Magic Kingdom to test mobile phone charging lockers for guest use

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This is some cool (and much needed) stuff! Hopefully they can roll out a whole lot of these before long, and work with this company to theme them to their respective areas.
Looks like it'll have 30-pin, Lightning, and MicroUSB connectors.

Clamman73

In the video on the company's website it shows the 30 pin connector as a cable connection inside the locker...I take it it'll have the lightning connector now though???

Yankee Mouse

"To use the charger, guests will swipe a credit card, which acts as an ID for the locker. The chamber door opens, and inside are a number of charger cables."

Great idea, but swipe a credit card? Are they abandoning magic bands for everything already?

Also it is hard enough to find a seat at cosmic rays, now people will stay even longer to wait while their phones charge.

Tigger1988

"To use the charger, guests will swipe a credit card, which acts as an ID for the locker. The chamber door opens, and inside are a number of charger cables."

Swipe a credit card? Are they abandoning magic bands for everything already?
It's a test. Why would they have customized machines produced for something that might not even last beyond the test period?

If it goes wide I guarantee you'll be able to scan your band/card.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Great idea, but swipe a credit card? Are they abandoning magic bands for everything already?

Also it is hard enough to find a seat at cosmic rays, now people will stay even longer to wait while their phones charge.
It is an off-the-shelf product, so it has no integration with Disney's systems. That could change later though.

Yankee Mouse

It's a test. Why would they have customized machines produced for something that might not even last beyond the test period?

If it goes wide I guarantee you'll be able to scan your band/card.

I didn't think of it that way, but with the current demand for chargers, and the increased demand that will likely come from MDE I can't imagine this won't stick around.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Love this idea! I always pack and extra phone battery and my charging cord when I go to the parks. This will be even better

Marc Gil

I almost always run out of my phone battery while at the parks. Playing solitaire, and checking my Springfield (Simpsons Tapped Out) while waiting on long lines keeps me occupied and makes time fly faster. Also, since the MDE app is becoming more and more a part of my Disney getaways, it's almost necessary to charge my phone.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see this, although I agree that we should refrain from using our phones as much as possible while visiting WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom