Magic Kingdom ranks as 2nd most favorite amusement park in the U.S. !

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OK, but compare Universal to WDW rather than individual parks, and how does that go?

You know that’s a false equivalency. You can’t rate based on $3 acre swampland who’s phase 1 and 2 was built prior to complete stock control of management.

There isn’t another WDW...by design...but it’s hard to make the case that universal/Comcast hasn’t been at least as effective the last 12 or so years...they’ve made greater strides than Disney...from a much lower starting point.

geekza

I can see how IOA could be attractive to a particular demographic. I used to adore thrill rides and coasters. There was a time I really wanted to go to Universal, but by the time I found myself financially able to do so, I was well into my middle age, overweight, and with a bad back. At this point, the only thing I'd really be going to Universal to see is Potter-Land and I wouldn't even be able to ride one of the signature rides there. WDW still offers more than enough for every age group and physical ability that it's a worthwhile trip for me. Thrill-based parks are off the table for me now. I know, that's my problem, but my point is that WDW is still a park for everyone, while Universal is definitely geared toward older kids to folks in their 30's. Nothing wrong with that. It is obviously catering to that group very well.

JohnyKaz2078

IoA is the most dated of the two, and I feel that's down to the Lost Continent not receiving any changes, Seuss landing being a plastic wasteland, and Superhero Island being a 'cardboard catastrophe,' not to mention the cartoon portion of the park being an example of IPs that do not age well.

There's solid rumors of them building a third park in the near future, but they really need to re-invest in IoA with literally anything that isn't in the Jurrasic Park / Harry Potter portion of the park.

That's true. There are many rides that just don't age well.

Seuss Landing is a decent kiddie land but I think very few kids these days have any knowledge of Dr. Seuss. In all fairness I think that Seuss Landing needs to go away and make something new for children in the park. I would suggest something from Dreamworks but I have heard some rumors that it was going to be in the "3rd park" in USO that is still development.

I'm ok with the Lost Continent but it really feels miniscule after the opening of Hogsmeade. I would prefer to see an expansion to either Jurassic Park or Harry Potter than the Lost Continent staying there.

In my opinion Superhero Island is very cartoony. But I love the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman and the Hulk Coaster. Doctor Doom is ok, not something out of the ordinary, and the Storm Force Accelator is just, there. It is not comparable to Harry Potter or Jurassic Park but the Superhero Island isn't in need of retheming as all the rides remain reasonably popular.

Speaking of Jurassic Park, I really really really want to see something from the Jurassic World in Orlando. It's good that they are already making the move in Hollywood but Orlando needs it too. The Raptor Encounter is also a solid replacement of the Triceratops Encounter.

sonoma15

Sounds about right to me, though I would put disneyland as #1, IOA as #2, and MK as #3

Though the soundtrack of IOA may make it #1 alone. :p

MinnieWaffles

Why? Because the general public have no taste in anything from music to art, the list goes on and on for me. Also, can we get some better insults around here? Calling someone a pixie dust addict is so stale

I agree, getting pretty old and showing the immaturity of the poster IMO.

twilight mitsuk

Speaking of Jurassic Park, I really really really want to see something from the Jurassic World in Orlando. It's good that they are already making the move in Hollywood but Orlando needs it too. The Raptor Encounter is also a solid replacement of the Triceratops Encounter.

I think Jurassic World will happen in Orlando

Awakening

I find that hard to believe, but to each their own.

I just don’t find anything “magical” about having to micromanage what is supposed to be a vacation; I don’t find it enjoyable to be stuck in a standby line watching hundreds of people with FP+ walk right past when the rides were never designed for it, and the lines in general would be shorter without it. Magic Kingdom used to be where it felt like the characters “lived,” and now, only the top-tier (marketable) characters are available to meet, or even see, and even then, they’re locked away in a building with a 50+ minute wait. Magic Kingdom didn’t feel magical, it felt every bit like the corporate monolith that it is and Disney seems to have quit caring enough to at least pretend to hide that the ultimate goal is to get you to spend money and create long lines they can show to their shareholders. Universal, while they obviously have the same goal, was at least fun. The crowds were dispersed, and I didn’t see anything in the Magic Kingdom that can rival the experience of Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley; it was also nice to be able to just walk around and enjoy the park without constantly having to have my face buried in my phone checking wait times. I would love to call the Magic Kingdom the best park in the country, because I love Disney, but I’m not going to let my fandom get in the way of being objective and honest about my experience.

Last edited:

BigThunderMatt

Why? Because the general public have no taste in anything from music to art, the list goes on and on for me. Also, can we get some better insults around here? Calling someone a pixie dust addict is so stale

You realize that to actual art and music aficionados that theme parks are considered the height of tacky right? You're talking about Disney World here. So drop the holier than thou snob attitude. The Florida theme parks are all starting to get on an even keel with Disney's decline in quality and increase in prices in recent years versus UO's continued expansion and acquisition of RELEVANT IPs, it's no wonder they topped this list. Yes, Star Wars is going to draw in huge crowds when it opens, but it's not going to solve Disney's underlying problems that have been festering for the last decade.

BigThunderMatt

We have to pay again for the food on our Universal day. It's money we wouldn't have spent had we stayed on Disney property that day.

Only if you had a deluxe plan or only ate 2 meals that day. Otherwise use your QS for breakfast and use your TS to double up and go to a signature on a different day. You still have one meal you would have had to pay out of pocket for if you had 3 that day so it would be a wash.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be fair, IOA only has 3 rides with more then one screen, and FJ and Spiderman are barerly screen rides. Have you ever been to IOA?

There’s many vantage points to this...

For instance: bout 75% of the magic kingdoms attraction date to 1980 or prior. Some are “classics” like haunted mansion and pirates...some are just old.

The last “big deal” added was splash in 1992. Then the dippy dipper in 2013.

I’m not saying that should be the only thing...but I guarantee to many that is a head scratcher...just like universal being “screen world” is a head scratcher to many.

And WDW is installing screen based rides too now...so in 4 years is that a monacre?

BigThunderMatt

Indeed the Universal Express passes are a rip-off, and rides like Mummy and MIB aren’t what they used to be :(

Rip off is relative. How much is your time worth? Do you only have a day? Wanna get as many rides in as possible. I'd consider that worth the expenditure. It's also pretty easy to gauge whether you need it or not just by the pricing. If it's ridiculously cheap, you don't need it, they don't plan on the park being busy. If it's as much or more than a ticket, buy it, you're gonna need it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom