Magic Kingdom to test mobile phone charging lockers for guest use

PhotoDave219

In the video on the company's website it shows the 30 pin connector as a cable connection inside the locker...I take it it'll have the lightning connector now though???

Per the company's FAQ:

Q: What phones are supported for charging?

We can charge any phone using a MicroUSB (Android, Windows, BlackBerry, and others), an Apple legacy 30-pin cord (iPod, iPhone 4), or an Apple Lightning cord (iPhone 5). These three chords represent all smartphones and nearly all feature phones (non-smartphones) sold on the market today.

PhotoDave219

So how many charging bays do you think they are going to need to meet demand?

Okay, median guest attendance is 47k/day ..... assume 45k for simple math... how many people have a cell phone theyre gonna need all day? Phones dont die as quick in MK with the improved cell coverage...

Without knowing the demographic breakdown of children to adults, this is really a wild guess. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin & do their phones need charging?

Gonna guess at least 500.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So how many charging bays do you think they are going to need to meet demand?
A metric crap ton. Hopefully you will be able to charge more than one phone of the same type in each locker. Locating them around the restaurants would be a wise choice as well. A meal would be on of the more ideal situations to ditch the phone for an hour and juice it up.

Bolt

Okay, median guest attendance is 47k/day ..... assume 45k for simple math... how many people have a cell phone theyre gonna need all day? Phones dont die as quick in MK with the improved cell coverage...

Without knowing the demographic breakdown of children to adults, this is really a wild guess. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin & do their phones need charging?

Gonna guess at least 500.
I think a variable is going to be translation for international guests as well as a set of people who don't trust these no matter what.

PhotoDave219

A metric crap ton. Hopefully you will be able to charge more than one phone of the same type in each locker. Locating them around the restaurants would be a wise choice as well. A meal would be on of the more ideal situations to ditch the phone for an hour and juice it up.

Yeah, thats the conclusion I've come to as well. Being in/near Cosmic Rays makes sense.

Per the FAQ (http://brightboxcharge.com/faq/)

Q: Can I charge two phones at once?

No. Brightbox™ only allows one phone to charge in a chamber at once. This way your phone is getting an optimal charge while ensuring security of a single device.

@wdwmagic Are these located in other theme parks? I swear I've heard of Disney using something similar in Disneyland.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, thats the conclusion I've come to as well. Being in/near Cosmic Rays makes sense.

Per the FAQ (http://brightboxcharge.com/faq/)

Q: Can I charge two phones at once?

No. Brightbox™ only allows one phone to charge in a chamber at once. This way your phone is getting an optimal charge while ensuring security of a single device.

@wdwmagic Are these located in other theme parks? I swear I've heard of Disney using something similar in Disneyland.
I think that will really need to change for this to work well in a small amount of space. IMHO 2 phones per locker would be the minimum, 4 would be much more ideal.

bhg469

Love this idea! I always pack and extra phone battery and my charging cord when I go to the parks. This will be even better
Swappable batteries are in my top must haves for a phone. Just picked up my first galaxy s phone last week(galaxy s5). While im not in love with all the samsung features they throw on to make it a novelty, I love it as hardware wise. I have a charger for my last phone that is an ac adapter that you can drop the spare battery in, these lockers would be more desirable with that option. It also leaves the door open for what other cable that apple decides to invent in the future.

PhotoDave219

I think that will really need to change for this to work well in a small amount of space. IMHO 2 phones per locker would be the minimum, 4 would be much more ideal.

Gonna have to take that up with BrightBox. This gets us to the bigger question of "How Many Devices does the Average family need to charge.....?" I know your family will have four devices. This is a giant step in the right direction and goes way beyond the "Here's an outlet on the wall for you to charge your device" as seen near Rapunzel's Restroom Station. (aka Kingdom Krossing)

I'm guessing at the end there still going to need 500-1000, minimum.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Gonna have to take that up with BrightBox. This gets us to the bigger question of "How Many Devices does the Average family need to charge.....?" I know your family will have four devices. This is a giant step in the right direction and goes way beyond the "Here's an outlet on the wall for you to charge your device" as seen near Rapunzel's Restroom Station. (aka Kingdom Krossing)

I'm guessing at the end there still going to need 500-1000, minimum.
You would have to think that Disney is thinking about this. I would not be surprised if a question about charging multiple phones per locker is in the guest feedback surveys.

UncleMike101

An external battery pack is a a must-have, I HIGHLY recommend the Anker brand, great product and the one I have can charge an iPhone about 5 times, and also an iPad 1 1/2 times.
This^^^^^^^^^^
I have a 3000mAh and a 12000mAh Anker. The 3000 Mini unit is for the standard cell phones that our DD & Hubby carry, and the 12000 unit is for the Droid 4 Smart phones that Momma and I carry.
I expect to see dozens people milling around the WDW phone chargers like expectant fathers waiting outside the Delivery Room. ;)

PhotoDave219

You would have to think that Disney is thinking about this. I would not be surprised if a question about charging multiple phones per locker is in the guest feedback surveys.

After watching the video & reading through the FAQ, i'm not sure thats possible with the current product.

However this company looks like its willing to listen to feedback... and if a customer is asking for 4000-5000 2 phone charging lockers, well then... I'd be paying attention.

PhotoDave219

This^^^^^^^^^^
I have a 3000mAh and a 12000mAh Anker. The 3000 Mini unit is for the standard cell phones that our DD & Hubby carry, and the 12000 unit is for the Droid 4 Smart phones that Momma and I carry.
I expect to see dozens people milling around the WDW phone chargers like expectant fathers waiting outside the Delivery Room. ;)

Maybe for a chance to get their phone charged, yes. Seems simple tho. Drop phone off. Get lunch. Go do a ride - TTA or Buzz - pick phone up, go on about my business.

Its locked, its secure and no one can get my phone but me. I'm digging it without testing it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
After watching the video & reading through the FAQ, i'm not sure thats possible with the current product.

However this company looks like its willing to listen to feedback... and if a customer is asking for 4000-5000 2 phone charging lockers, well then... I'd be paying attention.
Exactly. It would not take much for Disney to get around whatever patents they might have and make their own phone lockers if they will not play ball.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom