Magic Kingdom is a Movie

General Grizz

Original Poster
Thumbs up to the Magic Kingdom. As we know, Walt Disney wanted his parks to be a "show" - so with a little use of magic, the Magic Kingdom can actually be compared to a movie!

1. COMING ATTRACTIONS
Attraction posters under Main Street Station, anyone? :)

2. RED CARPET
Actually, this color of the Main Street road was selected after Kodak did visual tests to find the safest visual road for guests (meaning, they wouldn't trip off the edge of a sidewalk because the gravel on the road was a different color) - it just so happened to turn out so nicely!

3. OPENING CREDITS
That's right, the Main Street windows! You'll see the names of famous Imagineers and Walt Disney Company workers.

4. THE SHOW
"Disneyland is a show," said Walt Disney. And so is the Magic Kingdom!

5. CLOSING CREDITS
On the way back home, you'll see the closing credits. (Facing the opposite way). One of them is Walt Disney. :)

WDWspider

You forgot to mention the Musical Score and that the movie includes adventure, suspense, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy, romance, western, animation, and more.

:animwink:

tmp

....and after you see the posters in the "lobby" you are then able to buy popcorn. The popcorn stand is right there as you pass all the attraction posters.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Originally posted by spider-man
You forgot to mention the Musical Score and that the movie includes adventure, suspense, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy, romance, western, animation, and more.

:animwink:

Good one! :D I am sure there are SO many more...but that's all I could think of for the moment. :)

AdLibSean

Don't forget about the establishing, close-up, panoramic, and close-up shots found throughout the park thanks to those brilliant imagineers! :)

Katherine

Originally posted by tmp
....and after you see the posters in the "lobby" you are then able to buy popcorn. The popcorn stand is right there as you pass all the attraction posters.

Disney- the subtle details are the ones that matter! These are all really cool but I especially liked this one I had never heard it!

JLW11Hi

Here's one more...

"The Curtain". Although there is no actual "curtain" to open to unveil the park to you (this was once an idea of Walt's for Disneyland. A group of guests would be led to the tunnels where cast members would open a curtain to create a grand opening experience...but guest flow would have been greatly affected by this) the tunnels under the train station in front act as the "curtains". You can't see any of Mainstreet outside the park, except for the train station and the magic Kingdom sign (this would be the opening title, I suppose). As you move from the turnstiles to the tunnels, Main Street is gradually "unveiled" to you as you go through until finally comming into the park.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I can't remember if this has anything to do with the "movie" aspect of MK but isn't Main Street on a bit of an incline and then gets lower around the "hub" part to "push" people into the parks. The opposite effect occurs when you leave too. You walk up a slight incline just past the hub to about Casey's and then you are "pushed" down the incline on Main Street. I think this is something I heard on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Has anyone else heard this or did I make this one up in my head? :lookaroun

jiminy.cricket

Here's one more...

"The Curtain". Although there is no actual "curtain" to open to unveil the park to you (this was once an idea of Walt's for Disneyland. A group of guests would be led to the tunnels where cast members would open a curtain to create a grand opening experience...but guest flow would have been greatly affected by this) the tunnels under the train station in front act as the "curtains". You can't see any of Mainstreet outside the park, except for the train station and the magic Kingdom sign (this would be the opening title, I suppose). As you move from the turnstiles to the tunnels, Main Street is gradually "unveiled" to you as you go through until finally comming into the park.

Just to add a little to this, I heard that the train station was kind of like one huge curtain! I guess the castle could be a curtain for Fantasyland too.

jiminy.cricket

I can't remember if this has anything to do with the "movie" aspect of MK but isn't Main Street on a bit of an incline and then gets lower around the "hub" part to "push" people into the parks. The opposite effect occurs when you leave too. You walk up a slight incline just past the hub to about Casey's and then you are "pushed" down the incline on Main Street. I think this is something I heard on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Has anyone else heard this or did I make this one up in my head? :lookaroun

No, you're right; this is true! The incline kind of gives people a push at the end of the day on their way out as well. And how about the paparazzi waiting to take your pictures on Main Street? Hahaha!!!
:lol:

Kingdom WDW

More connections to the Magic Kingdom and being a movie, from The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World:

Think about the way you, as a typical Guest, approach and enter the park. From the Transportation and Ticket Center, where most Guests have left their cars, Cinderella Castle is visible. This heightens the feeling of anticipation one is already experiencing. Once you board the monorail or ferry, you know you're on your way and you get caught up with the excitement of the journey. You get periodic glimpses of the Castle, but it's not generally in plain sight. Upon arrival at the Park entrance (our lobby) the height of the Train Station serves as a visual barrier to the park. The music hear is chosen to represent all the lands of the park, orchestrated so as not to clash with the visual elements of Main Street. You pass through tunnels where your view is constricted, and it gets darker before the first reveal of Town Square. The pass-throughs are place on opposite sides of the Square, so that you can't initially see all the way down the street. Once you've had a chance to get your bearings and soak in the atmosphere of Main Street, you're funnelled toward the center of the street where the Castle is finally given away in the ultimate reveal. It's all intentional, and highly cinematic- by design, of course.

And Walt Disney was a filmmaker, just to throw that in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom