MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

mrflo

I absolutely love the movie Up. But this does not make any sense at all. It's not even meeting the most basic criteria to be based on a book. If only there was some World where Up & its characters would have a perfect home instead... :rolleyes:

The creative direction at WDI Paris quite often seems to be all over the place these days. Please send someone like Tony Baxter or Joe Rohde to guide them on some core principles before the next round of big investments starts. Nowadays the creative team behind Europa-Park seems to more inspired with a lower budget than what could come across as some bland Corporate/Marketing-driven project management in DLP.

cjkeating

Look who holds all the purse strings now.
Thinking about it a bit more I wonder if this was a last minute addition with some extra funding...

The new scenes were planned before COVID but just got delayed. The Frozen and Winnie the Pooh scenes I think are quite sympathetic to the current ride. This however is not. The concept art doesn't even match that for the Frozen/Pooh scenes which suggests it was done at different times or by a different team?

nickys

Premium Member
Frozen is based on the Snow Queen, albeit in quite a modified way similar to Tangled on Rapunzel.
Ooooh, you went there! 😉

It was inspired by The Snow Queen. As far as I recall there was no sister in HCA’s tale. Much more pertinently there is no kidnapping and rescue storyline in Frozen.

cjkeating

Ooooh, you went there! 😉

It was inspired by The Snow Queen. As far as I recall there was no sister in HCA’s tale. Much more pertinently there is no kidnapping and rescue storyline in Frozen.
You could say that for many of the fairytales that were 'Disneyfied' in animation, it doesn't mean they weren't the inspiration.

nickys

Premium Member
You could say that for many of the fairytales that were 'Disneyfied' in animation, it doesn't mean they weren't the inspiration.
Agreed. I did say it was inspired by The Snow Queen.

But the plots of most of the Disney movies do at least include the main story of the original that inspired it. Frozen doesn’t.

Last edited:

mrflo

Thinking about it a bit more I wonder if this was a last minute addition with some extra funding...
DLP also announced Vittel as a sponsor for the attraction. I guess that meant some extra funding and some special requirements by Nestlé/Vittel. Maybe the Nestlé folks also wanted some more contemporary movie/scene to be added.

The press release also makes it sound like DLP is getting their own "Journey of Water". 🤣

"As part of this transformation, Le Pays des Contes de Fées will welcome Vittel as its presenting sponsor, extending its longstanding corporate alliance relationship with Disneyland Paris. Guests will discover an updated marquee and new décor elements in the attraction’s queue line, integrating the sponsor throughout the experience and celebrating the role that water has played as a vital source of inspiration for magical adventures in Disney stories."

Source: DLP News - NEW SCENE FROM PIXAR’S “UP” COMING TO STORYBOOK LAND, WITH PRESENTING SPONSOR

mrflo

Wrong park. ;)
In so many ways. :D Speaking about Adventure, three weeks later and "DAW" still has not grown on me at all.

I am curious & nervous what integrating the sponsor (Vittel) throughout the experience will mean. Let's hope it's not Pooh getting stuck in a plastic water canister rather than the honey pot or water from Belle's French village fountain getting pumped into a Nestlé water wagon.

The Empress Lilly

What feels grating about the UP addition isn't so much its book status. It's always been a boat ride through Disney animation, not books. The essence of storybook here is more 'fairytale' ('contes de fées') than 'book'. Which would exclude Wizard of Oz too, mostly Fantasia also, but ok. To me Oz didn't need to be there, Fantaisia does.

It's more that UP feels thematically and aesthetically out of place. Too contemporary in its setting, too real life, too Pixar. The ride feels about quaint European villages and sailing ships and fairytale castles. Not about escaping real estate developers and exotic jungles.

Jwhee

Disney Illuminations replacing Disney Dreams… why!? I don’t get it.

This show is following me🤣
I saw it in Shanghai, saw it in Paris, and then now for my return to Paris in June it’ll be there again

jrhwdw

So Nice to see DLP go in the Wrong Direction!!!!! Didn't Disney Dreams have to Return because Illuminations wasn't cutting it???

Let's hope TDO doesn't pull a fast one and return DE instead of a Night Parade!!! And I liked DE!

MK's HEA and DLP's Dreams Return Dates were announced the same day if you forgot the connection...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom