Magic Kingdom to test earlier closing on Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party event nights

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nah, you paid for 5 hours, not 8. The day guest attending on a party day will now only get 9 hours (9 to 6) instead of the 12 she'd get on a non-party day, yet she's not getting a discount for losing those 3 hours... yeah it's her choice, but it's not fair that the party people get 3 free hours while her hours are being cut without compensation.

Perhaps if during party days the MK was at BRONZE pricing instead of GOLD pricing ....

21stamps

People crack me up.
Here's what I've learned in this thread-
  • 9 hours is a "half day".
  • Free will doesn't exist.
  • Disney is responsible for your travel date availability.
  • The poor day guests (who most likely majority have multi day tickets) should be able to get in line up until 1 minute before the park is supposed to be reserved for party guests, who paid @ $100 per person to attend an advertised event. Because the poor "Day guest's" time and money is more important.
  • The fact that a good amount of party attendees also have multi day tickets and are probably a 'day guest' on another day- is completely ignored.
  • Lastly I learned- Tickets cost money, so in order to get the maximum value for your dollar you must be in the park 12-14 hours per day. Anything less should be compensated for, by Disney.
I'm apparently doing WDW trips completely wrong.

Cousin Huet

4pm to 7pm is still going to be a mad house in there and especially toward the front of the park. I do think this will definitely help in making sure that 7pm on is truly the smaller amount of guests expected at the special event. Even if you let them get in line all the way until 6pm then they should be more cleared out by 7pm with I'm sure a few trying to milk every second in the stores up front (we avoid that whole area until we watch parade and fireworks). This will probably work out pretty well though and give us a true improvement to thinning out the party earlier. Also, I don't think this last hour really affects those that smartly start their day at MK on party days for the smaller crowds and then move to another park for the evening.......intelligent plan would see an early day at MK to enjoy the smaller crowds and then take a break around 2-3pm time to either go eat somewhere else or nap before heading to another park to to end the night. Despite seeing only a few attractions at each park our most recent one day quick stop where we did all four parks in one day was some of the most fun we've had in Orlando recently.

21stamps

4pm to 7pm is still going to be a mad house in there and especially toward the front of the park. I do think this will definitely help in making sure that 7pm on is truly the smaller amount of guests expected at the special event. Even if you let them get in line all the way until 6pm then they should be more cleared out by 7pm with I'm sure a few trying to milk every second in the stores up front (we avoid that whole area until we watch parade and fireworks). This will probably work out pretty well though and give us a true improvement to thinning out the party earlier. Also, I don't think this last hour really affects those that smartly start their day at MK on party days for the smaller crowds and then move to another park for the evening.......intelligent plan would see an early day at MK to enjoy the smaller crowds and then take a break around 2-3pm time to either go eat somewhere else or nap before heading to another park to to end the night. Despite seeing only a few attractions at each park our most recent one day quick stop where we did all four parks in one day was some of the most fun we've had in Orlando recently.

Or what we did on our MK day when not attending MVMCP- left the park @ 5pm, went back to the resort, dressed, went to dinner, went to have drinks and desserts after, and hung out at the resort.

I realize that there are some people who want to be in a theme park from open to close everyday, but not all of us are like that. So between the people 'like me', and the people who enjoy hopping.. I think the majority of day guests will be just fine.

The_Jobu

Or what we did- after the park we went back to the resort, dressed, went to dinner, went to have drinks and desserts after, and hung out at the resort.

I realize that there are some people who want to be in a theme park from open to close everyday, but not all of us are like that. So between the people 'like me', and the people who enjoy hopping.. I think the majority of day guests will be just fine.

That's you, others are different.

It's their own fault for booking but they are still getting less for their tickets.

21stamps

Lol. Ok. I'll update then.. "intentionally ignored the rest of my comment".

So here's a question that I asked in another thread.. let's use my week last year for example-
Resort prices are higher than some other times of year, and discounts were few and far between, but park hours are shorter, with or without a party.
So then by your logic, everyone going during those weeks is "getting less". Even though everyone there chose to go those weeks- knowing resort pricing, lack of discounts, and party dates.

The_Jobu

Lol. Ok. I'll update then.. "intentionally ignored the rest of my comment".

So here's a question that I asked in another thread.. let's use my week last year for example-
Resort prices are higher than some other times of year, and discounts were few and far between, but park hours are shorter, with or without a party.
So then by your logic, everyone going during those weeks is "getting less". Even though everyone there chose to go those weeks- knowing resort pricing, lack of discounts, and party dates.

Once again:

People are free to book whatever they want, it's their own fault if they do.

21stamps

Yes we agree. They pay more for less, but that's their choice.

I could be totally wrong on this, but I think that a lot of people during those dates are going because of the following,
Holiday Decorations.
Holiday Events.
Holiday Disney Experience.

So in your mind they're paying for less, but many people probably feel like they're paying for an overall different experience...and how many rides they can cram into 12 hours isn't their main motivation for booking the trip.

The_Jobu

and how many rides they can cram into 12 hours isn't their main motivation for booking the trip

And many people only get to WDW once in their life and want to spend as much time as they can in the parks for their ticket price. Different strokes for different folks. Can't assume one or the other.

21stamps

And many people only get to WDW once in their life and want to spend as much time as they can in the parks for their ticket price. Different strokes for different folks. Can't assume one or the other.

Luckily for those people, there's 365 days in a year, and not all of them have holiday parties at MK. :)

21stamps

Exactly, it's their own fault if they go during that time. Well said.

Hopefully nothing I said sounded rude, I think people weigh what works best for them.
Yes, I compare it to myself because I know what I do, but I do recognize that not everyone vacations the same way. I just think mountains out of molehills are constantly made here.. in defense of some phantom poor innocent guest... Because some people expect anything less than their idea of "perfect" to be compensated for.

2 years ago my Labor Day trip, Poly only had one pool.
Last year, GF- Gasparilla's was closed..Mizner's, one of my favorite lounges in WDW, was a makeshift quick service location, so basically Mizner's was non existent as well.
Then Wilderness Lodge..my balcony overlooked a construction area, and only one pool open.

I knew about each construction issue before I departed for our trips. I didn't receive compensation for them, nor did I expect to. A good amount of the nights were full price, I chose to pay for that.
Do I realize that people will go/have gone to those same places, with a lower nightly rate, and not deal with closures/construction? Yep, and I don't care.
I made choices based on what I wanted, and I didn't feel ripped off.. if I did, then I would have switched resorts and saved a bunch of money.
It's just pointless to complain about something that you willingly choose to do.
People here may feel some are "getting less", but that doesn't mean the thousands of people traveling to WDW during that time feel the same as 'you' (general).

The_Jobu

Hopefully nothing I said sounded rude,

You said nothing rude, and we are in agreement that people are free to make their own choices. If someone had an AP or a multi-day and they visit WDW often, then it's no issue for them. For others, it's not the best bang for their buck.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hopefully nothing I said sounded rude, I think people weigh what works best for them.
Yes, I compare it to myself because I know what I do, but I do recognize that not everyone vacations the same way. I just think mountains out of molehills are constantly made here.. in defense of some phantom poor innocent guest... Because some people expect anything less than their idea of "perfect" to be compensated for.

2 years ago my Labor Day trip, Poly only had one pool.
Last year, GF- Gasparilla's was closed..Mizner's, one of my favorite lounges in WDW, was a makeshift quick service location, so basically Mizner's was non existent as well.
Then Wilderness Lodge..my balcony overlooked a construction area, and only one pool open.

I knew about each construction issue before I departed for our trips. I didn't receive compensation for them, nor did I expect to. A good amount of the nights were full price, I chose to pay for that.
Do I realize that people will go/have gone to those same places, with a lower nightly rate, and not deal with closures/construction? Yep, and I don't care.
I made choices based on what I wanted, and I didn't feel ripped off.. if I did, then I would have switched resorts and saved a bunch of money.
It's just pointless to complain about something that you willingly choose to do.
People here may feel some are "getting less", but that doesn't mean the thousands of people traveling to WDW during that time feel the same as 'you' (general).

This in a nutshell is what enables Disney to get away with abominations like the mess tent over at CBR at the same time whacking the people who registered without notice of the construction at full boat.

Disney fans give Disney a break that they would not for Hilton/Marriot/Choice hotel chains.

I decided a long time ago to hold Disney to the same standard i hold any mega corporation to.

If MORE of us did this and demanded compensation for last minute stunts like CBR. I anticipate that Disney would. be a lot better behaved towards the resort guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom