Magic Kingdom Monorails at Reduced Capacity Due to Beam Damage

Timekeeper

The thing that I'm curious about is that when it comes to transportation and safety, shouldn't operation be an all or nothing scenario? Especially when it involves the monorail, a method of transportation with an unfortunate accident that's still relatively fresh in the minds of the public? :shrug:

Pioneer Hall

There is always the thought of the Cast Members.

What I mean is if I was a Monorail Cast Member, been on Platform for the past year, never in the cab of a train, and I JUST started driving last September, I wouldn't know about the expansion joints. Say I just started in September not knowing about the expansion joints, and I get up 3 weeks ago to pull a train out for open. I'm going through the indicated stretch, and never before seeing this gap in the joints, I'd be worried. I simply think that might be the case. Maybe a NEW pilot was concerned and voiced it??

If this is indeed something that does happen in cold weather on a regular basis, then I would imagine it would be part of training. Maybe one of our monorail pilot posters will be able to shed some light on this.

The thing that I'm curious about is that when it comes to transportation and safety, shouldn't operation be an all or nothing scenario? Especially when it involves the monorail, a method of transportation with an unfortunate accident that's still relatively fresh in the minds of the public? :shrug:

Railroads are affected by heat and cold as the tracks expand and contract due to various weather conditions. If the monorail can still operate safely, albeit at a slower speed then I don't see the issue.

lazyboy97o

Then it would just be nothing. Everything has risks.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Then it would just be nothing. Everything has risks.

From a legal perspective that would be foolish for Disney.

My guess would be that before any train was allowed to come within a mile of that expansion joint, they would have had to seek the blessings of the: local building department, in-house engineer, local/state engineer, and emergency services. Not withstanding the fact that this is a mass-transit type application and probably subject to additional federal/state regulation. Also, in many many municipalities/states, Disney would have a legal obligation to report this type of incident to an appropriate party. (granted RCID is what it is). And even if they didn't do any of this, I can't believe that no one at Disney legal would insist on some form of CYA.

Polydweller

It is! If it's safe to operate you operate if it isn't you don't. It was safe to operate at slower speeds.

goofntink

Still amazes me to keep reading the same thing over and over again. Lack of maintenance,missed my dinner reservation, I pay all this money to stay at the monorail resorts....blah blah blah.

Lack of maintenance? Tell you what go take a look at a 40 year old concrete bridge or road where you live and tell me what kind of shape its in. Bet you it ain't nowhere near in as good a shape as our 40 year old monorail beam track. The rehab to the monorail system is to replace the 40 year old bus bars and electrical parts on the beam system that powers the monorails that make them run. This is because it's 40 years old,and they are getting ready for new monorails to come online,and to go for another 40 years. Sorry for the inconvienance for taking the past year out of 40 years of service to do this.

Missed your dinner reservation? I'm sorry,our fault for letting you think you can catch the monorail or the bus 5-10 minutes before your reservation. Then making you late because we didn't get there in time to pick you up and get you to there from all the way across the other side of property. Next time try reading your reservation info and read the paragraph which states recommended you arrive 45 minutes-1 hour before your reservation. So here let me help. Ex: Buses arrive every 20-25 minutes,just missed MK bus at AKL,going to CONT,ride time 23 minutes,arrive 45 minutes before dinner= 93 minutes total or basically 1 1/2 hours for travel time and check in before dinner. Leaving 5-10 minutes before= You made yourself late not us!!!!

I paid all this money to stay at the monorail resorts. Well being your a member of this site and read these threads, you are and were well aware of the refurb so either expect to possibly have a delay, or.... Are you sitting???? Good... CHOOSE A NON MONORAIL RESORT! And make sure to give yourself the neccesary time to get where you need to go!!!!! Oh by the way it doesn't empress us in the least when you "brag" you are staying at a monorail resort. To be honest castmembers laugh and think "So What,Good for you!" and "What a Moron", when we hear you tell us you are spending all that money just to sleep and rest up for the next day at the parks? The mattress you sleep on at the Cont is the same one they use at POP!!! LOLOL

To sum it all up in one word... WWWAAHHHHH!:cry:

DonaldDoleWhip

Still amazes me to keep reading the same thing over and over again. Lack of maintenance,missed my dinner reservation, I pay all this money to stay at the monorail resorts....blah blah blah.

Lack of maintenance? Tell you what go take a look at a 40 year old concrete bridge or road where you live and tell me what kind of shape its in. Bet you it ain't nowhere near in as good a shape as our 40 year old monorail beam track. The rehab to the monorail system is to replace the 40 year old bus bars and electrical parts on the beam system that powers the monorails that make them run. This is because it's 40 years old,and they are getting ready for new monorails to come online,and to go for another 40 years. Sorry for the inconvienance for taking the past year out of 40 years of service to do this.

Missed your dinner reservation? I'm sorry,our fault for letting you think you can catch the monorail or the bus 5-10 minutes before your reservation. Then making you late because we didn't get there in time to pick you up and get you to there from all the way across the other side of property. Next time try reading your reservation info and read the paragraph which states recommended you arrive 45 minutes-1 hour before your reservation. So here let me help. Ex: Buses arrive every 20-25 minutes,just missed MK bus at AKL,going to CONT,ride time 23 minutes,arrive 45 minutes before dinner= 93 minutes total or basically 1 1/2 hours for travel time and check in before dinner. Leaving 5-10 minutes before= You made yourself late not us!!!!

I paid all this money to stay at the monorail resorts. Well being your a member of this site and read these threads, you are and were well aware of the refurb so either expect to possibly have a delay, or.... Are you sitting???? Good... CHOOSE A NON MONORAIL RESORT! And make sure to give yourself the neccesary time to get where you need to go!!!!! Oh by the way it doesn't empress us in the least when you "brag" you are staying at a monorail resort. To be honest castmembers laugh and think "So What,Good for you!" and "What a Moron", when we hear you tell us you are spending all that money just to sleep and rest up for the next day at the parks? The mattress you sleep on at the Cont is the same one they use at POP!!! LOLOL

I'm sure Disney would be very proud of how you're representing their customer-friendly, supposedly-'premium' brand. Now take your pills and go to bed. :ROFLOL:

Tom

Beta Return

Oh....my....God. What is your major malfunction?

I'm sure Disney would be very proud of how you're representing their customer-friendly, supposedly-'premium' brand. Now take your pills and go to bed. :ROFLOL:

Exactly! A fine example of a Cast Member right there. Uncle Walt is beaming with pride.

nace888

If this has happened more than just this once, and the trains (running on 30 years old if I'm correct) are STILL alive and running, then what's the problem?

I think after the trains get their much needed refurb, they could last for another 10 years!! I simply see it this way. If you're paying for a M-Rail Resort, all you're doing is paying not only the pilots who drive you, but you're paying for an advantage of 15 minutes into the park? Nothing major!

The beams are fine. If everyone wants to freak out, then go to WDW, saw off the 2 peices to the expasion joint, and retrofit a new one within a day! I'd like to see you try! Sure they could do it, but that means either Resorts or Exterior will be shut down for a couple days, then they have to open the other line for resorts only! Too much trouble for something that is 1) Already resolved, and 2) probably going to get overhauled and redone when the rest does!

Okay, I'm done! :D

Deadmanwalking

Sorry to break the news to you but the beds in the Contemporary are way different than the one in the Pop... but hey if it makes you feel better to think they aren't good for you.... now if you are truly so disgusted with the customers then I might suggest you find a job somewhere else, you really don't have the right attitude for a customer service job and eventually it will really drive you to drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom