magical express gone at the end of year?

wannabeBelle

If you are willing to spend the money and are working under serious time constraints for your arrival date or departure date, I would say sure go with the cab service at 40-50 dollars each way. I am not usually under any pressure to make it anywhere so the time thing isnt a problem for me. As far as dealing with my luggage, I LOVE the idea of DME doing it. Last trip I came in got on myy shuttle ran off to AK for E:E, did a bunch of other stuff and when we got back to our room there was our bags with no assistance from me or my party!!! I can deal with that rather nicely!!!!!!! Belle

lewisc

I agree they won't make any changes based on complaints BUT the loss of revenue from the franchise fees paid by the rental car agencies and other tranpsortation companies COMBINED WITH THEIR COMPLAINTS may cause the airport to increase the fee they charge Disney. THE INCREASED cost may cause Disney to start charging for DME.

RonAnnArbor said:
Disney would never worry about discontinuing something because of the compaints of any of the Orlando non-WDW based companies. They complained about many many things over the years. ...

LouDisney

wannabeBelle said:
My understanding is that the service will be free until the end of the Happiest Celebration on Earth. After that there may be a fee but it hasnt been stated as to what that fee might be. I cant imagine Disney just scraping the whole thing as it really is a brilliant business move, get guests on your property and have them spend all the money there, not to mention a great service. I havent had one major problem with the service since I have started using it last May. I hope it stays around!!!!!!!!!!! Belle

I called them a month ago to ask them about ME and that is what they told me, free during the celebration and "may" start charging after.

slappy magoo

I'm guessing this is the corporate mentality-
If all (most) of the kinks are ironed out, then it's going to eventually be something you pay for. I'd also guess that most people use travel agents to plan their vacation (let's face it, not everyone is as as we are when it comes to all things WDW), so it'd be very easy to "hide" the cost of DME in the context of a "Pay this price and everything in your vacation is covered" mentality. I'd further assume that it won't be as expensive as, say, Mears was (still is?). If an entire family can cram in one cab, it's usually cheaper than what Mears was charging. Larger groups would still benefit. Many couples without kids (and therefore, extra stamina :p ) would still probably appreciate the luxury of a rental car to go where their whims take them (or duck back to the ol' hotel for a little bob's-your-uncle, ay?). So if they start charging, it wouldn't be that much of a moneymaking proposition, just enough to cover the cost of the operation. After all, if you take DME, chances are, you're not leaving property, so they'll make their cash back on you.

If all (most) of the kinks are NOT worked out by the end of the year, they will continue to keep it as an freebie, because the only thing that would cause Disney worse press than screwing up a free service, is screwing up a service you pay for.

bugsbunny

Disney certianly spent a lot of money building this service up and no doubt, burnt a lot of bridges with the transportation companies.

It wouldn't make sense to go through all those hoops to offer such service, just to make it disappear.

An educated guess would be that it runs free until the 50th Celebration ends and then expect a "service charge" for transportation followed by another charge if you want your bags delivered to your room.

Disney not only can Imagineer rides, the will always Imagineer more ways to get money out of your pockets.

jcrb

I believe the company is making too much money indirectly with the program to cancel it. Think of all the people that are staying on WDW property instead of other hotels.

JPVonDrake

The Official Word from the Disney Reservation Center

Disney's Magical Express will remain complimentary through December 31, 2006. It is yet to be known if a fee will be imposed for guest traveling in 2007, but the service is currently expected to continue. As of now, we cannot book DME for travel dates beyond the complimentary period until a desision on the cost (if any) has been determined.

The Happiest Celebration on Earth event however, will end on September 30, 2006, worldwide. The next Walt Disney World celebration has yet to be officially anounced.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

notnothin

JPVonDrake said:
Disney's Magical Express will remain complimentary through December 31, 2006. It is yet to be known if a fee will be imposed for guest traveling in 2007, but the service is currently expected to continue. As of now, we cannot book DME for travel dates beyond the complimentary period until a desision on the cost (if any) has been determined.

The Happiest Celebration on Earth event however, will end on September 30, 2006, worldwide. The next Walt Disney World celebration has yet to be officially anounced.

It always helps to hear your declaration of the facts. Thanks, JPvonDrake! :wave:

artvandelay

According the Annual Report of the WDC, Magical Express was one of the reasons that room occupancy was up for FY 2005. I think it will stay, but will cost you a small fee.

TrentMom

Southwest and luggage?

Hi. I just had a question about magical express. I was reading someone's trip report from Dec 2005 and they said since they flow Southwest, they had to get their own luggage. Is this true? When I booked my trip with disney and told them I was flying Southwest, they did not mention this to me?

Has anyone else flown southwest and had to get their own luggage?

Thanks
Trentmom:D

wannabeBelle

TrentMom said:
Hi. I just had a question about magical express. I was reading someone's trip report from Dec 2005 and they said since they flow Southwest, they had to get their own luggage. Is this true? When I booked my trip with disney and told them I was flying Southwest, they did not mention this to me?

Thanks
Hi TrentMom!!! No worries here!!! When you get your bag tags ( Yellow ones with bar codes on them) go ahead and attach them to your luggage. The bags will be pulled at the airport for you and sorted and sent to your resort. You dont need to pick up your luggage at all. On the way home, as Southwest is NOT a partner airline, you cannot check in for your flight as some people can right within the resort!! Bell services will hold your luggage for you until your DME pickup time. You claim your bags from them, go to the airport with your luggage underneath the DME coach you are in and check in for your flight as you normally would. If you choose to fly a partner airline, you may check your bags in to go to the airport ahead of you and receive your boarding passes right at the airline desk within the resort. When you get to the airport, all you would have to do is proceed directly to Security!!! It really isnt that much of a difference and I have done both and been perfectly happy with either one!!! Have a great trip!! Belle

JPVonDrake

TrentMom said:

Thanks

Not to worry. Every Disney Guest can enjoy the free luggage service regardless of which airline you arrive on. Some guest for various reasons simply prefer to gather their own bags.

Simply attach the bright yellow luggage tags you receive with your Disney's Magical Express documents to each piece of checked luggage, and proceed directly to our welcome center on Level One, Airside A of the main terminal building. While you are enjoying the ride to WDW, Disney will claim your luggage for you and deliver it directly to your resort room. Be sure to pack your carry-on with anything you may need immediate access to (medication, travel documents, lighter change of clothes, etc) as your luggage will normally arrive to your resort about 2 hours after you do.

Looks like WannabeBelle beat me to it! :lol:

WEDisney

My wife works for a wholesale travel company and she said when Disney came to train them, on Magical Express, they did not indicate that it would be ending at the end of the year. They made it sound like this is only the beginning and that eventually they will be adding more airlines. She did say that they had a lot of problems with the service so maybe that would lead them to terminate it at the end of the year.

WEDisney

relloron

Ah yes. It is ending later this year. It said in my new guide book I recently got too. I love ME, we didn't have any problems at all. It's sad to see it go, especially for the people who didn't get to do it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom