News Magic Kingdom's Main Street Confectionery closing for refurbishment

ToTBellHop

Oh are they? I didn't know. I thought everything was sponsored by something, but I'm usually wrong on those matters.
There’s sponsored and then there’s
E7F541CA-6D51-4B64-BEFD-52520A3870AA.jpeg

Skittles arrived in 1974.

I don’t go to MK for Skittles.

castlecake2.0

I'm betting...."minimalist".....
There has been a push to use less bulky/tall fixtures in recent merch renovations. It’s not necessarily that it doesn’t fit the time period of the locations it’s just different than what we’re used to. Will be interesting to see if that’s what he’s referring to and how it looks here.

dreday3

There’s sponsored and then there’s
View attachment 588569
Skittles arrived in 1974.

I don’t go to MK for Skittles.

Oof. 😂 I didn't see that...

I'm assuming they might just have those Mars candies in those long tubes on the walls like candy stores do?
Not displayed in the main case.

Could you imagine if they had just trays of Snickers and Twix in their wrappers in the main display case....:D (they won't)

James Alucobond

Some floor tile was visible from the main window this morning as they were leafing some of the text. It looked like the original patterning was gone, but it seemed to still be similarly sized small-format square tiling rather than something modern. I don't remember if the pattern always ran directly up to the windows, though. Only a small area was exposed.

ToTBellHop

I'm assuming they might just have those Mars candies in those long tubes on the walls like candy stores do?

Could you imagine if they had just trays of Snickers and Twix in their wrappers in the main display case....:D (they won't)
Wait til you hear how we will personalize things…

James Alucobond

This makes it sounds like it's going the World of Disney route and dumping the turn of the century theming. That would be a disaster.
If that happens, ugh. If we're just overindexing on Mars, eh. Not overly fussed as long as the theming is correct. Merchandise and sponsors change.

dreday3

I was right!

Just saw a pic - a wall of huge tubes full of different flavors of skittles and m&ms!

James Alucobond

Yeah, there's a DPB article on it now here:

You can't see much, but it looks like at least some of the architectural detail is intact given the arches and whatnot.

castlecake2.0

Yeah, there's a DPB article on it now here:

You can't see much, but it looks like at least some of the architectural detail is intact given the arches and whatnot.
It’s hard to see anything from the one photo, but seeeeems ok. The previous version was always very crowded and featured a lot of that 90s Disney retail feel (like that candy overhead conveyor belt that had no business in a turn of the century candy shop). Optimistic for this.

Sir_Cliff

It’s hard to see anything from the one photo, but seeeeems ok. The previous version was always very crowded and featured a lot of that 90s Disney retail feel (like that candy overhead conveyor belt that had no business in a turn of the century candy shop). Optimistic for this.
I agree. Tough to tell from the picture, but the existing store looked very 1990s and what we've seen so far doesn't look actively worse and maybe even a little more visually appealing than what was there.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I really dislike the candy wall because I think it significantly detracts from the theme (especially since it's almost all cheap mediocre candy), but at least it looks like they didn't mess up the rest of the theming. Will just have to see what the rest of the store looks like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom