MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

Twilight_Roxas

I would not be surprised by a Simpsons area coming to the studios park. Simpsons are good for selling merchandise (which Disney loves), are still well known characters and the TV show is on UK TV every night plus Disney used the fact Disney+ is the only place to stream all seasons of The Simpsons as a big marketing push for Disney+ over here. Adding a decent Springfield land similar to the food court at Universal would really work at the Paris studios park.
A ride would also be nice, but isn't essential in my eyes if they can get the land building right, if a ride is added it would need to be something newer and more modern than the 30 year old Back to the Future simulator Universal used.
But I think the Simpsons is a much better fit to the park in Europe compared to the US. Paris has always had a more "adult" feel to the park (Space Mountain at EuroDisney was the first Disney coaster to go upside down) and I think the park benefits if it doesn't just feel like somewhere for kids.
I agree I even mentioned the Peanuts gang that Disney could license in the Europe Disney parks since Blue Sky Studios created the Peanuts movie.

Jon81uk

It was actually Indiana Jones but your point still stands.

However, I’d be shocked to see a Simpsons land in Paris anytime soon

I agree, its not happening soon. There are plenty of other things to build first, just the Springfield idea wouldn't be out of place at WDSP really.

But I think Paris really needs unique attractions. For me going over to Florida from the UK is a lot more appealing than Paris and if its a 14 night trip to Florida then the per night cost is not that dissimilar. If there was more unique stuff at Paris it would give a lot more incentive to go there more often.

Brummyboy92

Fully in agreement with Jon.

I love Paris, but it's not offering me anything I can't get in Florida., plus Florida guarantees the good weather.

I wouldn't even mind seeing a large indoor section for the Studios park. Maybe like a Moana themed Volcano, with some sort of indoor Mermaid Lagoon, similar to Tokyo Sea.....ish. Not sure which park would be better suited for that in Paris thinking about it, however the winter months can be bitterly cold in Paris, so an indoor land would be a good shout from my POV.

Jon81uk

Fully in agreement with Jon.

I love Paris, but it's not offering me anything I can't get in Florida., plus Florida guarantees the good weather.

I wouldn't even mind seeing a large indoor section for the Studios park. Maybe like a Moana themed Volcano, with some sort of indoor Mermaid Lagoon, similar to Tokyo Sea.....ish. Not sure which park would be better suited for that in Paris thinking about it, however the winter months can be bitterly cold in Paris, so an indoor land would be a good shout from my POV.

I think they started with this in mind at the studios park to some extent anyway, almost all of the opening attractions are indoors. As badly executed as it is, the studio 1 indoor mainstreet is a good theory. But yes I agree that a new indoor land would be great.

Brummyboy92

Yeah, I get why they went in the direction they did with Studio 1, despite it not being the best.

I think another obvious indoor land could be Avatar, it would have to be completely different to what we see in the AK though. Avatar relies very heavily on the lighting at night, so why not create an indoor interpretation of it, allowing you to have the nighttime effect throughout?

I doubt they'll go in this direction, but you never know.

DDLand

Yeah, I get why they went in the direction they did with Studio 1, despite it not being the best.

I think another obvious indoor land could be Avatar, it would have to be completely different to what we see in the AK though. Avatar relies very heavily on the lighting at night, so why not create an indoor interpretation of it, allowing you to have the nighttime effect throughout?

I doubt they'll go in this direction, but you never know.
When you mentioned an indoor land, I was initially hesitant. There are some awful indoor theme parks out there. But Avatar is a place where an indoor land would arguably be superior to the outdoor experience. The Florida weather is brutal on on the effects, props, and elements of Pandora. Paris’s wind and rain would be destructive too. The land requires constant maintenance to keep things going. A land in a constant state of bioluminescent night sounds pretty cool. THAT’s what people want. Navi River Journey is somewhat unsatisfying. The most important part would be making sure the show building is hidden. You don’t want Pandora in a warehouse. It’s got to be magical.

I’ve got to hand it to you. That’s an idea I could get behind.

Brummyboy92

What can I say, I'm full of some amazing ideas. :)

Yeah, it would have to be done right. I've been to a few indoor parks now, and they just look & feel like shopping centres/malls. It would have to be spot on inside and out, perhaps with Flight of passage, a flat ride or two, and maybe a more original ride. I don't think the River Journey would be a good fit, as I would ideally see the inside of the land being themed to that standard, plus with Frozen it would be too similar. Perhaps a coaster similar to Tron?

I would want it to be amazing though, I love what Disney did with the Disneyland park, there are so many elements to it that are superior to the US parks, but that does not cross over into Studios at all.

Brummyboy92

Something like this is what we we should be aiming for. An expansion opposite Frozenland for another Disney Princess, making the wider area a more Fantasy Springs style area. And then a large indoor Avatar themed land, which would be a bit of a rat run inside. Kinda like the feeling you get when walking around Adventureland with lot's of caves, waterfalls, dead ends, etc... Flight of passage as well as a coaster would be a good shout, and if done right would be on par with it's sister next door.

We can dream.

To much time on my hands working from home. 😅

test.png

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I know that Tom Fitzgerald mentioned that the new avenue connecting the Old WDSP to New WDSP will be a garden boulevard styled after the Tuilleries, but I hope they reconsider that especially with the unpredictability of Paris' weather. I feel that a new take on Hollywood Boulevard or Buena Vista Street or even a continuation of the "studio lot" (think Main Street, U.S.A. but with studio signages: Scenery Shop, "<some Imagineer who worked on WDSP 2.0's name here>, Head Scenic Artist."; Costuming, "<some Imagineer who worked on WDSP 2.0's name here>, Costuming Director.", etc.) would work better to dramatically reduce the jarringness of the transition from the front areas to the lake area.

We can't make Studio 1 disappear, but they have another shot with WDSP 2.0's "opening credits" with the new avenue and I don't think a garden boulevard would cut it.

What can I say, I'm full of some amazing ideas. :)

Yeah, it would have to be done right. I've been to a few indoor parks now, and they just look & feel like shopping centres/malls. It would have to be spot on inside and out, perhaps with Flight of passage, a flat ride or two, and maybe a more original ride. I don't think the River Journey would be a good fit, as I would ideally see the inside of the land being themed to that standard, plus with Frozen it would be too similar. Perhaps a coaster similar to Tron?

I would want it to be amazing though, I love what Disney did with the Disneyland park, there are so many elements to it that are superior to the US parks, but that does not cross over into Studios at all.

In as much as I would love for the original Flight of Passage to come to the Studios, I feel like Paris is way too late in the flight motion simulator bandwagon. How about retaining the story of Flight of Passage, but with the Tron/GOTG technology? Knowing what the scenic illusion shop could do with projection and practical sets (think MMRR), I think it could be a great ride. A walkthrough encounter with Pandora's indigenous animal species wouldn't hurt as well. Disneyland Park next door does love its walkthroughs.

Franklin47disneyguy

Shortly before the corona crisis there were rumors that studio 1 was going to be replaced. What they should do is cancel the star wars land (to expensive, st is in DLP). Then replace the stuntshow with the avengers e-ticket DCA gets. Build a second ride in Arendelle, at another princess land around the lake. Build a dark ride in toy story land. Retheme the theatre area + studio 1 to a hollywood street. Build Runaway Railway between cinemagique and disney junior. Move Mickey and Magian to the old cinemagique theatre. Use that spot for a new pixar dark ride. Then you get the following lands: Hollywood, Pixarland, Princess lake, Avengersland. After that is build they can always build star wars. The should first correct the errors from the past before they build these big lands.

Brummyboy92

Agreed, a lot needs fixing including the entrance.

I don't like the idea of a garden style boulevard taking you from Studio 1 to the lake, seems unambitious and lazy. This park is still a Hollywoodesque park, so if they insist on keeping the studio theme at the entrance, combined with ToT in it's current form (which I prefer), then a Sunset boulevard should be on the cards instead.

I'm hoping we only see a delay to plans by a year, and in theory Paris should be the next resort to reopen after the Asian parks, so fingers crossed we don't see too many compromises as this resort cannot afford mediocre.

I know construction has stalled in the US parks, but has it continued here?

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I don't like the idea of a garden style boulevard taking you from Studio 1 to the lake, seems unambitious and lazy. This park is still a Hollywoodesque park, so if they insist on keeping the studio theme at the entrance, combined with ToT in it's current form (which I prefer), then a Sunset boulevard should be on the cards instead.

Funny enough, I actually thought of naming the new avenue "Sunset Boulevard" as well to distinguish this main avenue from Hollywood Studios'. The next question: does the sun actually set behind the park? I know SBC in Disneyland Park is staged perfectly to reflect the sunrise (per Eddie Sotto), so it would be interesting if Elsa's ice castle and the North Mountain range will be staged to reflect the sunset.

Re: Garden Boulevard
I think their main concern is access to expansion pads around the south part of the lake, behind Tower of Terror, and near Toy Story Playland, hence the usage of greenery that could easily be removed and transferred instead of physical structures. I'm just armchair Imagineering here, but I think they could predetermine where the main avenue could branch off to allow access to the lands as early as now by placing appropriate intersections between blocks of buildings. They could even reuse the retro street signs in the Walt Disney Studios lot and change it per intersection accordingly.
91852e5802fc87f169ba84c0ab1ff1d0.jpg

I'm hoping we only see a delay to plans by a year, and in theory Paris should be the next resort to reopen after the Asian parks, so fingers crossed we don't see too many compromises as this resort cannot afford mediocre.

According to DLP Report on Twitter, construction has stopped. Sidenote: I'm kinda amused by the codenames for the two projects. "Jenga" says a lot about the Avengers Campus portfolio in general.

G.L.A.D.I.O

Agreed, a lot needs fixing including the entrance.

Consider those gardens as a less ambitious Fantasy Springs.
The Hollywood theming won't be kept in phase 2 exept "La place des des frères Lumière" which is going to be slightly modified to fit a new time period...
Think of Universal's Epic Universe (immersive movie environment without the studio aesthetic).
And Star Wars : rise of the resistance is still planned.

Last edited:

wdrive

Something like this is what we we should be aiming for. An expansion opposite Frozenland for another Disney Princess, making the wider area a more Fantasy Springs style area. And then a large indoor Avatar themed land, which would be a bit of a rat run inside. Kinda like the feeling you get when walking around Adventureland with lot's of caves, waterfalls, dead ends, etc... Flight of passage as well as a coaster would be a good shout, and if done right would be on par with it's sister next door.

We can dream.

To much time on my hands working from home. 😅

View attachment 467123

We can dream.

It’s a real shame Paris has never had any money. It has so much room for expansion. It’s almost sad to imagine what it could be like now if it was profitable from the start.

Twilight_Roxas

With Springfield they could do a different version of The Simpsons Ride same attraction, but in a different style kinda like a mixture of motion simulator, and trackless dark ride showing a different scene depending on the ride vehicle. Like for example the ride opens the same, but the first vehicle goes to the Happy Little Elves while the second vehicle goes to the second attraction of Krustyland till all four vehicles reunite at final scenes of the attraction.

Stevie Amsterdam

We can dream.

It’s a real shame Paris has never had any money. It has so much room for expansion. It’s almost sad to imagine what it could be like now if it was profitable from the start.
Actually, if they would have had money right down from the start, chances are that they would've received the same treatment as the US parks; replacing, re-imagining or simply ripping out rides for IP based attractions. I'm not sure if it would have expanded, but rather update existing rides. Like we now see happening with RRC into the new Iron Man ride.

Disneyland Parc feels 'untouched' since the nineties. Sure, a few new attractions would have been great but imo the park is the most beautiful castle park in the world. It's almost as if the park (Disneyland Parc, not WDSP) was frozen in time.

wdrive

Actually, if they would have had money right down from the start, chances are that they would've received the same treatment as the US parks; replacing, re-imagining or simply ripping out rides for IP based attractions. I'm not sure if it would have expanded, but rather update existing rides. Like we now see happening with RRC into the new Iron Man ride.

Disneyland Parc feels 'untouched' since the nineties. Sure, a few new attractions would have been great but imo the park is the most beautiful castle park in the world. It's almost as if the park (Disneyland Parc, not WDSP) was frozen in time.

I’m not sure what would have been taken out from Disneyland Park. I feel the Fantasyland and Adventureland expansion pads would have been built on years ago had everything gone to plan.

But I agree it is nice having a relatively ‘untouched’ park.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom