Magic Kingdom ranks as 2nd most favorite amusement park in the U.S. !

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Since I don't care for any coaster faster than BTM or SDMR....even EE going backwards pushes my personal limits....and having been to Universal a few days decades ago and vowing never ever to return, even IOA doesn't tempt me to spend my time with rest of the place.
But yes I will concede if your thing is tall fast coasters without theming then ride elsewhere! I too do not enjoy being in the world when it is uber busy.....but so far that has only been one trip in my experience, and here's to hopes that when DHS is plussed enough it will take a load off the MK....like my family that has ignored it for years.....I can't say I would rather go to DHS than Universal, but would rather do MK AK or Epcot any day hands down than go elsewhere when in Florida for theme parking. :happy:

21stamps

Am I missing it, or is Epcot not in the top 25 list?

For what it's worth, our Cedar Point trip this year was much more enjoyable than our WDW trip (completely anecdotal, based on a single trip to each place).

This is why I take rankings with a grain of salt. So much depends on what you want to do at that time. In my opinion IoA is perfect for kids once they reach 52” (and adults anytime), and Cedar Point is perfect for kids once they reach 54”(and adults anytime).. that doesn’t take away from MK being perfect for kids or adults at any age or time.

They’re all different parks with different reasons to visit.

WDWTank

Universal has certainly upped their game. I get that some people here wont hear that its possible for a non-disney park to be considered the best but its down to what you like. If you're a big Harry Potter fan then without a doubt Universal has the better set of parks for you right now. The theming over there on their newer sections is fantastic. They still have the issue of over half the parks being very dated but its getting better.
They need to give TLC to their other rides

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well this fairy for one can still inhale the said dust but solidly recognizes the evil outside the bubble to be what it is....solidly NOT accepted, ignorance is NOT bliss....but escape temporarily with a whiff of pixie dust sometimes helps keep one flying level. :angelic:

Ahhhh...VERY well played/formulated 👍🏻

WDWTank

It took a lot of persuasion (read: bribery) to get my better half to go to Universal this year, after being distinctly underwhelmed last year. She will not be back again.

The problem with Universal, from a Disney goer's point of view, is that we typically take one day out of our Disney time for both Universal parks. It's just too expensive to do otherwise. Not only due to the high ticket prices but we are also losing out on the Dining Plan meal credits for that day.

This year we wasted about 3 hours in the morning waiting in line for absolutely nothing. First Spiderman broke down after waiting about 40 mins and we had to leave without riding. We walked directly from there to Forbidden Journey which we didn't get to ride for the same reason after an hour and a half waiting. From there, on the way for some food, we went to that People-Mover-esque ride because it was only a 10 min wait. Guess what, it broke down too and we left the line without riding after about 40 mins.

Around the same time period, a bunch of other rides like the Hulk were closed due to weather. There wasn't a cloud in the sky!

I know these things can happen, even at Disney. It's a big difference when we only have one day at the park though. The price just does not justify the risk for future visits. The fast-passes at Universal are insanely expensive too. It may be our bias showing through, but we just feel the whole atmosphere at Universal is one of money-grabbing first, guest experience second.

Disney is expensive too, yes, but heck do they not half put their visitors first!
Indeed the Universal Express passes are a rip-off, and rides like Mummy and MIB aren’t what they used to be :(

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Am I missing it, or is Epcot not in the top 25 list?

For what it's worth, our Cedar Point trip this year was much more enjoyable than our WDW trip (completely anecdotal, based on a single trip to each place).

Epcot is the greatest theme park ever conceived/!constructed. Epcot’s problem is that there is too much modern stupidity in entertainment...particularly in los estados unidos.

Here Endeth the lesson.

Disneysea is second.

007mickey

Very interesting takes on Universal trips. Most folks seem to treat Universal as a one day type experience, as an add on to their WDW trip. It might be a little difficult to compare the two if your Uni experience has only been a "side trip" during your WDW vacation. I realize it might not be for everyone but there's no denying it's increasing popularity for various reasons. Nobody will every take the crown away from WDW as a resort but park to park comparisons are different.

Lets Respect

Very interesting takes on Universal trips. Most folks seem to treat Universal as a one day type experience, as an add on to their WDW trip. It might be a little difficult to compare the two if your Uni experience has only been a "side trip" during your WDW vacation. I realize it might not be for everyone but there's no denying it's increasing popularity for various reasons. Nobody will every take the crown away from WDW as a resort but park to park comparisons are different.

I agree. There is a difference between making it an add-on and dedicating time to it.

I think everyone should stay at Universal for a few nights to get the feel of the entire resort before deciding whether they like it or not. I'm not a fan of the parks but I find the onsite resort experience to be better than WDW

Rodan75

I love IoA, it is like a time capsule back to the late 90's plus Harry Potter. And I could see where it could be perceived as the more enjoyable all around experience, even if I don't feel it is a full day experience for me any longer. Crowds hurt the perception of Magic Kingdom, it is hard to feel part of the 'magic' when you are out-running strollers and worn down parents.

JohnyKaz2078

The biggest advantage IoA/Universal has over Magic Kingdom is crowds. When I'm at MK, I'm constantly struggling against the flow of people, or standing in lines that are terribly long for rides that shouldn't ever have a long wait. It's such a stressful experience to be there, I pretty much skip it every time I drive to WDW.

IoA doesn't really have that issue. Sure, there's some crowds in peak areas (HP), and the big headliner attractions can get up there in wait, but it always seems to be a more relaxed experience crowd wise. Too bad their themeing is lacking in consistent quality.

That's mainly because IOA is much larger and receives half the people Magic Kingdom each year. The park is cramped and can't support 20 million people each year. There is no magic when you see hordes of tired people waiting in a 70-minute wait for Big Thunder Mountain in the scorching florida sun or when you can't move an inch in Main Street USA because a parade is running. I can't even imagine what would happen if MK was as cramped as Disneyland.

They still have the issue of over half the parks being very dated but its getting better.
How's that? I don't see anything out of date in both USO parks in 2018. Pre-planning includes almost everything that WDW has (except for Fastpass+) and many rides use the most of technology. There are certain things though that could use an update: Jurassic Park transformed to Jurassic World and some classic dark rides like the Cat in the Hat and E.T. Adventure could use a facelift (such is the case though with Snow White's Adventures and Pinocchio's Journey in DL and DLP too).

GlacierGlacier

That's mainly because IOA is much larger and receives half the people Magic Kingdom each year. The park is cramped and can't support 20 million people each year. There is no magic when you see hordes of tired people waiting in a 70-minute wait for Big Thunder Mountain in the scorching florida sun or when you can't move an inch in Main Street USA because a parade is running. I can't even imagine what would happen if MK was as cramped as Disneyland.
Very, very true. Hopefully this goes down somewhat once SWL takes some of the guests, but there needs to be more of a balance at the parks. Magic Kingdom has increased attendance while bleeding capacity for a long time - but it also has the issue where the more you add, the more people will come.

How's that? I don't see anything out of date in both USO parks in 2018. Pre-planning includes almost everything that WDW has (except for Fastpass+) and many rides use the most of technology. There are certain things though that could use an update: Jurassic Park transformed to Jurassic World and some classic dark rides like the Cat in the Hat and E.T. Adventure could use a facelift (such is the case though with Snow White's Adventures and Pinocchio's Journey in DL and DLP too).

IoA is the most dated of the two, and I feel that's down to the Lost Continent not receiving any changes, Seuss landing being a plastic wasteland, and Superhero Island being a 'cardboard catastrophe,' not to mention the cartoon portion of the park being an example of IPs that do not age well.

There's solid rumors of them building a third park in the near future, but they really need to re-invest in IoA with literally anything that isn't in the Jurrasic Park / Harry Potter portion of the park.

kong1802

I agree. There is a difference between making it an add-on and dedicating time to it.

I think everyone should stay at Universal for a few nights to get the feel of the entire resort before deciding whether they like it or not. I'm not a fan of the parks but I find the onsite resort experience to be better than WDW

We were blown away last year while staying at the Royal Pacific. I couldn't believe that for WDW mod pricing you get such a nice hotel. Uni's deluxe level, really.

Then we stayed at Cabanna Bay. For WDW value pricing you get Uni's version of a mod (which IMO, is better than a WDW mod).

Our youngest two are still a few years from being old enough to really enjoy all that Uni has to offer. But when they are, we will be spending more time over there. Parks are easier to navigate, no planning, and better dining options.

We still love WDW, but are starting to appreciate the "dark side" more and more.

raymusiccity

Original Poster
I agree with IOA being number one. Id put it down to that amazing Marvel land...

Disney mist be super jealous.....jokes
Licensing $$ from Uni to Disney has them very happy. Money coming in to their coffers without spending a dime on maintaining these off site attractions. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom