Magic Kingdom to test earlier closing on Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party event nights

21stamps

This in a nutshell is what enables Disney to get away with abominations like the mess tent over at CBR at the same time whacking the people who registered without notice of the construction at full boat.

Disney fans give Disney a break that they would not for Hilton/Marriot/Choice hotel chains.

I decided a long time ago to hold Disney to the same standard i hold any mega corporation to.

If MORE of us did this and demanded compensation for last minute stunts like CBR. I anticipate that Disney would. be a lot better behaved towards the resort guest.

If I was going to Key West tomorrow, to the only resort I stay at while there, and received notification that one of the restaurants was closed or there would be a few areas of construction within the resort- with no discount- I would still go, and I have done exactly that. Because I love the resort.
It's not just a Disney thing.

21stamps

This in a nutshell is what enables Disney to get away with abominations like the mess tent over at CBR at the same time whacking the people who registered without notice of the construction at full boat.

Disney fans give Disney a break that they would not for Hilton/Marriot/Choice hotel chains.

I decided a long time ago to hold Disney to the same standard i hold any mega corporation to.

If MORE of us did this and demanded compensation for last minute stunts like CBR. I anticipate that Disney would. be a lot better behaved towards the resort guest.

I honestly feel like people hold Disney to some impossible expectations.

Yes, Hilton/Waldorf, Marriott, Choice, Atlantis (pre Marriott days), Beeches, Sandals.. at some point during someone's vacation there WILL be construction. It's not possible to do otherwise, they can't shut down an entire resort. Why people get angry when Disney does it is beyond me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If I was going to Key West tomorrow, to the only resort I stay at while there, and received notification that one of the restaurants was closed or there would be a few areas of construction within the resort- with no discount- I would still go, and I have done exactly that. Because I love the resort.
It's not just a Disney thing.

You might and thats your choice but many others perhaps most would not do the same

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I honestly feel like people hold Disney to some impossible expectations.

Yes, Hilton/Waldorf, Marriott, Choice, Atlantis (pre Marriott days), Beeches, Sandals.. at some point during someone's vacation there WILL be construction. It's not possible to do otherwise, they can't shut down an entire resort. Why people get angry when Disney does it is beyond me.

Because all the all the hotel chains you mention INFORM their guests of upcoming construction often as much as 2 years in advance and they tend to offer lower rates or add perks during the construction process.

Disney OTOH tends to spring construction on guests without notice and charges full price to boot.

That's why people get upset at Disney

21stamps

Because all the all the hotel chains you mention INFORM their guests of upcoming construction often as much as 2 years in advance and they tend to offer lower rates or add perks during the construction process.

Disney OTOH tends to spring construction on guests without notice and charges full price to boot.

That's why people get upset at Disney

I can tell you that neither Atlantis, Boca Raton Resort, or the Casa Marina offered any compensation for construction during my stay.
As far as I know, Disney gives advance notice.

21stamps

You might and thats your choice but many others perhaps most would not do the same

Right. That's exactly my point. People have a choice. They have a choice of where to go, when to go, and where to stay when they do go.
You weigh the pros and cons.. if there is a "con".. maybe it's construction, or a holiday party, you look at the overall Options, and what's important to you, and make decisions from there.
Regardless of if it is a Disney trip or not. Disney World is still the real world.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can tell you that neither Atlantis, Boca Raton Resort, or the Casa Marina offered any compensation for construction during my stay.
As far as I know, Disney gives advance notice.

I travel for business and Hilton / Marriott usually reduce rate or throw in a meal when the hotel is under construction

Now that may be because im hilton diamond / marriot gold And they value my business and dont want me staying at a competitor

21stamps

I travel for business and Hilton / Marriott usually reduce rate or throw in a meal when the hotel is under construction

Now that may be because im hilton diamond / marriot gold And they value my business and dont want me staying at a competitor

That's lucky. I stay with a Hilton brand as often as possible because of my HHonors points...they've never given me a discount or perk outside of what my level gets me.

But to compare your situation to Disney, you receive something out of the ordinary from Hilton or Marriott..not what most people would be receiving..so it's really no different

JoeCamel

I know you understand, I just think there's value in framing things carefully with the way some people who don't understand tend to jump off cliffs. I think this particular decision will be perceived by some people as some kind of "cut," but I think it would be more accurately described as closing a loophole.
It is a change from WDW doing everything they can to make a visit a little special (towel figures anyone?) to being strictly a bizzzznneeesss. Take the magic out of it. I know you were not entitled but they set up the system and for 3 - 4 years/seasons that was the way it was. Now it isn't. This will fade but so will the rep of a company that appreciated the money people chose to spend there.

CaptainAmerica

It is a change from WDW doing everything they can to make a visit a little special (towel figures anyone?) to being strictly a bizzzznneeesss. Take the magic out of it. I know you were not entitled but they set up the system and for 3 - 4 years/seasons that was the way it was. Now it isn't. This will fade but so will the rep of a company that appreciated the money people chose to spend there.
Nope. You're wrong. Disney NEVER intended to let party guests have access to FP+ before party time. It was a loophole in the way the My Disney Experience system recognized admission privileges and they've closed that loophole. It was never "designed" that way to be "magical."

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That's lucky. I stay with a Hilton brand as often as possible because of my HHonors points...they've never given me a discount or perk outside of what my level gets me.

But to compare your situation to Disney, you receive something out of the ordinary from Hilton or Marriott..not what most people would be receiving..so it's really no different
Maybe it's just you, because I've received discounted rooms at Embassy Suites that were (a) working on their lobbies, (b) infested with ants, and (c) renovating sections of rooms.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The more Disney operates like a 'soulless corporation' only interested in short term profit boosts. The more likely Disney is to alienate guests who will realize that Disney is only interested in separating them from their money. Disney really is shooting for the one and done guest because the experience they give does not matter once Disney has their money.

Contrast this to hotels who cater to business travelers those hotels want your business for next week as well

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe it's just you, because I've received discounted rooms at Embassy Suites that were (a) working on their lobbies, (b) infested with ants, and (c) renovating sections of rooms.

Same here at Hilton ive gotten discounts at Hampton Inns that had construction going on. Ive received compensation without even ASKING at just about everything in the Hilton portfolio because of issues at the hotel that day.

wdwfan100

People crack me up.
Here's what I've learned in this thread-
  • 9 hours is a "half day".
  • Free will doesn't exist.
  • Disney is responsible for your travel date availability.
  • The poor day guests (who most likely majority have multi day tickets) should be able to get in line up until 1 minute before the park is supposed to be reserved for party guests, who paid @ $100 per person to attend an advertised event. Because the poor "Day guest's" time and money is more important.
  • The fact that a good amount of party attendees also have multi day tickets and are probably a 'day guest' on another day- is completely ignored.
  • Lastly I learned- Tickets cost money, so in order to get the maximum value for your dollar you must be in the park 12-14 hours per day. Anything less should be compensated for, by Disney.
I'm apparently doing WDW trips completely wrong.

Interesting take. I assume you take the term "half day" literally to try in invalidate the point that the park is closing much earlier than it normally would. Just to clarify. My issue is not with Disney choosing to have an upcharge event in the evenings. My issue is the denial of acces for paid "day guests" earlier than the posted hours of operation. It was a reaction to an earlier post that stated that the park would close at 7:00 pm while guests would be denied access to attractions at 6:00 pm. I dare say if an individual paid for the evening upcharge event and were told at 11:00pm that the rides were no longer available, that everyone would agree that is wrong. The rides are open until the posted closing time of the park. Why can't someone get on that ride? Why does it matter if it's an hour before close or a minute before close? The upcharge event is already receiving an accommodation for crowd sizes. They can come as early as 4:00pm. Is it not the exercise of their free will if they choose not to take advantage of that and as a result have to deal with thicker crowds? The day guest in contrast is having their access reduced without accommodation. I never said the day guest time and money was more important. Instead they are equally important, or should be. I my opinion whether not someone is day guest in any particular day or has a multi day ticket or paid $100 for the upcharge event is irrelevant. Both purchased tickets with the same reasonable expectation. It appears that only one is having their options reduced. As to the hours spent in a park and it's approximate value. I suspect that is a highly individual determination

21stamps

Yeah those sound reasonable, and I would expected to be compensated if my room was infested with ants.
No, in my experience if a certain area of the resort is closed/being renovated.. I have not received a discount.
Same here at Hilton ive gotten discounts at Hampton Inns that had construction going on. Ive received compensation without even ASKING at just about everything in the Hilton portfolio because of issues at the hotel that day.

If hasn't been my experience to be compensated every time there could be a hint of construction or room renovations.. the majority of time they are completely out of sight and have 0 impact on me. I don't call those "issues".

21stamps

Interesting take. I assume you take the term "half day" literally to try in invalidate the point that the park is closing much earlier than it normally would. Just to clarify. My issue is not with Disney choosing to have an upcharge event in the evenings. My issue is the denial of acces for paid "day guests" earlier than the posted hours of operation. It was a reaction to an earlier post that stated that the park would close at 7:00 pm while guests would be denied access to attractions at 6:00 pm. I dare say if an individual paid for the evening upcharge event and were told at 11:00pm that the rides were no longer available, that everyone would agree that is wrong. The rides are open until the posted closing time of the park. Why can't someone get on that ride? Why does it matter if it's an hour before close or a minute before close? The upcharge event is already receiving an accommodation for crowd sizes. They can come as early as 4:00pm. Is it not the exercise of their free will if they choose not to take advantage of that and as a result have to deal with thicker crowds? The day guest in contrast is having their access reduced without accommodation. I never said the day guest time and money was more important. Instead they are equally important, or should be. I my opinion whether not someone is day guest in any particular day or has a multi day ticket or paid $100 for the upcharge event is irrelevant. Both purchased tickets with the same reasonable expectation. It appears that only one is having their options reduced. As to the hours spent in a park and it's approximate value. I suspect that is a highly individual determination

Yes, the reasonable expectation would be for people who do not have party tickets to leave before a party starts.. this gives them an extra hour to do so. So, they can go to MK on a party day, finish rides by 6, or wait til the next day when there is not a party.
That's their reasonable decision to make. No one's being shorted, it's advertised well in advance.

wdwfan100

Yes, the reasonable expectation would be for people who do not have party tickets to leave before a party starts.. this gives them an extra hour to do so. So, they can go to MK on a party day, finish rides by 6, or wait til the next day when there is not a party.
That's their reasonable decision to make. No one's being shorted, it's advertised well in advance.

I took the time to check park hours for the party nights. They state that the park closing is in fact 6:00pm. Since that is the case than I would agree that people have the necessary information to make a decision on whether or not to go to the Magic Kingdom on party days. Had the posted hours been 7:00pm and the rides closed at 6:00pm I would not believe that to be the case. The focus of my opposition to this development was the misunderstanding that, the park remained open to day guests until 7:00pm, they would not be allowed to ride any rides after 6:00pm. No sense in debating hypotheticals at this point.

EOD K9

:greedy: I dislike it when upcharge events take away from day guests. This just makes it worse.

This one is fixable though, if Disney chooses to. Just make it so that anybody using a one-day MK ticket or non-hopper multi-day ticket can head to another park after 6. I don't think they'll do it, but they should. That way, they can get their extra money from the party without screwing the day guest at all.
I agree, I just got back from a 5 night cruise and spent one day at MK when we got off the boat. I would have hated to have spent the max price and only left at 6pm.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I took the time to check park hours for the party nights. They state that the park closing is in fact 6:00pm. Since that is the case than I would agree that people have the necessary information to make a decision on whether or not to go to the Magic Kingdom on party days. Had the posted hours been 7:00pm and the rides closed at 6:00pm I would not believe that to be the case. The focus of my opposition to this development was the misunderstanding that, the park remained open to day guests until 7:00pm, they would not be allowed to ride any rides after 6:00pm. No sense in debating hypotheticals at this point.
Correct, hypotheticals don't matter, but here's the rub -- lots of folks schedule their visits 6 months to 18 months in advance, with reasonable expectation of having "regular" access to the MK. This hour lop-off was first noticed about a month ago, which is what, 7 months out and well within a 12-month window, when many will have already made up their touring schedules fully expecting to be able to hit the MK from 9 am to 7 pm as was customary prior to this "experiment." They're just SOL according to Disney (and several commenting on this thread).

I don't think it's fair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom