MagicBand+ announced

mikejs78

Premium Member
Presumably this is to relieve pressure on Disney’s end of the system by means of making products their customers bought obsolete. It doesn’t matter if the bands aren’t used much more at the parks or if there will be an option to reactivate (which let’s be honest, would probably be difficult to find for average vacationers without extensive knowledge if the app). The fact is Disney is presumably planning on putting the burden on customers to “fix” their IT system that’s held together by duct tape instead of actually investing themselves.
I mean, tech goes obsolete. Magic Band 1 came out in 2013 - the same year as the iPhone 5S. Does anyone cry foul because Apple doesn't support the iPhone 5S anymore?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yes, no one ever complains Apple preemptively cuts short the useful life of their products in an effort to nudge consumers to upgrade

Sure, people complained about that - because Apple was doing it to 1-2 year old phones. We are talking about an 11 year old device.

And it's not like they are even dropping support. It may be something on the server end that they are maintaining in order to support MB1 that they need to upgrade, and existing connections don't migrate over cleanly because of some technical decision made years ago. These things happen over time.

999th Happy Haunt

Sure, people complained about that - because Apple was doing it to 1-2 year old phones. We are talking about an 11 year old device.

And it's not like they are even dropping support. It may be something on the server end that they are maintaining in order to support MB1 that they need to upgrade, and existing connections don't migrate over cleanly because of some technical decision made years ago. These things happen over time.
From my pretty limited understanding this can’t be true unless they take every MB2 offline too. Internals are exactly the same no?

jinx8402

Presumably this is to relieve pressure on Disney’s end of the system by means of making products their customers bought obsolete. It doesn’t matter if the bands aren’t used much more at the parks or if there will be an option to reactivate (which let’s be honest, would probably be difficult to find for average vacationers without extensive knowledge if the app). The fact is Disney is presumably planning on putting the burden on customers to “fix” their IT system that’s held together by duct tape instead of actually investing themselves.
Yeah, this sounds like trying to optimize the database system by removing bands that are still active but not used. Though a more logical thing would be anything that hasn't been scanned in 5 years is automatically deactivated. But, perhaps they don't store that information so doing all Serial #s on MB1 is the only option. I would imagine a vast majority of those have not been used in a while.

I think as long as there is a way to re-activate this is a total non-issue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Perhaps this has to do with the issue from years ago that some guests found who had scads and scads of MBs (thanks to getting one for every resort stay). Some of them stopped working because there was an internal limit that MDE could track. They were told to deactivate the ones they weren't using any more.

Gillyanne

Looking at my MB history on MDE, I have a ton of cards, half are already marked "inactive" as well as a bunch of MBs, some marked "Void." I don't even know what that means.

Now if only they'd also give us the option to delete them off our accounts all together; even better if we could add them back later if we wanted to. I have a total of 38 bands/cards on mine; and maybe 5-7 I'd want active anymore (My MB+s and at least a card, and MB2 or 2 for backup).

jinx8402

Now if only they'd also give us the option to delete them off our accounts all together; even better if we could add them back later if we wanted to. I have a total of 38 bands/cards on mine; and maybe 5-7 I'd want active anymore (My MB+s and at least a card, and MB2 or 2 for backup).
Yeah, it'd be nice if you could delete them completely. My guess is that the tables stores all MB and has a reference key to a user. This might be why they can't be deleted because they would then lose track of that Serial Number already being linked to a person and we know it can't be transferred to someone else. Then what happens is there is a continuous sync to either a local DB at each park and/or to each touch point. This is similar to how badge systems work and that I support at work. Our database is constantly updating each door's contact with active cards.

The number of active MB may be starting to be a burden that is causing lag in the entire system. De-activating MB that are likely not even being used will optimize the entire system

999th Happy Haunt

Magic Bands have an electronic serial #. They get activated after purchase. They can be deactivated and reactivated. The rumor is Disney is going to deactivate all 1.0 bands, the entire group of serial #s associated with those bands. Rumor is guests will have the ability to reactivate those bands.
I meant that it can’t be an issue with a server transition/upgrade that doesn’t work nicely with MB1 because MB2 works exactly the same and they’re not discontinuing those presumably

lewisc

I meant that it can’t be an issue with a server transition/upgrade that doesn’t work nicely with MB1 because MB2 works exactly the same and they’re not discontinuing those presumably
This thread is speculation based on a rumor.

I'll join those who think cleaning up the database may improve efficiency. There appears to be issues if a guest has too many MBs active.

Chip Chipperson

This thread is speculation based on a rumor.

I'll join those who think cleaning up the database may improve efficiency. There appears to be issues if a guest has too many MBs active.
Yep. I ran into this issue a couple years ago when my wife and I couldn't use or bands to open our room door when we checked in. Fortunately, the front desk was able to figure it out and get our bands working. I've deactivated a bunch of old bands since then.

Touchdown

Yep. I ran into this issue a couple years ago when my wife and I couldn't use or bands to open our room door when we checked in. Fortunately, the front desk was able to figure it out and get our bands working. I've deactivated a bunch of old bands since then.
So have I but I still have issues from time to time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom