Magic Kingdom TSRs adding liquor drinks

dreday3

Not a fan of alcohol in the MK. This is the very definition of a family park so alcohol should absolutely be prohibited. Tempers are already shorter than ever without it.

Every theme park is a family park. 🤷‍♀️

Even IOA has Seuss Landing.

And why does being a family park mean part of the family can't have drinks? Growing up in an Italian-American family, there was wine (and more) at every family party, including baptisms and children's b-days.

This is a train of thought I won't take any further :), but family oriented doesn't have to have anything to do with being able to purchase alcohol.

bhg469

I think the attitude is totally different though - people get "drinking around the world" shirts and stuff. They plan to drink a lot when going to EPCOT.

Though I think the worst people are those that pre-party in the parking lot (seen quite a few empty cases of beer left in the parking lot) so they are 3/4 of the way in the tank before they even enter the park.

I am not saying this is something that *needs* to happen, I just don't think it will drastically change things. Not like people seeing jello shots on main st or something
The bachelorette parties are probably the worst offenders that I have witnessed..

Grumpy4196

Every theme park is a family park. 🤷‍♀️

Even IOA has Seuss Landing.
So maybe family was not the right word. MK is definitely geared more towards the 15 and under crowd than any of the other WDW parks or Universal and Seuss Landing is a small token thrown in so they can charge 3 years old and up for park entry without having to deal with any blowback from the public.

dreday3

So maybe family was not the right word. MK is definitely geared more towards the 15 and under crowd than any of the other WDW parks or Universal and Seuss Landing is a small token thrown in so they can charge 3 years old and up for park entry without having to deal with any blowback from the public.

My thoughts above still stand. I think I added to post after you quoted, apologies.

All this to say, I'd still only order wine at an MK table service (or anywhere really unless restaurant has a full bar). :D

ToTBellHop

I understand they’ve hired a bartender this morning.

1662050929777.png

He makes a mean Manhattan.

eliza61nyc

It's hysterical, the stuff people get upset about. They rage about a $45 MagicBand+ because it's stupid, or a $19 margarita because you can get a better margarita at the Mexican restaurant in your home town, and they say it like spending $150 to ride a toy train through a fiberglass mine is a wise and prudent financial investment. Every single thing we discuss on here, including the stuff people claim to love, is a frivolous waste of money. But some frivolous wastes of money are just a step too far to be tolerated for some people.
OMG, best answer ever

Animaniac93-98

I am actually glad to see this...then I don't have to smuggle rum into the park for my Dole Whip...lol
Diamond Horseshoe as a location? Well that makes sense, but what is it used for these days...last time I was in there (admittedly years ago) it was a temporary restaurant serving BBQ beef sandwiches and bagged chips. Has it returned to full service with a show?
And if they are serving cocktails there, could they not justify bringing the show back as a way of selling more booze? win/win in my book...

I just made a post in another thread about how DH is making more money than ever, but has 0 live entertainment...

...and that was before this rumor about expanding alcohol sales.

Many years ago the thing that irked me the most about MK was having 20,000 Leagues just sit there for years on end instead of reopening or replacing it. Now I think the current status quo of the Diamond Horseshoe takes that spot (or at least second to bringing back the Magic Shop sign...but not the actual Magic Shop).

Animaniac93-98

MK was successful without alcohol for 40 years.

That is not to say it should never be sold in the park, but it was never considered essential to the experience and the restriction or limiting of sales had an intangible value to Disney and its guests.

Introducing MK drink carts now after so many recent price increases and monetizing of things that used to be "free" would look a bit desperate. As if management is trying anything and everything to squeeze a few extra bucks from this park.

If the goal is to increase revenue they could have started by reopening the existing, but closed dining locations and selling more unique things in the gift shops, but those things don't have as high a margin as drink carts...

CaptainAmerica

That is not to say it should never be sold in the park, but it was never considered essential to the experience and the restriction or limiting of sales had an intangible value to Disney and its guests.

Introducing MK drink carts now after so many recent price increases and monetizing of things that used to be "free" would look a bit desperate. As if management is trying anything and everything to squeeze a few extra bucks from this park.

If the goal is to increase revenue they could have started by reopening the existing, but closed dining locations and selling more unique things in the gift shops, but those things don't have as high a margin as drink carts...
This is a win for two groups of people and neutral for everyone else.

- The guy who would like a drink but couldn't get one now can.
- Disney makes money.
- The guy who wouldn't like a drink isn't forced to buy one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The point is, the fights are already happening in alcohol-free Magic Kingdom, not alcohol-heavy World Showcase. Ergo, they're not caused by alcohol.
Showcase has an interesting extra layer of security specifically for this.

I’m more concerned about those who will consume then get in the car. And that the neighbourhood will go to pot of course.

Dear Prudence

I honestly hate alcohol in the parks. It's like give me one space on this planet that does not have alcohol or is an alcohol free zone. People are fine to drink it at home or in restaurants or bars, but like, there's even beer served at the zoo now. How is a beer essential to the zoo-going experience and not like.... raising any red flags. :/

*edit: and, granted, "if you don't like it, don't drink it," sure, but I would like at least one space on this planet where I can be away from it.

dreday3

I honestly hate alcohol in the parks. It's like give me one space on this planet that does not have alcohol or is an alcohol free zone. People are fine to drink it at home or in restaurants or bars, but like, there's even beer served at the zoo now. How is a beer essential to the zoo-going experience and not like.... raising any red flags. :/

*edit: and, granted, "if you don't like it, don't drink it," sure, but I would like at least one space on this planet where I can be away from it.

What's the red flag? That people like to cool down at the end of (or during) a long hot day with a beer? Or relax with a glass of wine to end a great day? Oh yes, that's awful.

I'm always amazed at the ways people find things to prop themselves up with while simultaneously putting others down.

They are adding (and it's just a rumor), sugary, watered down cocktails to some dinner menus. That's it. Not putting a shot bar in the middle of Main Street. (although maybe they should add a saloon? or is that just in the old West? 🤔)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom