Magic Kingdom...not so magical.

Rosanne

In the mid 1990s when I rode Body Wars in Epcot, the wait was about 2 hours before fast pass. But at least one can talk to your neighbor instead of guests glued from their face to their iPhone screen.
Yes. We have always enjoyed chatting with the people in line. But, you are right, now everyone is busy on their phones. Its so nice to be outside and enjoying the day. Cant imagine why people want to just focus on their phones. Maybe they are looking up wait times for the next ride? Last year we were watching the big Castle show & fireworks and there were two kids about 9 or 10 sitting on the ground in front of us playing games on their cells. They didnt even look up for the beautiful show. The parents may as well have stayed home and saved their money.

Ted Daggett

I went to MK yesterday with my daughter and her friend. We were staying offsite, and I purchased the park tickets so that I could make my FP+ at the 30 day mark.

We had a breakfast reservation at BeOurGuest at 8:15. We arrived at the MK entrance at 8:00. However the ticket reader at the park entrance wouldn't scan my daughter's ticket, so we had to go to customer relations and wait in huge line. Once they re-linked the purchased ticket to the card that they sent me, we were able to get to BOG at 8:30. There were EMH in the morning, so the park was crowded. BoG breakfast is amazing - the brie, poached egg and bacon on a croissant sandwich is delicious (although ridiculously expensive). We had pre-ordered our breakfast, so we were able to quickly get our food and we finished our breakfast a little before 9:00, and were able to head out into the park at regular opening time. 7dmt already had a 45 min wait at 9am, so we went to Peter Pan, which was at 35 min, and then decided to walk over to Splash Mtn. Well, Splash Mtn was "temporarily closed", so we went to BTMRR. BTMRR only had one train running, so it took us about 30 minutes to get though...

We were able to do the following during the day:
BTMRR - Only one train running
Pirates - Pirate video on the mist at beginning of ride wasn't operating
Aladdin Magic carpets
Jungle cruise (10:10 FP) - volume on Captain patrick's microphone was so quiet, could barely hear (luckily I knew all the jokes)
Splash Mountain (finally opened!) - They changed the way the fp merges with standby, which is much more favorable to standby now
Splash Mountain - was starting to rain so line was short
BTMRR (11:10 FP)
BTMRR (it started pouring rain and everyone ran for cover except for us, so waited only 5 min)
Space Mountain (12:10 FP)
People Mover
12:55 - LUNCH at Crystal Palace -- the food quality has really declined over the years, this will be my last time there.
Mickey's Philharmagic - love this, but could use some TLC. is annoying how no guests listen to "move all the way to end of aisle"
Goofy barnstormer (2:00 extra FP) - this ride is so short -- i couldn't imagine waiting in standby
Under the sea with Ariel (2:10 extra FP)
Dumbo (2:25 extra FP)
Tea Cups (2:40 Extra FP)
Buzz Light Year - they changed the way that the line feeds into the ride, and the FP line seemed so unusually long
splash Mountain (we love this ride, if it wasn't obvious)
Haunted Mansion (4:40 extra FP) - we walked into the room before the stretching room, as the stretching room door opened

There was a Christmas party that night, so when we got out of HM at 5:00 the park was packed, so we decided to leave to go to Disney Springs, although I did have an extra FP available for Winnie the Pooh ride at 5:30.

In conclusion, the park is still beautiful, if you plan ahead, and stay on top of FP opportunities you can still get a lot done during the day.
We did 18 rides, had BoG breakfast and Crystal Palace lunch, and were in the park from 8:20 - 5:00. However, it does appear that the amount of magic is declining. I also am guilty of having my head buried in my phone while I am in the queue trying to secure bonus FP...

Rosanne

I went to MK yesterday with my daughter and her friend. We were staying offsite, and I purchased the park tickets so that I could make my FP+ at the 30 day mark.

We had a breakfast reservation at BeOurGuest at 8:15. We arrived at the MK entrance at 8:00. However the ticket reader at the park entrance wouldn't scan my daughter's ticket, so we had to go to customer relations and wait in huge line. Once they re-linked the purchased ticket to the card that they sent me, we were able to get to BOG at 8:30. There were EMH in the morning, so the park was crowded. BoG breakfast is amazing - the brie, poached egg and bacon on a croissant sandwich is delicious (although ridiculously expensive). We had pre-ordered our breakfast, so we were able to quickly get our food and we finished our breakfast a little before 9:00, and were able to head out into the park at regular opening time. 7dmt already had a 45 min wait at 9am, so we went to Peter Pan, which was at 35 min, and then decided to walk over to Splash Mtn. Well, Splash Mtn was "temporarily closed", so we went to BTMRR. BTMRR only had one train running, so it took us about 30 minutes to get though...

We were able to do the following during the day:
BTMRR - Only one train running
Pirates - Pirate video on the mist at beginning of ride wasn't operating
Aladdin Magic carpets
Jungle cruise (10:10 FP) - volume on Captain patrick's microphone was so quiet, could barely hear (luckily I knew all the jokes)
Splash Mountain (finally opened!) - They changed the way the fp merges with standby, which is much more favorable to standby now
Splash Mountain - was starting to rain so line was short
BTMRR (11:10 FP)
BTMRR (it started pouring rain and everyone ran for cover except for us, so waited only 5 min)
Space Mountain (12:10 FP)
People Mover
12:55 - LUNCH at Crystal Palace -- the food quality has really declined over the years, this will be my last time there.
Mickey's Philharmagic - love this, but could use some TLC. is annoying how no guests listen to "move all the way to end of aisle"
Goofy barnstormer (2:00 extra FP) - this ride is so short -- i couldn't imagine waiting in standby
Under the sea with Ariel (2:10 extra FP)
Dumbo (2:25 extra FP)
Tea Cups (2:40 Extra FP)
Buzz Light Year - they changed the way that the line feeds into the ride, and the FP line seemed so unusually long
splash Mountain (we love this ride, if it wasn't obvious)
Haunted Mansion (4:40 extra FP) - we walked into the room before the stretching room, as the stretching room door opened

There was a Christmas party that night, so when we got out of HM at 5:00 the park was packed, so we decided to leave to go to Disney Springs, although I did have an extra FP available for Winnie the Pooh ride at 5:30.

In conclusion, the park is still beautiful, if you plan ahead, and stay on top of FP opportunities you can still get a lot done during the day.
We did 18 rides, had BoG breakfast and Crystal Palace lunch, and were in the park from 8:20 - 5:00. However, it does appear that the amount of magic is declining. I also am guilty of having my head buried in my phone while I am in the queue trying to secure bonus FP...
I guess some of the smaller kiddie rides like Dumbo, Tea Cups, Under the Sea, Goofy, Aladdin arent as busy as the bigger rides. Pirates was busted when we were there last week. In addition, park wasnt as crowded on a rainy day? Its a shame you didnt get to see the show on the Castle. I think that's the best part of MK.

Lilofan

Yes. We have always enjoyed chatting with the people in line. But, you are right, now everyone is busy on their phones. Its so nice to be outside and enjoying the day. Cant imagine why people want to just focus on their phones. Maybe they are looking up wait times for the next ride? Last year we were watching the big Castle show & fireworks and there were two kids about 9 or 10 sitting on the ground in front of us playing games on their cells. They didnt even look up for the beautiful show. The parents may as well have stayed home and saved their money.
Or some guests that I know that the best part of their expensive Disney vacation was relaxing and swimming at the hotel pool.

Rosanne

I miss talking to people in line. Wait a few years and people will be jacked into their phones through direct hookup to their brains.
I've been saying that for years. What's next? = a chip in the brain so people can carry on whole conversations without having to leave their own heads and not having to make a sound. Mutants. haha

Jon81uk

BTW - We have been going to Disney for about 50 yrs. First in Disneyland & now Disneyworld. The times have changed for faithful Disney goers. No, we never had to check for hours, our tickets got us in the gate until the park closed. I know, time marches on. Now the parks are making alot more money with Magic Hours & special parties. You cant just "up & go" to a park anymore on the spur of the moment. Now you have to go online, try and get Fast Passes (they are always all gone) and check the hours.

There have been Halloween and Christmas parties in some form since 1995. Yes the number of dates has increased since then, but they have been on the same days of the week for the last few years. I would expect anyone who visits regularly would know that fall has many many party days.

Rosanne

There have been Halloween and Christmas parties in some form since 1995. Yes the number of dates has increased since then, but they have been on the same days of the week for the last few years. I would expect anyone who visits regularly would know that fall has many many party days.
Did they charge extra for Christmas parties in 1995?

drizgirl

Anyone not wanting to deal with Christmas parties should visit Disneyland instead. They have Halloween parties, but still not Christmas ones.

Rosanne

Anyone not wanting to deal with Christmas parties should visit Disneyland instead. They have Halloween parties, but still not Christmas ones.
Since I live in FL now going to Disneyland is not an option. However, I did go there often when I lived in So CA. I was never charged extra in Disneyland for parties or special events. I have only been in FL since 2010. I was aware of special parties & knew you had to pay for them here, but I guess I was lucky to always show up on a non party day.

drizgirl

Since I live in FL now going to Disneyland is not an option. However, I did go there often when I lived in So CA. I was never charged extra in Disneyland for parties or special events. I have only been in FL since 2010. I was aware of special parties & knew you had to pay for them here, but I guess I was lucky to always show up on a non party day.
You must not visit the MK much in the months of September through December. Halloween/Christmas parties have closed the MK several nights a week as long as I can remember. It's a big piece of the planning at WDW that time of year.

Rosanne

I just found this online = In 1995 it was a small scale party and not exclusive for a special ticket, it was really not until 2002 that it became park wide with all the extras. Disney only pushed it to a large scale when they realized they were losing a lot of money to Universal. I dont think they excluded people without tickets at that time. Those people just had wrist bands & could get into special designated parts of the park. I remember going when Frozen had a special party & they just had it fenced off. But, the regular guests & passholders did not have to leave the park like they do now. When I have time I will call DWorld and ask them. Im guessing most will not know because the people that answer the phone are very young and probably dont know when it started or any of the details from the 90's. But, I have learned my lesson the hard way. We are going today and it is a none party day and we can stay in the park until 11 pm. Only 2 days this week that passholders can stay late. We are blocked after Wed for Xmas & cant go back until January.

Rosanne

BTW, Altho I am an annual passholder - I dont go often to MK. Because of the long lines & kids we usually go to Epcot, Animal K & Hollywood Studios. We have even dropped off on the Studios because they took away the studio part. Not much to see there while they were putting in Star Wars. So I guess we are not that familiar with the special events and parties at MK. We visit one of the parks about every other month. Blocked in the summer. Probably only go to MK twice a year. And those times at MK we are there to see the castle show and a few rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom