For purchasing alcohol in the parks and around the pool. Do you have to show ID or are they happy with only the band?

G8rchamps

FP+ is amazing. The best part is being able to plan our day before we leave. No longer do we need to run around the park to get a FP then do whatever to kill time. Now we know where and when we have to be at a ride before entering the park and can plan the day accordingly. The app worked very well and it scheduled FP+ times around any dinning reservations.

Headed to MNSSHP next week and have FP+ reservations for mid afternoon so we can sleep in, get to the park at our leisure, ride our favorites, and then hit the Haloween party. We LOVE the ability to schedule a few big rides without having to run all over the park!

Last edited:

Rob562

Question on the ID thing. For purchasing alcohol in the parks and around the pool. Do you have to show ID or are they happy with only the band?

Since the Band in no way actually identifies the user specifically enough to the CM, it can't be used for age-verification purposes. (Not to mention it's not a legal form of ID) You should always carry ID with you in the parks.

-Rob

ddrongowski

Since the Band in no way actually identifies the user specifically enough to the CM, it can't be used for age-verification purposes. (Not to mention it's not a legal form of ID) You should always carry ID with you in the parks.

-Rob
Thanks, that is what I figured, but everyone keeps saying that "xxxx didn't have to carry id" etc.. Also Disneys line of "With a MagicBand on your wrist or a card in your pocket, you’ll travel lighter throughout your vacation." No sure how they figure this, as the kttw card didn't weigh that much. Also during the test, don't they give and suggest you carry both?

BadTigger

Original Poster
Thanks, that is what I figured, but everyone keeps saying that "xxxx didn't have to carry id" etc.. Also Disneys line of "With a MagicBand on your wrist or a card in your pocket, you’ll travel lighter throughout your vacation." No sure how they figure this, as the kttw card didn't weigh that much. Also during the test, don't they give and suggest you carry both?
In general you'll travel lighter. And if you aren't drinking alcohol then you wouldn't need an ID with you, and even then you'll only need your band and ID. Not Room Key, Ticket, ID, Credit cards etc. And yes they do suggest for now having both the band and card but the cards will be phased out once the system is fully launched.

BadTigger

Original Poster
Headed to MNSSHP next week and have FP+ reservations for mid afternoon so we can sleep in, get to the park at our leisure, ride our favorites, and then hit the Haloween party. We LOVE the ability to schedule a few big rides without having to run all over the park!
Planning out the day was the best part. We knew we had X ride at this time so we could do other things in that area instead of going to a ride to find the FP time, then deciding stay in that area or go elsewhere.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
In general you'll travel lighter. And if you aren't drinking alcohol then you wouldn't need an ID with you, and even then you'll only need your band and ID. Not Room Key, Ticket, ID, Credit cards etc. And yes they do suggest for now having both the band and card but the cards will be phased out once the system is fully launched.
Sortof.

It's Florida law that you must present photo identification when requested by an officer of the law in the course of him conducting an investigation into suspected criminal intent and / or loitering (both very loose statutes). While the laws (FL 901.151 and FL 856.021) are not explicit as say, Louisiana, where you MUST provide ID and carry it with you at all times, it is listed in the statutes as a considerable factor the officer may use when deciding whether to arrest you or not.

In addition, in FL, refusing to identify yourself (which, I hate to say it, could be saying "I don't have it, it's at the hotel" and that rubs the officer the wrong way, is a criminal offense.

Best just to carry some photo ID anyway.

Additionally, if you lost your band, and you went to Guest Services or your Hotel Front Desk, I strongly suspect you will be asked by Disney to provide photo id, among other questions.

Also, all the benefits you described about the band...the RFID KTTW card does as well, and has for years (room key, ticket, cc room charges all on one card). And, I doubt the RFID card will be completely phased out anytime soon. It will most likely become a "request at front desk" option.

From that perspective, the benefits you listed as being unique to the band...which are not, there is no appreciable benefit to the band over the card, even the older KTTW cards before integration of RFID. And, with the RFID cards, there is none (outside of the loss of the LR Bluetooth capabilities of the band, which is used by Disney for tracking). Period.

I regularly would go with two KTTW cards and my ID to the parks...have since 2010. No significant advantage there at all with the bands. In fact, when the kid gets tired of wearing her band (which she did)...it takes up a lot more pocket space than her card did.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Now, one you didn't list that the new RFID KTTW cards and the Bands both do is integrate with Photopass.

But...both formats (card and band) do this...so, again, no appreciable advantage one way or another.

ddrongowski

Saturday MK
Check in using magic band, had issues that they had us booked multiple times with multiple rooms and to many people, but it got worked out.
FP+ worked fine, except BTMR was broken and CM wasn't able to give us a FP as we had FP+. Directed us up to the kiosk that he said was near liberty bell area. Unable to find kiosk, asked another CM in Christmas store, after 10 minutes she told us that it was next to the shooting arcade in the tunnel, and it was. The system told us to use our FP+ for HM, MI, POC, Buzz, speedway, BTMR, Splash, or Space mountain, up to park closing, but it would not be valid for EMH's. The system also sent an email to my yahoo account, but I do not carry on vacation at WDW.

Sunday DHS and MK
FP+ for TSMM was very nice to have.

Monday AK and MNSSHP
Cancelled our ADR for today on Sunday, because it with FP+ makes things to rushed, and pressured. Tried here and now on MM+ application, works on Ipod, fails Samsung android devices. Tried multiple times thru the day same results.

Tuesday DHS and DTD
Tried here and now on MM+ application, works on Ipod, fails Samsung android devices. Tried multiple times thru the day same results. Even after verifying Andriod was up to date, and MM+ application was also. Did an uninstall and reinstall, same results. MM+ messed up when going to view FP+ times on smartphone. Had DW showing she used all her FP+'s already although we had only been in the park 20 minutes. Had to go to the kiosk area in the front of the park, were it took 30 minutes for them to get it straighten out. It took them 4 of there own mobile pads before it would read a band. They said they are having serious issues with MM+ application. Oh and straightened out means that our original FP+ time was no longer available, and made planning to get to the next FP+ selections feel rushed and pressured.

Wednesday Epcot
All 3 FP+'s worked without a hitch today.

Thursday DHS and DTD
Used FP+'s for RR and TOT. Did not use our third FP+ that day, but figured we would see what other attractions we could swap it for, but MM+ said nothing was available.

Friday AK
Used 2 of our 3 FP+'s, one for EE, and the other for Dinosaur. Tried to alter the third that was for Kali, but MM+ said there were not options available.

Saturday MK
Used all three FP+'s for BTMRR, SM, and HM. Also got a paper FP for buzz.

Notes
We purchased PP+ and the band does not work for attractions or character meets (this was also on their website in the FAQ area). We did loose pictures that we put on the band, and reverted back to the PP+ card only. Also when we mentioned this to one of the photographers he said the bands don't work most of the time for the pictures, even though it makes mickey go green. Also we wound up having pictures that were not ours. If you decide to try and change you FP+ option for a park that day, it seem to fail most of the time. Heard others discussing this also. The WIFI signal is not equal across all devices, our Samsung had low db, but an Ipod had better db. The WIFI signal db in the parks, etc… needs to be enhanced greatly if it is going to be usable.
My magic band never got comfortable, but I am a big guy, and have 8.25" wrists. As far as I am concerned the band is a solution looking for a problem, or is a great idea without any merit. Just stick with the cards with an RFID chip. Also they will gladly sell you a "band securer" for $5.00 because the bands pop open a lot according to them.
$2 billion on MB/MM+/FP+, and still the yeti is broken, the sign at the bizarre is frozen, the captains projection system at POC is broken, and the mermaids, look nothing like mermaids anymore. Lights are still burnt out all over the place on property, refrigerators are now not in the rooms except for special cases. Main pools are closed when life guards are not there. I'm thinking they need to spend money wiser.

Weather_Lady

Saturday MK
Check in using magic band, had issues that they had us booked multiple times with multiple rooms and to many people, but it got worked out.
FP+ worked fine, except BTMR was broken and CM wasn't able to give us a FP as we had FP+. Directed us up to the kiosk that he said was near liberty bell area. Unable to find kiosk, asked another CM in Christmas store, after 10 minutes she told us that it was next to the shooting arcade in the tunnel, and it was. The system told us to use our FP+ for HM, MI, POC, Buzz, speedway, BTMR, Splash, or Space mountain, up to park closing, but it would not be valid for EMH's. The system also sent an email to my yahoo account, but I do not carry on vacation at WDW.

Sunday DHS and MK
FP+ for TSMM was very nice to have.

Monday AK and MNSSHP
Cancelled our ADR for today on Sunday, because it with FP+ makes things to rushed, and pressured. Tried here and now on MM+ application, works on Ipod, fails Samsung android devices. Tried multiple times thru the day same results.

Tuesday DHS and DTD
Tried here and now on MM+ application, works on Ipod, fails Samsung android devices. Tried multiple times thru the day same results. Even after verifying Andriod was up to date, and MM+ application was also. Did an uninstall and reinstall, same results. MM+ messed up when going to view FP+ times on smartphone. Had DW showing she used all her FP+'s already although we had only been in the park 20 minutes. Had to go to the kiosk area in the front of the park, were it took 30 minutes for them to get it straighten out. It took them 4 of there own mobile pads before it would read a band. They said they are having serious issues with MM+ application. Oh and straightened out means that our original FP+ time was no longer available, and made planning to get to the next FP+ selections feel rushed and pressured.

Wednesday Epcot
All 3 FP+'s worked without a hitch today.

Thursday DHS and DTD
Used FP+'s for RR and TOT. Did not use our third FP+ that day, but figured we would see what other attractions we could swap it for, but MM+ said nothing was available.

Friday AK
Used 2 of our 3 FP+'s, one for EE, and the other for Dinosaur. Tried to alter the third that was for Kali, but MM+ said there were not options available.

Saturday MK
Used all three FP+'s for BTMRR, SM, and HM. Also got a paper FP for buzz.

Notes
We purchased PP+ and the band does not work for attractions or character meets (this was also on their website in the FAQ area). We did loose pictures that we put on the band, and reverted back to the PP+ card only. Also when we mentioned this to one of the photographers he said the bands don't work most of the time for the pictures, even though it makes mickey go green. Also we wound up having pictures that were not ours. If you decide to try and change you FP+ option for a park that day, it seem to fail most of the time. Heard others discussing this also. The WIFI signal is not equal across all devices, our Samsung had low db, but an Ipod had better db. The WIFI signal db in the parks, etc… needs to be enhanced greatly if it is going to be usable.
My magic band never got comfortable, but I am a big guy, and have 8.25" wrists. As far as I am concerned the band is a solution looking for a problem, or is a great idea without any merit. Just stick with the cards with an RFID chip. Also they will gladly sell you a "band securer" for $5.00 because the bands pop open a lot according to them.
$2 billion on MB/MM+/FP+, and still the yeti is broken, the sign at the bizarre is frozen, the captains projection system at POC is broken, and the mermaids, look nothing like mermaids anymore. Lights are still burnt out all over the place on property, refrigerators are now not in the rooms except for special cases. Main pools are closed when life guards are not there. I'm thinking they need to spend money wiser.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry things didn't go more smoothly for you!

ddrongowski

I have to have ID on me as I am driving a car, and I am very glad I had my credit card on me, because the limit had been reached an the CM did not know how to get the limit cleared. This was in the restaurant in China and we had already eaten. Is the band okay? yes it is, but honestly they should have spent the $2 billion on fixing what was broken first. Funniest thing was while in AK a manager (white shirt) asked me how I liked the band. When I explained to them that I do not see how it "makes me travel lighter" she said "well you do not have to carry a bag". Then she realized I did not have a bag, so she changed her response to "well your wife doesn't have to carry a bag", and then looked at my wife who has never carried a bag at WDW. She then said "well you guys already figured out how to go light". But then I raised the question of the weight of a "smartphone or tablet" that is being suggested to be carried.... She immediately had a light bulb moment, I also mentioned that tablet people will still have a bag with them to carry the tablet in... Another light bulb moment.

Was using the band inconvenient? No, but using the KTTW, rfid card or credit card wasn't/isn't either.

One thing we did notice is that the FP lines were much longer than in previous years.

G8rchamps

One thing we did notice is that the FP lines were much longer than in previous years.

We were just there this weekend and the FP lines are out of control- the 2 seconds per person to scan in is way slower than flashing a paper pass. All the money they spent putting in the readers and now they may have to move them further back into the cue- Toy Story was backed up to Jack Sparrow!

ddrongowski

We were just there this weekend and the FP lines are out of control- the 2 seconds per person to scan in is way slower than flashing a paper pass. All the money they spent putting in the readers and now they may have to move them further back into the cue- Toy Story was backed up to Jack Sparrow!
Yep 19OCT13 Saturday, space mountain was backed up to astro orbiter.

G00fyDad

We just got back from WDW and used our Magic Bands for everything. I too was a little surprised to see just how bad the FP lines were. The FP lines easily stretched far out into walkways and toward other attractions while goobers attempted to figure out what "Mickey to Mickey" meant. :rolleyes: My God, it wasn't even that hard. Touch the MB Mickey head to the Mickey on the pole and BAM you're in! As we got closer to the FP entrances we would consistently hear stuff like:

"This isn't the stand-by line??" (No. It isn't.)
"No, wait. Let me try again. I know we had FP's for this ride." (No, you don't.)
"GREAT!! Where is his band now?!?! Why doesn't he have it on?" (Because he is a kid.)
"I have a 1:00PM FP. Am I going to be able to ride if I get in this line?" (It would be 1:15PM)

Why can't people get this concept???? Touch the Mickey head on the band to the Mickey head on the pole. Simple. If you do not have a FP for that ride then do not get in line! If you do and you are withing 5 minutes early to 15 minutes late then stay in line! This was my second biggest headache during this entire past trip.

ddrongowski

Why can't people get this concept???? Touch the Mickey head on the band to the Mickey head on the pole. Simple. If you do not have a FP for that ride then do not get in line! If you do and you are withing 5 minutes early to 15 minutes late then stay in line! This was my second biggest headache during this entire past trip.
You obviously do not work in IT or a tech support role. The majority of people are technically inept and incapable (as you witnesses first hand). Some of the most educated people are the worst. I have been in the IT field for 19 years in the medical setting. Doctors and Nurses (highly educated) do not grasp computers or software applications very well. As an engineer I am that "lucky" person that gets to solve all my family (both direct and extended) and family friends computer problems. I am tired of it, so now I just start screwing up their electronic toys worse than they did, and then tell them "I don't know why it won't work..."
A lot of them don't even use there stuff now, unless it is email or general web reading, which is probably all they should be doing in the first place.

jlsHouston

Well that is depressing and y'all are all visiting during reduced crowds time.... I can imagine Thanksgiving will be...slow moving..oh well I am never in a hurry at WDW and it's a good thing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom