Magic Kingdom TV Universe in Development at Disney+

DCLcruiser

Yes, but this may lead to more homogenization across the parks globally.

For example, if the Haunted Mansion becomes a popular part within this MKU, then there will be pressure to replace Phantom Manor / Mystic Manor with Haunted Mansion material. The original Tower of Terror might become revised to be another one of Harrison Hightower's hotels.
Possibly, or give them a chance to do shows on each one. Plus, I don't have much of a connection to BTMRR, yet apparently there is a backstory. This could add to, and maybe rekindle, an appreciation for legacy rides/lands.

Disneyson

I think writing a BTMRR/Frontierland storyline with meaningful indigenous narratives and the connection to Frontierland would be really excellent. Isn't Paris' story that the "curse" on the mountain is due to the "Thunderbird"? Or they could conversely ignore it and make it a spell that Madame Leota or even AC's Madame Zarkov did. Maybe they're sisters. IDK, now I have too many ideas, please hire me.

EDIT: Full Disclosure, I've been writing a TTRPG with the premise that all of the theme park events are connected somehow through S.E.A., and it's really fun. The characters are really funny, so I hope they make this an epic comedy instead of a down-the-line Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. deal. Once you suck the humor from any of these attractions I think you miss the point. It needs to be a tick funnier than Firefly, IMHO.

Last edited:

brb1006

Definitely an interesting development, especially if it would lead to attractions that are focused on SEA as opposed to more traditional media. Yes, I suppose it’s still “IP” but would be more welcome by park purists.

Any chance one of the first ones could be based on Lord Mystic and having a certain ride appear in WDW as a result? Or for that matter, I’d Dreamfinder a member of SEA?
That reminds me, I remember a few years ago there was one official Youtube Channel by Disney that had numerous audio animatronics interacting with each other. I remember one video involved the goat from Big Thunder Mountain. I forgot the name, but I swear I seen that years ago.

FigmentJedi

For example, if the Haunted Mansion becomes a popular part within this MKU, then there will be pressure to replace Phantom Manor / Mystic Manor with Haunted Mansion material. The original Tower of Terror might become revised to be another one of Harrison Hightower's hotels.
Mystic Manor should probably be safe since it's the main thing responsible for the international expansion of SEA. Phantom Manor on the other hand could prove complicated given its Big Thunder Mountain connection and the question of whether Ravenswood or Bullion get priority within that adaptation. Unless they go a "Business partners" route...

cjkeating

Surely Mystic Manor that already has SEA connections or Phantom Manor with an interconnected Frontierland backstory would be better to integrate into a SEA series than Haunted Mansion?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I just remembered, whatever happened to that Magic Kingdom movie that Jon Faverau was directing?
Apparently, Ron Moore (who's doing this new Magic Kingdom/SEA movie/series), had long ago written a MK script and that was what Jon Favreau was going to direct.

But Jon got sidetracked with other projects such as Jungle Book, Lion King, and Mandalorian. Which pretty much put the idea on the shelf.

Until D+ comes along with its voracious appetite for new content.

So, Ron Moore is back on the project as well as having a long term deal with D+ for content, such as the rebooted Swiss Family Robinson series.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Sounds promising, but I could see it going in a cheesy / young adult direction that I'm hoping they avoid.
They need to walk Feige and Favreau around the set once a week to do a spot check and give them unlimited discretion to bop people on the head and say "stop doing that, that's stupid."

Such a shame that John Lasseter turned out to be a handsy creep because he would have been incredible for this.

HanSoloDolo

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Kevin Smith also had a crack at this. I believe it was based on the YA Series which name eludes me where the park would come to life after close.

Robbiem

I love the idea of some TV based off the parks. I’m not sure why it all has to fit in a ‘universe’ though. Can’t we just have fun shows and accept that something like a jungle cruise show would have nothing to do with a big thunder show without having to have some sort of interconnected narrative. Im not against it but I’m worried it might get in the way of telling fun stories you can enjoy without knowing everything about the universe

doctornick

I love the idea of some TV based off the parks. I’m not sure why it all has to fit in a ‘universe’ though. Can’t we just have fun shows and accept that something like a jungle cruise show would have nothing to do with a big thunder show without having to have some sort of interconnected narrative. Im not against it but I’m worried it might get in the way of telling fun stories you can enjoy without knowing everything about the universe

I tend to agree with not having to "force" everything to be interconnected or relating to each other would be beneficial. But I like the idea of SEA as a framing device. I think someone mentioned that having characters gather in the Adventurer's Club telling stories of past adventures would work well to have episodes that are relatively independent.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A movie-universe based on S.E.A. and Disney parks attractions:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom