MagicBand+ announced

aaronml

But a lot of people do, and they also have phones, which manage notifications very well even without a watch. I can't imagine the simple lights and vibration would be any use at all as a notification system just to tell you to then take out your phone to get the info.
Yup. You also won’t be able to easily book Lightning Lane entrances without at least one person in your party having a smartphone.

This would be more useful if Disney wasn’t already starting to treat smartphone-free guests as second-class citizens.

G00fyDad

The vibration I could see being used for notifications through Genie.

"Your Mobile Order is ready for pickup!"
"Your Lightning Lane is about to start!"
"Your table is ready at Liberty Tree Tavern!"

Not everyone has a smartwatch, remember.

Most have a phone.

ToTBellHop

They said virtual scavenger hunts with the play app. Maybe a limited interest, but something some guests would be interested in for sure. Sounds like it'll have Bluetooth low energy if it can interact with a phone. Likely means they can add to it over time as phone/beacons can send info to it (isn't this how the light up ears worked?).
Definitely fun for elementary age kids.

Gringrinngghost

Nothing in the FCC Database from what I can find so far, but it's interesting. I give these products the same lifespan of like 3 years before they just don't talk about them ever again.

Funny thing is,
"Interact with the “Disney Fab 50 Character Collection,” the golden sculptures spread throughout the Walt Disney World theme parks and Experience nighttime spectaculars in a new way as you see your band light up and complement the magic in the skies, including the new “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park."

Want to know what else could do this? Glow with the Show and Made with Magic, two lines that are completely dead. Hell, just so I an run my MwM Ears, I have to have a android phone with Wifi off to even do that with a sideload of the Shop Disney Parks App.

So, I highly doubt anything useful will come from these.

Gringrinngghost

But they are not held on that wrist only by a flimsy piece of semi-hardened rubber nub, ;) I don't trust this to hold on an expensive piece of tech.
I have some from another company (totally different style) where the securing system is metal. I should reach out and ask what the different in the BoM would be.

aaronml

Nothing in the FCC Database from what I can find so far, but it's interesting. I give these products the same lifespan of like 3 years before they just don't talk about them ever again.

Funny thing is,
"Interact with the “Disney Fab 50 Character Collection,” the golden sculptures spread throughout the Walt Disney World theme parks and Experience nighttime spectaculars in a new way as you see your band light up and complement the magic in the skies, including the new “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park."

Want to know what else could do this? Glow with the Show and Made with Magic, two lines that are completely dead. Hell, just so I an run my MwM Ears, I have to have a android phone with Wifi off to even do that with a sideload of the Shop Disney Parks App.

So, I highly doubt anything useful will come from these.
From a photo online, the FCC ID appears to be 2AYEL-7282.

Usually Disney directly registers things like this with the FCC under one of their standard corporate entities. In this case, the FCCID belongs to a shell company. The only other company I’ve seen do their FCC filings that way is Amazon, though I’m sure there are others.

Given the recent “Hey Disney” partnership, it’s possible that Amazon might be involved in the creation of the MB+ also.

Gringrinngghost

From a photo online, the FCC ID appears to be 2AYEL-7282.

Usually Disney directly registers things like this with the FCC under one of their standard corporate entities. In this case, the FCCID belongs to a shell company. The only other company I’ve seen do their FCC filings that way is Amazon, though I’m sure there are others.

Given the recent “Hey Disney” partnership, it’s possible that Amazon might be involved in the creation of the MB+ also.
I also read off that same FCC ID.

2AYEL-7282 - Magicband+
- FCC Authorization 2021
- Rechargeable battery
- LED lighting and Haptic feedback
- 2.4Ghz Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Availability: 2022 (Manual under FCC Confidentially agreement until 2022-03-29)

Clamman73

The vibration I could see being used for notifications through Genie.

"Your Mobile Order is ready for pickup!"
"Your Lightning Lane is about to start!"
"Your table is ready at Liberty Tree Tavern!"

Not everyone has a smartwatch, remember.
I thought about that too about a mobile order or like a table is ready kinda thing, or room is ready, etc….It might not be the main way to be notified, but it does it at the same time as sort of a secondary notification.
Like if you’re using Apple Maps and watch it’ll give you taps for what’s left and what’s a right turn coming up.

LSLS

I'll take my guess. $60 for the band. Charger costs extra.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't put more features in so they can charge a ton more.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My first thought was, I wonder if they worked with imagineering on this to make it more of a...let's say Wii-mote type of thing for certain attractions.

I could see that having potential

No Name

I’m surprised they didn’t go full on Disney MagicWatch and make it something that people could reasonably buy and wear outside of the parks too. Not that they still couldn’t. But this feels kind of gimmicky for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom