Magic Kingdom TSRs adding liquor drinks

JoeCamel

I really do understand where some people are coming from on this thread because I do see alcohol in venues that traditionally did not sell it. A major downtown department store added a wine bar apart from its restaurant, and I've also seen them in grocery stores. They don't seem to be all that successful from what I've observed.

But this thread is about adding some themed, overpriced and incredibly weak cocktails to restaurants that have been selling wine and beer for 10 years now. Unlike Epcot, Disney has been very conservative with selling liquor at MK and I doubt that's going to change. You'll just see a few of the cocktails that are already available along the monorail line at Artist's Point, 'Ohana, etc.
As long as I don't get a mickey....

Chi84

Premium Member
Some Whole Foods and Mariano's around here have wine available. I thought it was weird to see and I would never, but I also didn't think it shouldn't be allowed.

You (the general you) can actively choose not to partake while there, but still not be opposed to it existing. :)
I was thinking about Mariano's and the Nordstrom on Michigan Avenue. They have a wine bar set up in the middle of the store, which helps significantly with their prices.

Smiley/OCD

Personally, I don’t have a problem with alcohol at MK…maybe if it was available a few months ago, the two families wouldn’t have been fighting outside of PhilharMagic…in Jersey, you can’t even buy beer and wine at 7-11, so if a cold one makes your afternoon with the kiddos easier, have at it…BUT, if you get in a fight or make an a** out of yourself and security has to be called, you and your family gets trespassed PERMANENTLY, no ifs ands or buts. I can’t wait to see the DWI checkpoints for scooter drivers…Mickey shaped breathalyzers…

Dear Prudence

Personally, I don’t have a problem with alcohol at MK…maybe if it was available a few months ago, the two families wouldn’t have been fighting outside of PhilharMagic…in Jersey, you can’t even buy beer and wine at 7-11, so if a cold one makes your afternoon with the kiddos easier, have at it…BUT, if you get in a fight or make an a** out of yourself and security has to be called, you and your family gets trespassed PERMANENTLY, no ifs ands or buts. I can’t wait to see the DWI checkpoints for scooter drivers…Mickey shaped breathalyzers…
I love that Fluffy sketch about how almost getting in trouble at Disneyland. "You've never feared for your life the way you do when you're being questioned by someone with a badge in the shape of a mouse."

BrianLo

The issue is not with individual actions. Consuming alcoholic beverages is not the issue.

The problem is the larger cultural attitude that alcohol consumption is the default. There is a rather pervasive attitude that those who don’t drink (even if it’s situational) are the ones with a problem. Saying you don’t think alcohol is appropriate for a context is met with ridicule and accusations of moralism. People say they won’t go to places that don’t serve alcoholic beverages. What it has to do with Toys R Us is the increasing perception that places need to offer alcohol for sale even if their primary audience is children. Chuck E. Cheese sells alcohol. The issue isn’t any one action, it’s the wider view that alcohol should be available everywhere as much as possible.

You are arguing two discretely separate things. No one thinks anyone who chooses not to drink is a problem. Not wanting alcohol served in a certain context has nothing to do with those who do or do not drink. One could drink and not want alcohol served in MK (likely for historical reasons). One could also not drink and have no problem with alcohol being served in MK. Exclusively not wanting alcohol served because one does not like alcohol is perhaps moralism.

Which then boils down to is it odd to have alcohol served in MK? I don't think MK's primary audience should be 'children', so I'm happy if they get away from that. The audience is literally every demographic, there should not be societal shame in enjoying MK without kids.

However, historically the park avoided serving alcohol, so it would not be that odd to continue to do so. On the other hand purporting to have 'nice dining', in a vacation destination, without alcohol, is also odd in today's standards.

So, it comes down to tolerance for change more than anything and personally seeing it as a pro to broadening the demographic. For me at least. Toys R Us is likely never looking to appeal to me.

lazyboy97o

You are arguing two discretely separate things. No one thinks anyone who chooses not to drink is a problem. Not wanting alcohol served in a certain context has nothing to do with those who do or do not drink. One could drink and not want alcohol served in MK (likely for historical reasons). One could also not drink and have no problem with alcohol being served in MK. Exclusively not wanting alcohol served because one does not like alcohol is perhaps moralism.

Which then boils down to is it odd to have alcohol served in MK? I don't think MK's primary audience should be 'children', so I'm happy if they get away from that. The audience is literally every demographic, there should not be societal shame in enjoying MK without kids.

However, historically the park avoided serving alcohol, so it would not be that odd to continue to do so. On the other hand purporting to have 'nice dining', in a vacation destination, without alcohol, is also odd in today's standards.

So, it comes down to tolerance for change more than anything and personally seeing it as a pro to broadening the demographic. For me at least. Toys R Us is likely never looking to appeal to me.
Where did I say not wanting alcohol served in a context was tied to personal use?

You sort of prove my point though when you say it would be odd by today’s standards not to have alcohol. That’s what my whole comment was about, today’s standards being that alcohol should be served in more and more places. It’s not just high end experiences or one’s with broad demographics. Chuck E. Cheese is not a high end experience. They were not trying to broaden their demographics with things like late night experiences for adults. They serve alcohol so you can have a beer during a some kid’s 5th birthday party at 11:00 AM.

dreday3

Maybe it's all how you grew up.

As I said earlier in thread, Italian family, we had alcohol at baptisms, first communions, graduations, Sunday dinners, birthdays, holidays and the brunch after funerals.

So when I see it offered, doesn't bother me. It's not that I think of it as right or wrong. It's that I don't think of it at all.

Dan Deesnee

Just... don't buy them if you don't want them.

I'll never understand this mindset where people are offended that something they don't like is even offered.

Maybe it's because MK caters to the youngest demographic and some parents aren't excited about the idea of moron drunk adults stumbling around MK like they do at Epcot?

Just a thought...

The cheapening and dumbing down of the Disney experience continues. Walt is truly spinning in his grave.

Orlando Sentinel:

It's a departure from the philosophy of the man behind it all, Walt Disney, who famously was against alcohol at his parks. He told the Saturday Evening Post in 1956 — “No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want, and I feel they don't need it.
Sep 11, 2018

But let's all keep celebrating the slow destruction of the world's most beloved theme park... Little by little, bit by bit.

BrianLo

Where did I say not wanting alcohol served in a context was tied to personal use?

I think I was just connecting your two sentences together as the same criticism, it read oddly. I understand now you meant they are two separate problems.

"There is a rather pervasive attitude that those who don’t drink (even if it’s situational) are the ones with a problem. Saying you don’t think alcohol is appropriate for a context is met with ridicule and accusations of moralism."

I think we share the same stance and are saying somewhat the same thing. MK is naturally high end so if Chuck E. Cheese serves Bud Light these days, I expect Blue Bayou to serve wine and cocktails. I guess that's a societal issue though, but whether that's 'a problem' definitely is skewed by the American sensibilities lens.

It's funny how laissez fare society has transitioned with alcohol, but yet what we view as appropriate media for children has largely gone the opposite way.

Chi84

Premium Member
Maybe it's because MK caters to the youngest demographic and some parents aren't excited about the idea of moron drunk adults stumbling around MK
But MK has been selling beer and wine in its restaurants for 10 years now and it hasn’t turned into Epcot. Do you honestly believe that adding a couple of high priced fancy cocktails to the restaurant menus is going to matter?

It’s not as though MK is going to start hosting food and wine events like Epcot. From what I understand, there are groups going to Epcot for the purpose of “drinking around the world.” Do you think that’s going to happen at MK? Because it really doesn’t seem like a conducive environment for excessive drinking.

lazyboy97o

I think I was just connecting your two sentences together as the same criticism, it read oddly. I understand now you meant they are two separate problems.

"There is a rather pervasive attitude that those who don’t drink (even if it’s situational) are the ones with a problem. Saying you don’t think alcohol is appropriate for a context is met with ridicule and accusations of moralism."

I think we share the same stance and are saying somewhat the same thing. MK is naturally high end so if Chuck E. Cheese serves Bud Light these days, I expect Blue Bayou to serve wine and cocktails. I guess that's a societal issue though, but whether that's 'a problem' definitely is skewed by the American sensibilities lens.

It's funny how laissez fare society has transitioned with alcohol, but yet what we view as appropriate media for children has largely gone the opposite way.
I don’t think it’s necessarily an American thing. The initial comment about Toys R Us was not made by an American.

My issue isn’t even people opting to have an alcoholic beverage in a certain place. It’s more the ever increasing eagerness I see to get alcohol, that as soon as arriving someplace they have to go get a drink. People very much living like a “wine mom” shirt or other knickknack, that they really do have to have their bottle everyday and everywhere. The part I find problematic about Chuck E. Cheese serving alcohol is their view that it made them more competitive, that they felt that people were not going there because they didn’t have alcohol.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I don’t think it’s necessarily an American thing. The initial comment about Toys R Us was not made by an American.

I considered saying North American for that reason, but we get it from America, not our European roots. 😂

There's weird things that I find distasteful because of our own liquor policies. Beer in convenience stores feels tacky and uncouth.

Chi84

Premium Member

My issue isn’t even people opting to have an alcoholic beverage in a certain place. It’s more the ever increasing eagerness I see to get alcohol, that as soon as arriving someplace they have to go get a drink. People very much living like a “wine mom” shirt or other knickknack, that they really do have to have their bottle everyday and everywhere. The part I find problematic about Chuck E. Cheese serving alcohol is their view that it made them more competitive, that they felt that people were not going there because they didn’t have alcohol.
I think you are making a lot of hyperbolic statements about people who drink alcohol. Most are able to have a drink or two responsibly without feeling the need to have a bottle every day everywhere.

If people don’t think drinking alcohol at Chuck E. Cheese is appropriate while they’re there with their kids they just won’t do it. Just because a place offers alcohol doesn’t mean everyone is going to drink it.

lazyboy97o

I think you are making a lot of hyperbolic statements about people who drink alcohol. Most are able to have a drink or two responsibly without feeling the need to have a bottle every day everywhere.

If people don’t think drinking alcohol at Chuck E. Cheese is appropriate while they’re there with their kids they just won’t do it. Just because a place offers alcohol doesn’t mean everyone is going to drink it.
You’re reading what you want to read, again trying to make it an issue of teetotaling.

Chi84

Premium Member
You’re reading what you want to read, again trying to make it an issue of teetotaling.
How on earth did you get that? I’m just saying that most social drinking is responsible and doesn’t lead to intoxication.

I’ve seen the expansion of alcohol into department and grocery stores, but I’ve seen very few people actually drinking in those places. The same is true for Chuck E. Cheese. If someone is out to get drunk that’s probably not going to be their choice of venue.

I’m just saying I don’t see the harm in simply giving people the option. Two of my kids thought it was fun to have a margarita from a cart one day at AK, but that was all the alcohol they had that day. I’m not seeing all the staggering belligerent drunks some people are describing.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Just a thought...
The cheapening and dumbing down of the Disney experience continues. Walt is truly spinning in his grave.
But let's all keep celebrating the slow destruction of the world's most beloved theme park... Little by little, bit by bit.

Times change and those that fail to change will be relegated to the ash heaps of history. It's no longer 1956.

Chi84

Premium Member
Epcot hasn't turned into Epcot, the way this guy describes Epcot.
We visit Epcot on every trip, usually at night. I've seen some goofy drinking sayings on shirts, but I've never seen the kind of wildly inappropriate behavior people have been describing. Although I'm sure it's happened because some people are senseless jerks even without the alcohol and there are a whole lot of people in Epcot at any given time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom