Magic Music Days

kstella

My DS high school is attending Magic Music Days in March. Any tips or comments from anyone who has gone to Magic Music Days? I'm going to my first planning meeting tonight and want to be able to give good advice, since I'm stepping in kind of late.

DisneyDancer312

ive attended magic music days....1999,2001,2003. and it was great. i had the chance to see everything backstage and all the behind the scenes. it was awesome. i attended workshops where the actual performers from the shows in the parks and parades taught us. since we danced there we learned actually numbers they did in the park and we were able to do our own performance in front of the whole entire magic kingdom. it was seriously a blast. but beware, the only thing my parents complained about was the fact that u had to abide by the groups agenda. not so much freedom on this type of trip. the nights before we danced we had cerfews and we all had to meet at certain times for practices and dinners together. but dont loose the fact that ur still in disney world! what are they doing there, music? dancing?

Upvote 0

kstella

Original Poster
So, when you went to the parks did you have to go as a whole group or could the group split up into smaller groups and do their own thing?

Upvote 0
My daughter's school participated in it March 2005. It was wonderful. I was not a chaparone for the trip, but we went down with our other kids and were there for their performance and met up with the group several times. She said it was one of the most magical feelings when they marched at the Magic Kingdom. The feeling that come over her when the backtage doors opened and they marched out. WOW! I know we were so proud of the band watching her and her friends march trough the night with the castle behind them. She said the trip was magical from start to finish. The video of the music selection they learned in their workshop was really good. Their music selection was to Tarzan and the band sounded great. It was set with an animation of the movie. Really Cool! Will never forget it.

Upvote 0
When they went, the whole group kept to the same touring plan. Once in the parks, they were able to split up with their friends, but had check in times with their personal chaparones.

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

I went in 99 with my HS's marching Band and Choir. We had a blast----we were basically set to the schedule they prepared for us, but once we were in the park we were allowed to go on our own in small groups, as long as we checked in with our chaperone at certain intervals during the day.
As soon as we would walk in the park, our tickets were collected by our chaperone, so we were not able to leave the park and re-enter.
Back in 99, there were no fastpasses, so I don't know how this would work now though.

I'm guessing the decision to stay in one park is the school's choice, but I could be wrong. It just makes it easier for the school to keep track of everyone.

Performing in the MK (and we performed in DTD as well) is amazing. Everyone who comes back from the trip always reports it as a once in a lifetime experience......so either way, you're going to have fun.
Good Luck!

Upvote 0
I think it was probably the schools choice to have the itinerary that way. They also collected the tickets so they could not leave. This was 2005 so since they did not have their tickets, they could not use fastpass.

Upvote 0

DisneyDancer312

we were always able to go about the parks in groups as we pleased also. trust me, your child is going to have the time of their lives. the feeling is unreal when ur displayed in front of the whole entire park.

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

I participated in Magic Music Days in 1996, 1997 (with band, chorus and my dance company so three different experiences) and 1998. My dance company danced at Epcot all three times we danced. In 1996 we were lucky enough to be able to dance on the stage at the American Gardens theater. It was amazing!!! The other two times we danced on the stage in Future World, which is no longer there. :( We also sang on that same stage with chorus. As far as band is concerned, we marched before the parade at MK which was really cool. Obviously I didn't know then that I would do the college program twice and have access to the backstage areas during my time on the program.

When we were there with dance, we had the freedom to come and go as we wanted as far as the parks are concerned. The only day that was limited was the day we danced. Most of us were there with our families and we stayed on property so it didn't matter too much. When I was there with school, we stayed off property and had to come and go by bus so the time in the park, although free time, was more restricted.

We also took a dance workshop, I think twice when we danced down there. It was a lot of fun! My dance company has participated in MMD since I left the company, but after we danced there in 1998, we started to save money like crazy so we could fund our trip to Australia to dance by the Sydney Opera House and the 2000 Olympic Games.

As far as MMD goes, I think the amount of time you have on your own is going to depend upon the directors and the chaperones. Have a great trip! :)

Upvote 0

figmentmom

The high school band in our community performed as part of the Magic Music Days several years ago. When they visited the parks, they all went to the same park at once, and then were allowed to divide up in smaller groups - but they had to check in at certain times with chaperones, who collected the tickets so that no one left the park. When you're responsible for that many kids, it's just smart to be safe. The kids agreed it was the experience of a lifetime.

They also worked on fundraisers for months ahead of time, but each student's parents still had to contribute money so that their child could go. (The parents all agreed it was worth it!)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom