Magic Kingdom...not so magical.

drizgirl

I just found this online = In 1995 it was a small scale party and not exclusive for a special ticket, it was really not until 2002 that it became park wide with all the extras. Disney only pushed it to a large scale when they realized they were losing a lot of money to Universal. I dont think they excluded people without tickets at that time. Those people just had wrist bands & could get into special designated parts of the park. I remember going when Frozen had a special party & they just had it fenced off. But, the regular guests & passholders did not have to leave the park like they do now. When I have time I will call DWorld and ask them. Im guessing most will not know because the people that answer the phone are very young and probably dont know when it started or any of the details from the 90's. But, I have learned my lesson the hard way. We are going today and it is a none party day and we can stay in the park until 11 pm. Only 2 days this week that passholders can stay late. We are blocked after Wed for Xmas & cant go back until January.
The only Frozen party they have is the dessert party at Epcot, and that's something entirely different.

Or perhaps you are thinking of the Frozen characters doing the castle lighting in the MK, which is done every night during the holiday season, and is not part of any special event. Just part of the daily park entertainment.

My single best piece of advice to you is to consider going to the MK on a party day in spite of the earlier close. The later closing days are much busier because so many people try to avoid the earlier closing days.

Jon81uk

I just found this online = In 1995 it was a small scale party and not exclusive for a special ticket, it was really not until 2002 that it became park wide with all the extras. Disney only pushed it to a large scale when they realized they were losing a lot of money to Universal. I dont think they excluded people without tickets at that time. Those people just had wrist bands & could get into special designated parts of the park. I remember going when Frozen had a special party & they just had it fenced off. But, the regular guests & passholders did not have to leave the park like they do now. When I have time I will call DWorld and ask them. Im guessing most will not know because the people that answer the phone are very young and probably dont know when it started or any of the details from the 90's. But, I have learned my lesson the hard way. We are going today and it is a none party day and we can stay in the park until 11 pm. Only 2 days this week that passholders can stay late. We are blocked after Wed for Xmas & cant go back until January.

Frozen was released in 2013 and that is only a dessert party in Epcot (there is aslo dessert parties for the fireworks in all the other parks including Magic Kingdom) and these dessert parties are just reserved space for regular fireworks not the huge parties like for Halloween and Christmas at the Magic Kingdom.

I don't think they were offering much in the way of special Christmas entertainment back in the 90s, but the very merry Christmas party definitely existed and was a separate ticket. https://www.bestoforlando.com/artic...tory-of-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

As you've said though, the bigger problem for you is that you are used to Disneyland where they don't offer as many separate ticket events anyway. The pricing and structure of the parks in California is very different.

Disorbust

So I am beging to agree with the crowding problems at MK is self induced by Disney. My kids were there Sunday and they had one train running on BTMRR and both sides open for space but only one "section" of the ride cars running. So a 60 minute posted wait ended up a 90 minute wait. They could have double capacity on both rides.

ChrisRobin124

Frozen was released in 2013 and that is only a dessert party in Epcot (there is aslo dessert parties for the fireworks in all the other parks including Magic Kingdom) and these dessert parties are just reserved space for regular fireworks not the huge parties like for Halloween and Christmas at the Magic Kingdom.

I don't think they were offering much in the way of special Christmas entertainment back in the 90s, but the very merry Christmas party definitely existed and was a separate ticket. https://www.bestoforlando.com/artic...tory-of-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

As you've said though, the bigger problem for you is that you are used to Disneyland where they don't offer as many separate ticket events anyway. The pricing and structure of the parks in California is very different.
Actually, I joined DVC in December of 1993. I invited my in-laws and a few other family members for a trip in December 1994. I know for a fact we went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party complete with snow on Main Street. I do not recall what we paid.

Rosanne

The only Frozen party they have is the dessert party at Epcot, and that's something entirely different.

Or perhaps you are thinking of the Frozen characters doing the castle lighting in the MK, which is done every night during the holiday season, and is not part of any special event. Just part of the daily park entertainment.

My single best piece of advice to you is to consider going to the MK on a party day in spite of the earlier close. The later closing days are much busier because so many people try to avoid the earlier closing days.
The problem with that is we want to see the show on the Castle. We ride a few of the rides, but if not for the castle show we wouldnt go to MK at all.

Minnesota disney fan

So I am beging to agree with the crowding problems at MK is self induced by Disney. My kids were there Sunday and they had one train running on BTMRR and both sides open for space but only one "section" of the ride cars running. So a 60 minute posted wait ended up a 90 minute wait. They could have double capacity on both rides.
Yes, I guess if we don't like the long waits and intentional decreased capacity, we can always pay a lot extra for the parties!!! (no way, being sarcastic)

disneyflush

The long waits (the 1 hour or more varieties) for fairly mediocre older rides feel like gut punches when its hot, crowded, and you are desperate to find some thrills/experiences to justify paying so much to be there. I was really looking for magic when we visited over the summer but the long, complex pre-visit choices (fastpasses, reservations, park choices, etc) felt more like handcuffs when the kids wanted to be spontaneous. The only rides they seemed to want to ride again were Tower, FoP, Test Track and the lines were all 90 minutes or more which is just a number when you are at work weeks/months before physically being there and doesn't seem like a big deal to ride the marketing-enhanced version of the ride in your head but when you are actually there and have sweat pouring down your face and body, have kids melting down while making them stand in line for almost 2 hours, have walked 6 miles in the sauna heat already that day, and are mentally breaking down how much each minute in line is costing you then the 90 minutes starts to be cause for a massive amount of frustration.

My kids liked our resort (Boardwalk) but really disliked the theme park experience Disney provides now. I still enjoyed aspects of the trip but the crowds and lines are too much for us to go back. It was 'magical' in the same sense that Cedar Point or Universal is 'magical'. I think you can substitute 'not at home doing chores or cleaning the house or doing laundry' for 'magical' and the meaning is about the same. You are on vacation, away from home, so people are willing to pay for the break from their own reality. Myself included.

Weather_Lady

It was 'magical' in the same sense that Cedar Point or Universal is 'magical'. I think you can substitute 'not at home doing chores or cleaning the house or doing laundry' for 'magical' and the meaning is about the same. You are on vacation, away from home, so people are willing to pay for the break from their own reality. Myself included.

I totally agree. I'd actually argue that in some ways, places like Universal offer a more "magical" experience -- if you define the ability to be spontaneous as part of the magic (which for my family, it is!). Our visits in recent years to Universal (we stayed onsite at a hotel that gave us "Unlimited Express Pass" perks) and Disneyland (where you get your Fastpasses in-park, day-of, like in the olden days) were infinitely more magical than anything we've encountered at WDW over our last couple of visits, largely because we didn't have to plan anything ahead in order to enjoy ourselves. What freedom! What fun! And with the scaling back of EMH, lowered attraction capacity, advance FP+, and shorter park hours all stacking the deck against guests and requiring increasingly regimented pre-planning, WDW has deliberately removed that kind of freedom and fun from WDW vacations completely.

Last edited:

Rosanne

I dont mind the extra charges as much as I mind the lesser hours for people that choose not to attend the parties. When they deduct time off of gate hours that affects my time in the parks with my annual pass. We did go to MK & Epcot yesterday. Another new thing I learned this trip = My friend & I recently had knee surgeries and have had to use the scooters. In Sea World & Universal we were able to reserve the scooters the day before. And in Universal we were able to take the scooters from park to park. Not so with Disney. You cannot reserve. They were sold out by 10:00 am at MK. So we went over to Epcot and they had some available. The only problem was - even tho you can take the scooters on the Monorail, you had to stay within that park. So we only got a few hours use out of it before returning to MK where we finally got to see the Castle show at 9 and at 9:45. Amazing show. However the people were packed in like sardines. We wondered if they have Fire Marshalls there? In case of an emergency - like a heart attack, you would be dead by the time they got in & got you out of the crowd. If there was a fire, there would be a stampede and people would be trampled. With all the rules and regs they have at Disney Parks you would think they would have a better system. It was nice to be able to stay in the park until 11 pm. As much as I love the Castle Show, I think its easier and more comfortable to watch it for free on Youtube. (just sayin')

Rosanne

I totally agree. I'd actually argue that in some ways, places like Universal offer a more "magical" experience -- if you define the ability to be spontaneous as part of the magic (which for my family, it is!). Our visits in recent years to Universal (we stayed onsite at a hotel that gave us "Unlimited Express Pass" perks) and Disneyland (where you get your Fastpasses in-park, day-of, like in the olden days) were infinitely more magical than anything we've encountered at WDW over our last couple of visits, largely because we didn't have to plan anything ahead in order to enjoy ourselves. What freedom! What fun! And with the scaling back of EMH, lowered park capacity, advance FP+, and shorter park hours all stacking the deck against guests and requiring increasingly regimented pre-planning, WDW has deliberately removed that kind of freedom and fun from WDW vacations completely.
Agreed. And for us, being spontaneous was part of the fun. I say, bring back the paper kiosks they used to have at DWorld. At least the people had to be in the park to use them. When people get Fast Passes 30 to 60 days in advance, how many of them do you think actually get used? And how many of the people cancel them if they know they wont get used? It may be "High Tech" but it doesnt work.

MasonDuo

Agreed. And for us, being spontaneous was part of the fun. I say, bring back the paper kiosks they used to have at DWorld. At least the people had to be in the park to use them. When people get Fast Passes 30 to 60 days in advance, how many of them do you think actually get used? And how many of the people cancel them if they know they wont get used? It may be "High Tech" but it doesnt work.
Spontaneity was what made Disney magical years ago. Sometimes we would get to the bus stop and say the next bus to arrive is the park we go to....no longer can those days be had without pain of no Fast Passes preplanned 2 months in advance. Even some the A/B ticket attractions have become a hassle to experience when the Fast Pass line has bogged it down. Some of these attractions were simply not meant to be fast pass attractions - here's looking at you Space Ship Earth.
This past year we were at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and had a lot more fun - especially with a 3 year old as the rides he really enjoyed and wanted to ride again we could go on over and over with minimal to little wait. We could walk around and say, let's try that and experience with no problems. Disney has made this type of touring impossible in their parks and while we used to be frequent travelers and prior DVC owners, we just went back this past May after a 4.5 year hiatus and still didn't enjoy it that much. But I digress, I'll spend my money elsewhere and the next knucklehead in line behind me can take my spot at WDW.

Hank Hill

As a local passholder, I admit I make FP on any days I think I "maybe will go" to the park. I think it is unfair to a degree, but if I don't, I wouldn't get any. And, no, I do not always cancel them. It really makes it not fun to go when we get a chance, because we have had times we just didn't go on a single ride and left not wanting to wait for anything based on posted times and no FP availability.

The FP+ used to be better. Used to be I could hop in the car and make decent FP choices on the ride over. Now, if you wait till day of, other than a lucky draw occasionally, there are not enough choices to even make 3 sometimes. And certainly what is left is usually nothing you actually need a FP for.

I do wonder how much of that data they use to make your choices different than what someone else has?? Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart, but I am sure they track how often I don't use my FP's, or make them and not be in the park, maybe they can set it to not offer me good FP's that I may not use. I am sure there is some sort of algorithm they can use. Maybe in park guests have different choices too, since I hear about people getting 4th, to 6th FP no problem. Or maybe the FP selection is as bad for everyone and I'm looking for an excuse.

Rosanne

Spontaneity was what made Disney magical years ago. Sometimes we would get to the bus stop and say the next bus to arrive is the park we go to....no longer can those days be had without pain of no Fast Passes preplanned 2 months in advance. Even some the A/B ticket attractions have become a hassle to experience when the Fast Pass line has bogged it down. Some of these attractions were simply not meant to be fast pass attractions - here's looking at you Space Ship Earth.
This past year we were at Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and had a lot more fun - especially with a 3 year old as the rides he really enjoyed and wanted to ride again we could go on over and over with minimal to little wait. We could walk around and say, let's try that and experience with no problems. Disney has made this type of touring impossible in their parks and while we used to be frequent travelers and prior DVC owners, we just went back this past May after a 4.5 year hiatus and still didn't enjoy it that much. But I digress, I'll spend my money elsewhere and the next knucklehead in line behind me can take my spot at WDW.
Agreed. Not much fun especially for the kids. Their poor little legs waiting in line for over an hour. They are grumpy & whining and not having fun at all. Parents were holding them & many were asleep on their shoulders. We live here in FL an hour from the park. Some mornings we would wake up and it was dreary & overcast (kids in school) maybe a chance of rain & we would say "It's a Disney Day" but no more.. No fun trying to get fast passes on the same day - forget it. I cant even get them 30 days in advance.

PolynesianPrincess

Prices are up sharply for ALL guests. No need to offer something additional for certain subsets.

And the last thing guests paying full price for parties (on top of full price day tickets) need is more people attending for free.
Yeah, well, not even AP holders are getting in "for free"... they're paying (and through the nose!) for the privilege.

APs had the option to purchase a $299 MNSSHP party ticket that granted access to all the parties (except Halloween) So definitely lots of APs there taking advantage of that. We've actually found the best days to visit MK are the days parties are on. Most people don't want to do their MK day on a day there aren't fireworks so most opt for a different option that day if they don't have a park hopper. We have APs so we can always park hop to another park at 6pm when the park closes for day guests

PolynesianPrincess

As a local passholder, I admit I make FP on any days I think I "maybe will go" to the park. I think it is unfair to a degree, but if I don't, I wouldn't get any. And, no, I do not always cancel them. It really makes it not fun to go when we get a chance, because we have had times we just didn't go on a single ride and left not wanting to wait for anything based on posted times and no FP availability.

The FP+ used to be better. Used to be I could hop in the car and make decent FP choices on the ride over. Now, if you wait till day of, other than a lucky draw occasionally, there are not enough choices to even make 3 sometimes. And certainly what is left is usually nothing you actually need a FP for.

I do wonder how much of that data they use to make your choices different than what someone else has?? Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart, but I am sure they track how often I don't use my FP's, or make them and not be in the park, maybe they can set it to not offer me good FP's that I may not use. I am sure there is some sort of algorithm they can use. Maybe in park guests have different choices too, since I hear about people getting 4th, to 6th FP no problem. Or maybe the FP selection is as bad for everyone and I'm looking for an excuse.

We have gotten LOTS of great same day FPs at the parks. It's all about refreshing the app! I cannot tell you the amount of times we've wanted FPs for a certain ride and nothing comes up, nothing comes up, nothing comes up then BAM! The ride we're looking for. In September my sister and I went on RNRC, TOT, RNRC, TOT, RNRC one afternoon simply by refreshing the app until those FPs came up. We've even gotten FOP FPs too by refreshing.

RobWDW1971

We have gotten LOTS of great same day FPs at the parks. It's all about refreshing the app! I cannot tell you the amount of times we've wanted FPs for a certain ride and nothing comes up, nothing comes up, nothing comes up then BAM! The ride we're looking for. In September my sister and I went on RNRC, TOT, RNRC, TOT, RNRC one afternoon simply by refreshing the app until those FPs came up. We've even gotten FOP FPs too by refreshing.
Exactly and that is the problem - now my “relaxing vacation” day is spent staring at my phone all day feverishly refreshing the app hoping to win an attraction lottery ticket. That’s more stress than being at work.

PolynesianPrincess

Exactly and that is the problem - now my “relaxing vacation” day is spent staring at my phone all day feverishly refreshing the app hoping to win an attraction lottery ticket. That’s more stress than being at work.

I do it while we're waiting in line for whatever ride we're going on. Sometimes we just grab whatever is available but sometimes we will try for a specific ride. One refresh will give me nothing but IASW 3 hours from then, the next refresh will give me 7-8 attractions with multiple times available. The availability really differs from refresh to refresh.

NickMaio

We noticed this too. Rides running at half capacity...staff hours being cut.
Just crazy.....given the cost to get in.
No excuse........

Last edited:

Rosanne

APs had the option to purchase a $299 MNSSHP party ticket that granted access to all the parties (except Halloween) So definitely lots of APs there taking advantage of that. We've actually found the best days to visit MK are the days parties are on. Most people don't want to do their MK day on a day there aren't fireworks so most opt for a different option that day if they don't have a park hopper. We have APs so we can always park hop to another park at 6pm when the park closes for day guests
True. You can go to a different park. But, then you dont get to see the Castle show. And BTW - who gets in free? We pay all year long for our annual passes!

Rosanne

So most of your time in the park was spent on your phone getting FPs. Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom