Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland, which has more of a "magical" aura?

Wilt Dasney

Another thing about DL is that even though its so tiny compared to MK, it has way more stuff to do. It was exciting for me because Id been wanting to go since I was about 12 or 13, so I pretty much knew about the superior rides, and extra rides to expect. But I remember several times thinking, "Oh ya, I want to do that." I mean, I still prefer the MK because it's home, but DL is so quaint and it does a better job at making you feel at home. It really feels as though its your land like Walt wanted and more intimate too. Park hopping is nice too, being able to walk back and forth almost feels like your in one big park instead of going back and forth between two. And I also love that you get your bag check once, and you dont have to worry about that if you plan on park hopping.

Good observations here. I know what you mean with the "Oh yeah!" factor. There's so much at DL it's easy to forget about some attractions until they're right in front of you.

I hadn't thought of the "almost like one big park" idea, but I can see where you're coming from on that.

And the single bag check is a huge winner to me.

This week is a year since my last trip. I really, really want to go back. :lol:

Mick G.

Comparing WDW's MK to Disneyland as a whole, I think Disneyland feels small and crowded. It may be because WDW is my "home" park, and I've only been to DL twice. But at DL the Main Street buildings are so small, the castle is tiny and certainly not grand, Tomorrowland is a mishmash of outdated designs. That said, I like the greener look of DL's Fantasyland, and there is nothing in Florida to compare to Toontown. Pure genius.

It may be true that DL's attractions get more attention, mainly due to WDI being down the street. Probably true. But in the park itself, I greatly prefer the open spaces of WDW's MK. Not to mention the rest of WDW.

If Disneyland were that great, Walt wouldn't have worked so hard to start WDW.

the-reason14

Comparing WDW's MK to Disneyland as a whole, I think Disneyland feels small and crowded. It may be because WDW is my "home" park, and I've only been to DL twice. But at DL the Main Street buildings are so small, the castle is tiny and certainly not grand, Tomorrowland is a mishmash of outdated designs. That said, I like the greener look of DL's Fantasyland, and there is nothing in Florida to compare to Toontown. Pure genius.

It may be true that DL's attractions get more attention, mainly due to WDI being down the street. Probably true. But in the park itself, I greatly prefer the open spaces of WDW's MK. Not to mention the rest of WDW.

Somewhat true, I remember getting into an argument with someone I think over youtube about this. I think they were claiming how DL is better than WDW as well as DL's space mt. Which both to me aren't true. I said that even Walt knew he could do better, thats why there is a WDW and it is as big as it is. If he were truly content with DL, then there either wouldn't be WDW, or WDW would just be the MK.

the-reason14

Good observations here. I know what you mean with the "Oh yeah!" factor. There's so much at DL it's easy to forget about some attractions until they're right in front of you.

I hadn't thought of the "almost like one big park" idea, but I can see where you're coming from on that.

And the single bag check is a huge winner to me.

This week is a year since my last trip. I really, really want to go back. :lol:

Thanks :wave: And I would love to go back to DL soon too, but for now it'll just be WDW, which I have no problem with. I rather go back to DL maybe around 2012 when the new and improved DCA will be finished.

Wilt Dasney

even Walt knew he could do better, thats why there is a WDW and it is as big as it is. If he were truly content with DL, then there either wouldn't be WDW, or WDW would just be the MK.
Just my opinion (I never had any conversations with Walt :lol:) but I think if Walt saw the DL that exists today, he wouldn't be nearly as frustrated or dissatisfied with it as he was in the '50s.

What I mean is the main gripe Walt seemed to have with DL was how the surrounding businesses were so tacky and intrusive that they ruined the feel he wanted to have around the park.

It's a different story now. Anaheim has passed municipal codes mandating standards for the aesthetics of the area around DL. Light poles that were above ground in the '50s are now buried, businesses aren't allowed to visually intrude above the berm (this wasn't the case before, and apparently you could see neon signs from inside Tomorrowland), and standards of landscaping and construction are very specific. I think if the surrounding area had made more of an effort to work with Walt in the '50s, he wouldn't have been as anxious to buy all that land in Florida. (Or at least, not for the same reasons.)

I've said this before, but considering that A.) WDW has sold off and developed so much land on its periphery which was initially intended as sort of an empty buffer zone, and B.) Anaheim has made such an effort to clean up the area around DL, I think the problems Walt had with DL — and the solution he intended at WDW — both no longer exist. DL's size is no longer a liability, and WDW's size is no longer an advantage (at least not in the way it was originally meant to be).

mcjaco

Thank you princess. I have always been told that "you will miss things at DL that you would see at WDW, and vice versa. Is this a correct assessment? If so I guess it's a wash

Yep.

I've visited WDW close to fifty time in my 35 years, and DL only 3 (the latest being this past March). I love MK for the memories it's given me, but I find DL equally as appealing, since I know that is where it all started, and much of the park still has it's original charm. In fact, there's a charm at DL that I don't find at MK. I can never put my finger on what it is, but it's there.

That's not to say DL doesn't have it's issues. It's cramped, the customer base is totally different, and yes, the anticipation of entering the park is shot in about ten seconds once you're in the plaza.

I love both parks equally. I even like DCA....:eek:

fosse76

Compared to what? The Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland is even more outdated. The only thing I dislike about DL's Tomorrowland is its layout...it isn't exactly user-friendly! Walking down Main Street at DL, for me, wasn't any different. And I kind of like the Castle. With all the complaints on this board about inconsistent show, a large hulking castle at the end of a small-town American street isn't exactly cohesive. The smaller Castle is less intrusive (and at least is a bit of an attraction with the walk-through).

It's not so much the wide-open spaces of WDW, it's that DL has all these uneccessary landscaping and other obstructions in the middle of pathways to reduce the amount of space.

That's very misleading. The park itself was probably more of a justification to plan the Florida property, since his focus was more on EPCOT.

LoriMistress

I love both parks, to be honest. I grew up at DLR, so to me, it's always going to be "my home away from home." There are several attractions that DLR has that MK doesn't. Plus, their Toon Town is a million times better then MK (for now, at least). I love Blue Bayou. I do like the fact that the parks is "smaller." It feels a bit more intimate. But the draw back is that you can really tell if the park has tons of people.

I love MK as well, because going to the park (and just entering Disney property alone), feels like you're in another world. I enjoy how spacious the park is. And, of course, I love Cinderella's Castle. I also enjoy CRT. I wish they had that at DLR.

EpcotServo

Disneyland. No question.

Though as for feeling as if you've stepped inside the 1970's, Magic Kingdom and TTC have the edge in that kind of Magic.

bugsbunny

Since DL is close to the action in the city of Anaheim do you get the same vibe there? Having Anaheim "on top of it" is actually a plus. I stayed across the street on the 12the floor facing DL/CA. It was awesome to look down into the parks at night.

Do you feel in another world and forget that Anaheim is so close?
Once you walk under that train station in DL, you are home. ;) Although the first time you look at the castle, you will be wondering where the rest of it went. And what is that mountain to the right of the castle?? Going to DL for the 1st time after being to MK a billion times makes you fall in love with Disney all over again.

Does it matter if a monorail/ferry takes you to the entrance or is it just because I am used to it?
I was able to stroll through DTD every morning to get to DL since I stayed right across the street. You get immersed in the DL Hotel, CA, and the Grand Californian and then see the monorail pass by. Certainly gets you in the mood.

Will I forget about being so close to the city and just soak up in the magic just like at MK?
Its only 400 acres. But like being at WDW, once you are in a park, you almost forget about the rest.

Do you even see the outside city when you are in there?
You can see some of the taller hotels, but its not like you are downtown and surrounded by the city.

nfeagle5

I cant even compare the two because WDW is on a whole different level than DL. If your on property at WDW then you and engulfed in Disney 24/7. It is very difficult to get that feeling at DL, so for me its hands down WDW =)

the-reason14

Just my opinion (I never had any conversations with Walt :lol:) but I think if Walt saw the DL that exists today, he wouldn't be nearly as frustrated or dissatisfied with it as he was in the '50s.

What I mean is the main gripe Walt seemed to have with DL was how the surrounding businesses were so tacky and intrusive that they ruined the feel he wanted to have around the park.

It's a different story now. Anaheim has passed municipal codes mandating standards for the aesthetics of the area around DL. Light poles that were above ground in the '50s are now buried, businesses aren't allowed to visually intrude above the berm (this wasn't the case before, and apparently you could see neon signs from inside Tomorrowland), and standards of landscaping and construction are very specific. I think if the surrounding area had made more of an effort to work with Walt in the '50s, he wouldn't have been as anxious to buy all that land in Florida. (Or at least, not for the same reasons.)

I've said this before, but considering that A.) WDW has sold off and developed so much land on its periphery which was initially intended as sort of an empty buffer zone, and B.) Anaheim has made such an effort to clean up the area around DL, I think the problems Walt had with DL — and the solution he intended at WDW — both no longer exist. DL's size is no longer a liability, and WDW's size is no longer an advantage (at least not in the way it was originally meant to be).

I see what you're saying, and that makes sense. I was watching some videos of DL during the 50s and it does seem that you could really see more of the outside world than you can today. I honestly couldn't imagine enjoying any disney park with being able to see stuff on the outside. DL still doesn't have a grand entrance like WDW does, but compared to what it was years ago, it's gotta be better.

It was funny though how me and my dad found DL. When you arrive in Orlando, there are signs all over telling you how to get to WDW, Universal, etc. And I don't know why, but I was expecting the same thing in Anaheim. But since it's a local community, there aren't really signs directing you like in Orlando. All we had was a map, and we got lost and past by knotts, and by the time we finally got close enough to DLR, I was like, "Oh there it is, there's california screamin." So I thought that was funny and really shows how different the "community" DL is compared to the "city" WDW is.

HouCuseChickie

There is a certain nostalgia factor with DL that I don't feel at WDW...it's almost like a respect for all that Walt Disney touched and created. That being said- I love WDW for truly separating you from the outside world. So, while DL definitely feels more special than MK, when you throw in the immersive aspect of WDW- going to FL always wins in my eyes.

Wilt Dasney

I see what you're saying, and that makes sense. I was watching some videos of DL during the 50s and it does seem that you could really see more of the outside world than you can today. I honestly couldn't imagine enjoying any disney park with being able to see stuff on the outside. DL still doesn't have a grand entrance like WDW does, but compared to what it was years ago, it's gotta be better.

If you want a real laugh, check out the photos in this Yesterland article of the dull, ugly stretch of pavement that once led up to DL. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Click here to discuss" link for a thread full of people lamenting the loss of this wonderful, beautiful, nostalgic parking lot and talking about how the current entrance area ruined everything. :veryconfu :hammer:

It was funny though how me and my dad found DL. When you arrive in Orlando, there are signs all over telling you how to get to WDW, Universal, etc. And I don't know why, but I was expecting the same thing in Anaheim. But since it's a local community, there aren't really signs directing you like in Orlando. All we had was a map, and we got lost and past by knotts, and by the time we finally got close enough to DLR, I was like, "Oh there it is, there's california screamin." So I thought that was funny and really shows how different the "community" DL is compared to the "city" WDW is.

I know what you mean. I rode to Anaheim on a bus so getting there was no problem, but I was struck by how the only thing advertising the place was a normal green freeway sign saying "Disneyland" for the next exit. Nothing like the purple Mickey ear signs scattered all over WDW. :lol:

the-reason14

If you want a real laugh, check out the photos in this Yesterland article of the dull, ugly stretch of pavement that once led up to DL. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Click here to discuss" link for a thread full of people lamenting the loss of this wonderful, beautiful, nostalgic parking lot and talking about how the current entrance area ruined everything. :veryconfu :hammer:

Oh wow, definitely an improvement. I couldn't imagine coming from WDW and mk to parking and seeing pretty much all of disneyland in front of my face. It's not that bad, but the parking garage, as unmagical as it may seem, is definitely better. It's funny how DCA and the rest of the resort was pretty much spaces for cars.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm a DL native but also a WDW lover....

Both places are very different in the vibe category.

WDW has the wow factor of space. In contrast, DLR buzzes with instant atmosphere as you walk through Downtown Disney right to the entrances to both DL and DCA. The magic is instant.

As far as the parks themselves, you'll find DL definitely smaller than MK but make sure to check out the small atractions. They have Walt's touch all over them. Indy is a must and Pirates is so immersive that you'll feel somewhat cheated in Florida's version from there on out. The other thing is 55 years of tree growth and vegitation. Makes a huge difference along the rivers of America. DL feels a million miles from Anaheim.

The scale and scope of CA is more like the Studios in Florida and more intimate like DL. Although the park is improving, it isn't as impressive as Epcot. And you will see Anaheim behind it and from the air. If your expectations are low for DCA, it can be enjoyable. If your expectations are for a grand second gate, wait a few years to be wowed. At this point in time, DCA is still better than the Studios.

Enjoy trhe differences between both resorts- they are numerous. Both places are incredible and offer different experiences. (I will throw DLP in that mix as well. Haven't been to the Asian resorts- yet! And I have a gazillion trip reports with photos on my blog if you are interested.)

Firepath

I grew up in So.Cal with a family trip to DL 1-2x a year, and as a teenager trips with friends and Grad Nite. After I got married and had kids, a friend told me all about WDW. My first thought was, why would I want to fly across the country to go see just a bigger version of DL? After researching the differences, I convinced DH to give it a try (and bribed him with a Disney Cruise). Wow! No comparison. Now that we live in the NW, we only go to WDW. It costs the same or less to fly to FL than CA and we can take ME and not have to rent a car (impossible from LAX). There is no real slow season at DL and the room rates are pretty high year round. We've done the math and it's cheaper for us to go to WDW. We like really being away from the cares of all the rest of the world when we are there. We don't feel that way when at DL, but probably because it was our home park and we know the city and all it's craziness it right outside the gates. That said, I'd still go to DL tomorrow if I had the chance! I sure do miss the Matterhorn...Hmmmm, just a 16 hr. drive.

TP2000

It's a different story now....

It's a totally different story now. Here's what Harbor Blvd. directly across from the Disneyland entrance looked like in 1966, the year Walt filmed his EPCOT '66 promo film and laid out his vision for a "Disney World" that would be free of the ticky-tacky clutter that grew up around Disneyland.

Harbor Boulevard along Disneyland - 1966
AOC1.jpg

And here's a photo taken almost from that exact same position on Harbor Blvd. more recently, after Anaheim spent a Billion dollars in the 1990's to spruce up the streets and enacted tough zoning laws. Some of the same businesses from the '66 picture are still there, like the Denny's, but they all have uniform signage at ground level and are more hidden behind the trees and landscaping. The Denny's also got a new salad bar around 1982 I believe. :cool:

Harbor Boulevard along Disneyland - 2010
070422a_Anh_Harbor_northward_at_Disney_Way_clear_032.jpg

The streets around Disneyland aren't exactly the gardens at Versailles, but they are kept very clean, rather attractive, and very safe. There are plenty of new hotels and restaurants around Disneyland as well, with an upscale vibe that Anaheim never had in the 20th century. There are many communities in America that would kill to have the appearance and amenities of the Anaheim Resort District that now surrounds Disneyland and the greater Disneyland Resort property.

For instance, this Anaheim fixture from the 1960's across Harbor from Disneyland...
otherlands_melody.jpg

Was replaced by this new shopping/retail development in the 2000's...
AGW_Page_pic.JPG

I remember Anaheim in the 1960's, 70's and 80's, and it was tacky and trashy. There's a very good reason Walt publicly used it as an example of what he would not let happen in his planned Disney World. But the reality today is vastly different from 1965 or 1985. I would bet Walt would actually be thrilled to see how spiffy the streets around Anaheim look today. It's not 1966 anymore. That's the old Disneyland parking lot off Katella Ave. in the background.
art_bus_on_katella.jpg

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys, this is great. I know that Southern California is a tourist trap to begin with so the amount of things to do there goes beyond DL but no doubt about it a huge motivating factor for me to go to SoCal is to see DL for the first time.

A couple more things:

I constantly hear how superior the Haunted Mansion is at MK as opposed to DL. I love the Haunted Mansion to death so how much better is the one at MK compared to DL?

And how much better is Pirates at DL? A lot? A little? No difference?

Also thanks for the heads up about the signage en route to DL. I'm so used to seeing a billion signs in Orlando all the time so it's nice to know I'll need to be a little more alert.

Lastly, I hear a lot about "locals" being the majority of the crowd at DL. This is not the case in WDW obviously. So here is my question. SoCal is a huge tourist trap, how can Disneyland - probably the biggest thing to do there - not be filled with people from all over the country and world? MK had 17 million visitors in 2009. DL had 14 million. It isn't that different. Do the locals really make up a big chunk of that 14 million?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom