Magic Kingdom TSRs adding liquor drinks

TrojanUSC

I’m not saying this as a bad move but as someone who has experience owning venues which serve alcohol, the moment you tell people they can’t get a straight shot or a double shot or you cut them off because they’re getting too drunk/rowdy… customers get very angry very quick. It’s very hard to balance a family friendly and classy environment and providing liquor, even with menus. It’s unfortunate but that’s the reality.

They're serving beer and wine now. Anyone getting upset because they can't get a vodka soda currently is still going to get upset when they can't get a vodka soda, even with a couple pre-made drinks added to the menu.

lazyboy97o

No one is forced to have a drink. I couldn't care less if someone drinks or not.

What I dont like is other people deciding for everyone when people should or should not be allowed to drink.

You can put as fancy a spin as you want on it, but that's what your post is saying. Your view is that alcohol shouldn't be so widely available and everyone else that doesn't have a problem with it is wrong
Where did I decide anything? But yes, if you have a problem with some places choosing not to serve alcohol then that is your problem.

SteveAZee

I understand what you're saying. I don't mind but there is a school of thought that MK shouldn't be offering any alcohol. Starting with beer and wine in the restaurants several years ago opens up a slippery slope. Now, you're seeing the next stage play out. That would be the argument offered.
If you've had enough drinks, any slope can be a slippery slope.

SteveAZee

This seems similar to cigarette smoking... second hand smoke in particular. It's not necessarily about people being given the option to drink alcohol, but more having to be near someone who's had TOO much alcohol. Having kids/families/whomever exposed to the results of someone over imbibing (staggering, bad behavior, vomiting, etc) is perhaps what everyone's interested in avoiding. One way to do it is to not have alcohol. Unlike smoking, you can't set up 'drinking zones' (though I guess restaurants are sort of that), but once the cigarette is done, so is the smoke. Someone tipsy/drunk is that way long after they've left the restaurant.

I'm fine if a park serves alcohol. I'm also fine if they don't. I'm certainly glad people aren't walking around smoking though, so I see at least some of the problem.

Chi84

Premium Member
The issue is not with individual actions. Consuming alcoholic beverages is not the issue.

The problem is the larger cultural attitude that alcohol consumption is the default. There is a rather pervasive attitude that those who don’t drink (even if it’s situational) are the ones with a problem. Saying you don’t think alcohol is appropriate for a context is met with ridicule and accusations of moralism. People say they won’t go to places that don’t serve alcoholic beverages. What it has to do with Toys R Us is the increasing perception that places need to offer alcohol for sale even if their primary audience is children. Chuck E. Cheese sells alcohol. The issue isn’t any one action, it’s the wider view that alcohol should be available everywhere as much as possible.
I guess I just don’t see alcohol as being any kind of default or a view that alcohol should be available everywhere as much as possible. Those statements seem a bit extreme. And I certainly don’t have a problem with places not serving alcohol or with people who don’t drink. I really don’t care.

Some people like to have a drink (especially with dinner) and I don’t have a problem with them either.

I’ve been visiting Disney for a very long time and I’ve never seen anyone visibly intoxicated. I’m not denying it happens but most people can handle a drink even at a venue where children are welcome. I’ve been to Chuck E. Cheese and have never had a drink there but I wouldn’t begrudge someone else doing so.

Sir_Cliff

I enjoy several good drinks regularly and would probably order a (overpriced and watered-down) cocktail at one of the restaurants at MK if I was having dinner. I also don't think it's really going to change much in terms of guest behaviour, particularly when the park is surrounded by hotels with restaurants serving alcohol and rooms full of people who can drink as much as they want before setting foot outside.

That said, I am sympathetic to those who are tired by the ubiquity of alcohol in our culture. I remember when I went to university it was common in the last tutorial for the TA/tutor to hold the class in the university bar while everyone sat around drinking beer. When I started teaching, that was one thing I never did even as a drinker myself because it seemed like perpetuating the notion that drinking was the correct way to relax and putting people who didn't or didn't want to drink in an uncomfortable situation. So, I do get why people would groan about alcohol creeping into one of the few places that was mostly alcohol-free. I do also ponder sometimes how difficult it must be for recovering alcoholics to manoeuvre through the world.

BuddyThomas

I’ve got news for the bunch of you, or maybe some are already aware. There is already alcohol in the Magic Kingdom and it has been there for many years. It is just wearing a costume.

DBD6EACE-E666-4157-BCE2-8E1D1D3C9B33.jpeg

EricsBiscuit

But it took them forever to add only beer and wine to the menus and now they’re talking about adding cocktails. I suspect it’s because some of the restaurants like Skipper Canteen would like to sell themed drinks in cool-looking glasses. Who said anything about serving straight shots or double shots?
Beer and wine are totally different animals from liquor. It doesn’t matter if shots are not on the menu. People will ask and get ridiculously mad if they can’t get them. I’ve had bartenders spat at in the face over this. You can say “Sorry, we do not serve … drink” in the most professional way and people will still get angry.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I always enjoy reading the anti-alcohol posts by the resident Puritans, especially when they tout out the tired line about the vision of some guy who's been dead for 50 years getting ruined. The simple fact of the matter is this: don't drink? Don't buy it. Let the adults in the room do as they please and go cry about your purity being ruined in the corner of your "safe space."

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Realistically there is so little alcohol content in Disney drinks, and the price is so high, that those two factors will likely go a long way to preventing issues with guest behavior. But of course, there will be exceptions.
I couldn't wait to turn 21 and drink, lol and my first stop was Yankee stadium where a cup of warm beer was ridiculous 🙄
My parents laughed and said "yeah, they don't tell you that drinking ain't cheap"

Booze at MK is a non issue

bhg469

I couldn't wait to turn 21 and drink, lol and my first stop was Yankee stadium where a cup of warm beer was ridiculous 🙄
My parents laughed and said "yeah, they don't tell you that drinking ain't cheap"

Booze at MK is a non issue
Exactly! There will be no "drinking around the kingdom" groups.. There won't be bachelorette parties and there wont be people puking in bushes.

Dear Prudence

It's worth noting that part of the ubiquity of alcohol was pushed by the alcohol companies against sugary drinks like soda (as if alcohol isn't sugars, but okay).

I love the ✨️commitment✨️ to the 🎉mischaracterization 🎉 of people saying that because some of us want a break from literally everything revolving around alcohol and just wanting a lil break from it IMMEDIATELY means that that we are a puritanical leader of the temperance movement. Holy crap. Way to tell on yourselves. 🤣😂

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I really do understand where some people are coming from on this thread because I do see alcohol in venues that traditionally did not sell it. A major downtown department store added a wine bar apart from its restaurant, and I've also seen them in grocery stores. They don't seem to be all that successful from what I've observed.

But this thread is about adding some themed, overpriced and incredibly weak cocktails to restaurants that have been selling wine and beer for 10 years now. Unlike Epcot, Disney has been very conservative with selling liquor at MK and I doubt that's going to change. You'll just see a few of the cocktails that are already available along the monorail line at Artist's Point, 'Ohana, etc.

dreday3

I really do understand where some people are coming from on this thread because I do see alcohol in venues that traditionally did not sell it. A major downtown department store added a wine bar apart from its restaurant, and I've also seen them in grocery stores. They don't seem to be all that successful from what I've observed.

But this thread is about adding some themed, overpriced and incredibly weak cocktails to restaurants that have been selling wine and beer for 10 years now. Unlike Epcot, Disney has been very conservative with selling liquor at MK and I doubt that's going to change. You'll just see a few of the cocktails that are already available along the monorail line at Artist's Point, 'Ohana, etc.

Some Whole Foods and Mariano's around here have wine available. I thought it was weird to see and I would never, but I also didn't think it shouldn't be allowed.

You (the general you) can actively choose not to partake while there, but still not be opposed to it existing. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom