MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's tired. Very, very tired. And the food is, at best, edible. On the whole Disney Village dining, like most dining at DLP, sucks. They have the most stunning park, the best versions of BTM, SM, PotC (I haven't been to Shanghai) and world-class entertainment, but good food at DLP is hard to find. This PH brings the food quality average down even more than if it were simply bulldozed!
I think that’s opinion. We’ve found the food on the whole very good.

LondonTom

I think that’s opinion. We’ve found the food on the whole very good.
I find that its one extreme or the other. When its good, its very good but its usually the pricier places.
The quick service/lower priced places need a bit of work for when your in a hurry/running low on the holiday budget 😂 (I feel like thats been magnified more from the UK with the way exchange rates have been since Brexit)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We remember the food being decent to better than comparable offerings at, say, WDW. Even though prices seemed higher at the time, when I did the math afterwards, they really weren't out of line. I did really like getting a bottle of Orange Fanta at the store in the train station for 2 Euro, though. :)

Markiewong

Concept art for the new Disneyland Hotel rooms, nice design!

It also seems that you aren't able to book the Disneyland Hotel at all. So I don't expect a reopening before the refurbishment is going to start, or maybe they have already started. The press release mentions specifically "Disneyland Paris is now accelerating its refurbishment plan by embarking on a transformation of the Disneyland Hotel"

Last edited:

cjkeating

Concept art for the new Disneyland Hotel rooms, nice design!

It also seems that you aren't able to book the Disneyland Hotel at all. So I don't expect a reopening before the refurbishment is going to start, or maybe they have already started. The press release mentions specifically "Disneyland Paris is now accelerating its refurbishment plan by embarking on a transformation of the Disneyland Hotel"

Word on the street is the refurbishment has already begun.

I'm a bit 50:50 about this. It's been an open secret about the princess theme for a few years now and the one piece of concept art looks a lot more sympathetic than I feared. So far even though I don't like the IP injections in WDW I've been onboard with the DLP hotel refurbishments and whilst this might be the most painful - losing the Main Street/Disneyland Park theme - I might be almost okay with it if it is implemented well.

LondonTom

I am not so bothered about the rooms (I've never stayed and it would have to a very special occasion to justify the prices) and they look ok but I have the fear for them ruining Cafe Fantasia and the Lobby at Christmas time.

Do they really think more people will stay there/pay more because it has a franchise associated with it? The whole reason people stay at the Disneyland Hotel is the location and service you get there,from what I understand the rooms just needed a little modernising (by amenities, not what they are they doing to WDW rooms)

The same with Hotel New York really, as much I love Marvel, the theme of New York was fine. The hotel just needed a refresh of the decor, furniture and a few more accessible plugs. I can't see many new people staying there either beyond curiosity for the first 6 or so months. (If anything from DLP fans I know, slightly less people due to expected price rises).

Also kind of sad to see Tinker Bell being phased out as sort of the resort's mascot

Last edited:
Looks decent enough and could have been much worse. At the same time it looks quite generic, like any modern hotel room with a princess theme on top imo.
They should have stayed with the Peter Pan/Tinkerbell theme.

Last edited:

Markiewong

I am not so bothered about the rooms (I've never stayed and it would have to a very special occasion to justify the prices) and they look ok but I have the fear for them ruining Cafe Fantasia and the Lobby at Christmas time.

Do they really think more people will stay there/pay more because it has a franchise associated with it? The whole reason people stay at the Disneyland Hotel is the location and service you get there,from what I understand the rooms just needed a little modernising (by amenities, not what they are they doing to WDW rooms)

The same with Hotel New York really, as much I love Marvel, the theme of New York was fine. The hotel just needed a refresh of the decor, furniture and a few more accessible plugs. I can't see many new people staying there either beyond curiosity for the first 6 or so months. (If anything from DLP fans I know, slightly less people due to expected price rises).

Also kind of sad to see Tinker Bell being phased out as sort of the resort's mascot
Its not like the current room doesn't have an IP. Its actually the only Disneyland Paris hotel that had an IP before they got added to the other resorts in the last 10 years or so.

Examples:
From the bathroom mirror:
1619693845151.png

To the armoire:
1619693874910.png

and the wallpapers:
1619694290999.png

1619694330593.png

And the other fantasia/tinkerbell references around the hotel.

Yes the two paintings make it more jump to the forefront, but outside of that and the little details in the carpet I don't see that much IP in this design. The refub of this hotel is less focused on adding characters versus the other hotels.. more on changing the characters to Disney princesses. Having said that, I do expect Cafe Fantasia and Inventions to change to princess themed establishments.

Sir_Cliff

I haven't stayed there so I can't speak to the rooms, but I usually have a drink at Cafe Fantasia at least once when visiting DLP and the hotel has looked very tired for as long as I have been going.

This doesn't appeal to me, though. Gives me a bit of a Liberace vibe.

wdrive

Do they really think more people will stay there/pay more because it has a franchise associated with it?

Sadly yes and they’re probably correct. The amount of people who refer to Santa Fe as the Cars hotel and Cheyenne as the Toy Story or Woody hotel is surprisingly. I can only imagine they’re very disappointed when they arrive and the only Cars related things are some posters in the lobby and some character bedsheets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sadly yes and they’re probably correct. The amount of people who refer to Santa Fe as the Cars hotel and Cheyenne as the Toy Story or Woody hotel is surprisingly. I can only imagine they’re very disappointed when they arrive and the only Cars related things are some posters in the lobby and some character bedsheets.
We will never afford the DL so the most we can afford at a push are some wallpapered portholes with characters in them. That’s enough resort theming for me.

Still I’m happy the DL is getting the love it deserves. Just don’t mess with Inventions until I have a chance to eat there.

Padraig

It's just gone two years since my first visit to DLP and my two major takeaways...

1) The castle park is beautiful; stunning in fact. I'd seen countless images, videos since the place opened and I've always had the same reaction that it just lacked something, maybe coherence? The day before we went, I watched a walkthrough and commented on how remote and disjointed the castle area felt. Which is just not what you experience when you're actually there. The level of landscaping and attention to detail just doesn't translate in video. I'm not sure why that technically is, but the place is just a knock out.

2) The food. Mostly awful. Cafe Remy was one of the few sorta bright spots (still under seasoned) in a shockingly poor showing over our five days. Even my low expectations for Rain Forest Cafe weren't met with a tiny menu and food that made the Disney Springs' outfit look positively michelin star. The breakfast in the DLH was mostly "okay". I still find it perplexing that this was so far behind WDW in a country with such a culinary tradition.

The food hasn't stopped us trying to return. We've had two cancelled holidays since, with another booked for April 22.

Padraig

On the DLH refurb:

Well that's where we stayed for the 4 nights. And I'm telling you, as regards rooms there's almost nothing in to lose in terms of theming going by the family room we stayed in. Our kids were 2, 3.5 and 5 at the time and the location completely sold the place. DLP really has very few options for families of five. Our room was just above the side entrance as you leave the park and it was such a great location. The room was tired though (again this is two years ago) and really quite generic. I've seen some of the refurbs (in my ten years online here) at WDW that have rightly caused a bit of consternation and trust me, this isn't that. I actually quite liked the common areas and they were far better than I expected. Marni, you're not missing much with Inventions.

We were due to return Feb this year. The offer was great; good % discount, breakfast included, the full premium dining plan and 100 euro credit. It actually didn't make any financial sense to book the Newport Bay instead. Plus, with the location it was a lock. I booked August, maybe September, surely the covid crisis would be managed at that stage I thought! Oh well. Looking through my emails the cancellation letter came in at the end of January, at which point I'd rebooked for the NPB for April 22. I was told that the DLH wasn't going to be an option for the time and that'd be out of commission for up to 18 months. Actually on this, although Disney cancelled us and assured us of the retaining all the benefits, we couldn't keep the Full Premium Dining plan going to NPB, we'd get the next step down, which for the likes of the princess place really made it good value. Should I challenge this?

Again, as regards dining, I'd have really liked to have experienced Walts.

wdrive

Dining plan going to NPB, we'd get the next step down, which for the likes of the princess place really made it good value. Should I challenge this?

You’re not really missing too much at the moment on the plus dining plan over the premium. Walt’s has been closed for a good while now and I’d be surprised to see it open until corona is a distant memory. There’s no character dining at the moment either, plus Inventions will be closed due to hotel refurb and Auberge was closed pre COVID plus the lack of Princesses due to no character dining make it even less appealing.

Jordan dby

On the DLH refurb:

Well that's where we stayed for the 4 nights. And I'm telling you, as regards rooms there's almost nothing in to lose in terms of theming going by the family room we stayed in. Our kids were 2, 3.5 and 5 at the time and the location completely sold the place. DLP really has very few options for families of five. Our room was just above the side entrance as you leave the park and it was such a great location. The room was tired though (again this is two years ago) and really quite generic. I've seen some of the refurbs (in my ten years online here) at WDW that have rightly caused a bit of consternation and trust me, this isn't that. I actually quite liked the common areas and they were far better than I expected. Marni, you're not missing much with Inventions.

We were due to return Feb this year. The offer was great; good % discount, breakfast included, the full premium dining plan and 100 euro credit. It actually didn't make any financial sense to book the Newport Bay instead. Plus, with the location it was a lock. I booked August, maybe September, surely the covid crisis would be managed at that stage I thought! Oh well. Looking through my emails the cancellation letter came in at the end of January, at which point I'd rebooked for the NPB for April 22. I was told that the DLH wasn't going to be an option for the time and that'd be out of commission for up to 18 months. Actually on this, although Disney cancelled us and assured us of the retaining all the benefits, we couldn't keep the Full Premium Dining plan going to NPB, we'd get the next step down, which for the likes of the princess place really made it good value. Should I challenge this?

Hi Padraig, our experience was exactly the same as you. Visited DLP and stayed at DLH 2 years ago. We had a 1 year old and rather than a crib they fit in a full extra single z-bed which we thought was great service (effectively got us 5 bed room for price of 4). Planned to do this again just before youngest turned 3 but covid cancelled our February date, so they've put us in NPB and yes having to drop to plus rather than premium dining was a bit annoying, but they did give us a genuine family room this time as the youngest will be 3+. As we got a 5 bed NPB room I'll be happy to pay to upgrade one meal for the princesses.

Anyway I echo everyone's thoughts on dining. The quality doesn't bother me too much (I actually like the fact that not everything in DLP is fried) but the queues and availability are a pain. The character queues in Paris are so big that character dining is the only way to do it really so i recommend going for that as it solves queuing for both food and characters later! Overall if you book on site hotels with Character dining plans I think you get better value at DLP than Florida and California which I've also visited.

Our rebook is for Feb 22 and if characters and fireworks aren't around then I think we'll rebook again. It's a big part of the experience and if it's not there I think I'd save they money for the inevitable price increase when the WDS extension is done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom