News Magic Kingdom & TTC Entrance/Parking Improvements

TrainsOfDisney

I thought the whole point and original idea of the TTC was for it to be generic, that way you leave the modern world behind as you cross the lagoon into the world of Fantasy?

The original TTC still had a color scheme (the old transportation purple colors), decorative pavement, colorful signage for boats and monorails, topiaries, planters.

It’s also very strange that when they redid the tram loops they took away all covered waiting areas.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The original TTC still had a color scheme (the old transportation purple colors), decorative pavement, colorful signage for boats and monorails, topiaries, planters.

It’s also very strange that when they redid the tram loops they took away all covered waiting areas.
The recent TTC changes look to be done as low-cost as possible. Utilitarian would be the only way to describe it.

Kman101

Yep. I was hoping to get some improvement at the TTC but it seems so, as WDWMagic said, "low-cost". I also expressed disappointment in the lack of covered waiting areas for the trams. Of course a few of the usuals defended it. I mean, it rains how often in the summer? Not just about protecting you from the sun ... so many places have covered walkways, too, it's not hard ... I also find it disappointing they haven't completely covered where you wait at the tapstiles. Sure some are partially covered but ... IMO if they truly cared about "guest comfort" and improving the experience (which a lot of these changes DO, I've noticed a better entrance process for the most part and I appreciate the expanded, permanent security structures, etc. and the new tram loops) they could do a bit more ... but I guess if they were ever planned, cover structures are probably the first to go if budgets are slashed.

I like a lot of the improvements and I've said it on here I appreciate the work being done to improve the entrance procedure. It's helping. But I'd like them to do a little more at times just because ... they can. But they don't. Usually the bare minimum or just above.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep. I was hoping to get some improvement at the TTC but it seems so, as WDWMagic said, "low-cost". I also expressed disappointment in the lack of covered waiting areas for the trams. Of course a few of the usuals defended it. I mean, it rains how often in the summer? Not just about protecting you from the sun ... so many places have covered walkways, too, it's not hard ... I also find it disappointing they haven't completely covered where you wait at the tapstiles. Sure some are partially covered but ... IMO if they truly cared about "guest comfort" and improving the experience (which a lot of these changes DO, I've noticed a better entrance process for the most part and I appreciate the expanded, permanent security structures, etc. and the new tram loops) they could do a bit more ... but I guess if they were ever planned, cover structures are probably the first to go if budgets are slashed.

I like a lot of the improvements and I've said it on here I appreciate the work being done to improve the entrance procedure. It's helping. But I'd like them to do a little more at times just because ... they can. But they don't. Usually the bare minimum or just above.
The TTC has been on a "bare minimum" for many years now, and like you, I was hoping there may have been a course shift with this round of updates. It does seem though that the bar has now gone even lower.

Mike730

Original Poster
👏👏👏

Creathir

The TTC has been on a "bare minimum" for many years now, and like you, I was hoping there may have been a course shift with this round of updates. It does seem though that the bar has now gone even lower.
It really is poor show IMO.
And really speaks volumes as to what they think of the customer.

“Coming from off property, hop in steerage with the rest of the cattle.”

Who on earth green-lit this?

jt04

During rainstorms the covered areas would quickly fill with people so if they added them they would have to cover a very large area. But yeah, they would be a great addition. This is also a great benefit of parking garages such as at Universal.

Josh Hendy

It really is poor show IMO.
And really speaks volumes as to what they think of the customer.

“Coming from off property, hop in steerage with the rest of the cattle.”

Who on earth green-lit this?
The off-property approach and departure from MK has always been very cattle-like. Whether you're rope dropping, rolling in at 11 am, leaving in the middle of the day for a nap, and no matter when you leave in the evening but especially if you leave after the fireworks. And if it's raining ...

The idea that approaching and leaving MK should be an "experience" was 'way off. We came 1500 miles to be here, already had the approach experience, Walt.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ok, time to throw this out there.

One of our bus drivers last week claimed the bus was late because the previous driver, at the end of their shift, left the bus somewhere they weren't supposed to because, "we're using a new system so it's taking all of us some time to get used to it". Does anyone know if this is true, what they were talking about, etc.?

We also noticed a distinct lack of bus arrival times, both in the MDE app and on the video displays in the bus area (at least at Wilderness Lodge). Usually there were one or two times posted, if we were lucky. Even when buses showed up (that's another story altogether), there was often no info for it on the displays.

Creathir

One of our bus drivers last week claimed the bus was late because the previous driver, at the end of their shift, left the bus somewhere they weren't supposed to because, "we're using a new system so it's taking all of us some time to get used to it". Does anyone know if this is true, what they were talking about, etc.?

We also noticed a distinct lack of bus arrival times, both in the MDE app and on the video displays in the bus area (at least at Wilderness Lodge). Usually there were one or two times posted, if we were lucky. Even when buses showed up (that's another story altogether), there was often no info for it on the displays.
About 2-3 years ago Disney was hiring transportation focused software developers for a bus fleet management and routing utility.

I’m guessing it’s starting to roll out.

peter11435

They are using a new system

TrainsOfDisney

During rainstorms the covered areas would quickly fill with people so if they added them they would have to cover a very large area.

I never remember them being a problem. I definitely left MK and Epcot in crazy rain storms and I was always able to wait for and board a tram easily.

JoeCamel

I saw a post about just getting on a bus when it comes and they will take you where you are going. No routes, just freeform.

jt04

I never remember them being a problem. I definitely left MK and Epcot in crazy rain storms and I was always able to wait for and board a tram easily.

It can be less easy for large groups with children and those with mobility issues. Uni built the perfect system IMO. Though I realize something similar at wdw is years and years away.

One quick way would be to build them in phases and call it premium parking and charge accordingly. Perhaps contracted to a third party.

TrainsOfDisney

It can be less easy for large groups with children and those with mobility issues. Uni built the perfect system IMO. Though I realize something similar at wdw is years and years away.

One quick way would be to build them in phases and call it premium parking and charge accordingly. Perhaps contracted to a third party.

We are going from wanting a covered space to wait for a tram to an entire parking garage?

wishiwere@wdw

I’d have to hope we’ll at least see umbrellas pop up once this is more formally wrapped up? Perhaps this is their way to stress the importance and advantage of staying onsite as those queues are fully covered 😂

donsullivan

Premium Member
I’d have to hope we’ll at least see umbrellas pop up once this is more formally wrapped up? Perhaps this is their way to stress the importance and advantage of staying onsite as those queues are fully covered 😂

While I acknowledge that MK/TTC tram waiting area used to be covered, no other park had such covering for this area. It seems they are now just making them all the same. Security is covered everywhere and tram load and unload is not covered anywhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While I acknowledge that MK/TTC tram waiting area used to be covered, no other park had such covering for this area. It seems they are now just making them all the same. Security is covered everywhere and tram load and unload is not covered anywhere.
Shame they didn’t take this opportunity to begin to fix that mistake.

Epcot used to be covered remember.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Shame they didn’t take this opportunity to begin to fix that mistake.

Epcot used to be covered remember.
You are correct on Epcot. I never ride the parking lot tram so I forgot about that one.

They could also certainly choose to cover them in the future (although space is kind of tight at TTC). But, with the impending budget challenges I wouldn't expect to see it much different than it is now for a good long while.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom