Magic Kingdom getting a mixed light parade? I trust this source?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can't have a nighttime parade immediately after fireworks since the hub's street would be packed with guests with no where to go who are then sticking around for the parade.

So, it'd have to be parade-fireworks, gap of time, then second parade closing the park.
Absolutely. Like they used to. Few years ago we were in Disneyland. DEP 840. Fireworks at 930, DEP 1045.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@mattpeto said:

With the current ops, from mid August to mid December, experiencing nighttime entertainment at Magic Kingdom is simply not ideal. The bloat to see the fireworks on non-party nights: Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays (plus EEH guests), make plenty of guests feel uncomfortable. It’s complete bedlam there.​
Adding a parade would make things even worse without changing ops considerably. And running it 2x per night sounds nice, like @marni1971 suggested, but I struggle to see how it will help with the Aug-Dec bloat. And then just offering only 3x per week makes it even worse. The party paywall to see the nighttime parade might be for the best.​
They tried the after hours offerings and people obviously prefer the traditional parties, but it comes with a cost.​

GiveMeTheMusic

Disneyland routinely runs two parade performances, two Fantasmic performances and a fireworks show on summer evenings. Looked like this in summer 2022:

8:45 MSEP (starting at small world)
9 Fantasmic
9:30 Fireworks
10:15 MSEP (starting in Town Square)
10:30 Fantasmic

Having parade performances will also reduce the crowding for the fireworks. When you only have one nighttime entertainment option, that's the one everyone tries to attend. Options spread out the crowds and allow for people to see more than one show.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they had enough in the parks to occupy the standards ticketed customers…this discussion would be moot.

There was never these parkflow issues with the minor diversions of parades and fireworks years ago…

…then this genius showed up with the stupidity of lack of investment and upsells from Intentional crowding:

1672089267073.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disneyland routinely runs two parade performances, two Fantasmic performances and a fireworks show on summer evenings. Looked like this in summer 2022:

9 Fantasmic

Having parade performances will also reduce the crowding for the fireworks. When you only have one nighttime entertainment option, that's the one everyone tries to attend. Options spread out the crowds and allow for people to see more than one show.
It’s a deeper problem in Orlando…it doesn’t translate 1:1 with Anaheim

GiveMeTheMusic

It’s a deeper problem in Orlando…it doesn’t translate 1:1 with Anaheim

It's not 1:1, but TDO/WDW folks have now spent years making excuses about why their parks are somehow different than all the others, and it's how they've ended up with the World's Worst Disney Parks Entertainment Department. MK "can't handle" a night parade (even though it easily did for decades), which is a convenient reason to never spend money on creating one. DHS guests "love" 30+ year old stage shows, a convenient reason to never spend money replacing them. WDW guests "love" waiting 60+ minutes to meet one character at a time.

MK needs more entertainment, more characters, more rides, more dining. It's an operational nightmare for no reason other than laziness/greed.

brb1006

It's not 1:1, but TDO/WDW folks have now spent years making excuses about why their parks are somehow different than all the others, and it's how they've ended up with the World's Worst Disney Parks Entertainment Department. MK "can't handle" a night parade (even though it easily did for decades), which is a convenient reason to never spend money on creating one. DHS guests "love" 30+ year old stage shows, a convenient reason to never spend money replacing them. WDW guests "love" waiting 60+ minutes to meet one character at a time.

MK needs more entertainment, more characters, more rides, more dining. It's an operational nightmare for no reason other than laziness/greed.
Glad I wasn't the only person who noticed MK's character roster getting smaller and smaller as the years pass.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Oh…I couldn’t agree with you more…

And I’ll (always) go one further: wdw customers are overwhelmingly DUMB and have invited what has now become an overpriced, underequipped mess by making excuses for the BOBS wrecking the place…all the while buying more dvc and more “exclusive event” tickets to “experience” and asking for more and more as they punch repeatedly in the face.

A lot of those those that constantly sung the praises of slimey Bob now see what has happened as it came to a head in the “chapek era”…
…Seats on that bandwagon are limited for late comers.

Last edited:

Squishy

Speaking of parades, any chance WDW will buy Dreaming Up units from Tokyo since that parade is ending next year? FoF is starting to show it's age and the 50th cavalcade is likely ending in March unless they just throw a different soundtrack over it.

WorldExplorer

Speaking of parades, any chance WDW will buy Dreaming Up units from Tokyo since that parade is ending next year? FoF is starting to show it's age and the 50th cavalcade is likely ending in March unless they just throw a different soundtrack over it.

They had a generic Mickey and friends cavalcade before the 50th cavalcade, I believe. Most likely they would just return that.

Me, personally, I would rather they stop the cavalcade and divert the people and resources somewhere else. I understand they're probably being used other places between cavalcades, but it still seems like a massive waste of resources.

WDW Pro

Talk about resurrecting a zombie thread.

Since the original post references a story I covered, here's some additional info on the subject:
The plan prior to the pandemic was to make a parade for the 50th that would incorporate floats, performances and music from a multitude of Disney parades. This was confirmed to me by a third party vendor specializing in niche areas that Disney (and others) use when designing/refurbishing floats. Enough time has passed that it no longer threatens that individual's career to give that sort of information. A second source worked on Disney's themed components like what you find in their hotels / attractions and had seen bid requests that gave away what was happening.

Ultimately the parade was cancelled due to the pandemic. Even if Disney could have gotten the floats and refurbishments in place, there were concerns that staffing issues meant it simply couldn't be brought to an acceptable show quality. It's a real shame as it could have been a great spectacle.

Have fun, I'll check back in a few months from now. ;)

brb1006

They had a generic Mickey and friends cavalcade before the 50th cavalcade, I believe. Most likely they would just return that.

Me, personally, I would rather they stop the cavalcade and divert the people and resources somewhere else. I understand they're probably being used other places between cavalcades, but it still seems like a massive waste of resources.
I remember when the cavalcade floats were originally made as part of a marketing campaign.

TTA94

Since the original post references a story I covered, here's some additional info on the subject:
The plan prior to the pandemic was to make a parade for the 50th that would incorporate floats, performances and music from a multitude of Disney parades. This was confirmed to me by a third party vendor specializing in niche areas that Disney (and others) use when designing/refurbishing floats. Enough time has passed that it no longer threatens that individual's career to give that sort of information. A second source worked on Disney's themed components like what you find in their hotels / attractions and had seen bid requests that gave away what was happening.

Ultimately the parade was cancelled due to the pandemic. Even if Disney could have gotten the floats and refurbishments in place, there were concerns that staffing issues meant it simply couldn't be brought to an acceptable show quality. It's a real shame as it could have been a great spectacle.

I mean if that all was true, or at least some type of parade was supposed to happen for the 50th but the pandemic, understandably, canceled it, Why couldn’t those plans just have been pushed off, like, for the 100th next year? No reason those plans couldn’t be dusted off now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yeah, we knew...

As i understand it, a new night parade for the 50th was planned before this year happened.

Won’t be full checks from what I am understanding, but partial checks at least. Makes me happy.

Composers of Baroque Hoedown, the repetitive electronic music of Main Street Parade.

It was partially used in Hong Kong's Paint the Night parade.

Which is the big hint here. ;)

Imagine you want make something new out of what you have sitting around. Think of it like making a recipe with the ingredients you already have.

Take a pinch of MSEP, add a dash of SM, maybe a hint of PTN, stir it all together. To spice things up though, throw in a little of the new secret ingredient number 20190353917.

At that point you will have something that is both familiar, but yet totally different.

Okay, so...

indefinitely delayed! At least that's what I think my friend meant. Not my list!

Friend isn't in entertainment, but I've heard this rumor before. It's very likely that Paint the Night will end up in Florida for October 2021. Expect the 2021 marketing to not just be about WDW's 50th, but a re-launch as a "Hey! We're open, and it's safe to come again!" Believe it or not, this plan assumes that masks will not be required by then and that Trump wins re-election. (I'm not joking)

Nothing mentioned on that. I think that new walkway is just being used to increase the value of the Grand for now.

Oh, there was a ton more. So much more. It's heartbreaking to know what it could have been. What you're seeing now is cleaning up to prepare for an indefinite hold on a project that may or may never happen.

Oh, it's definitely a real project, and definitely in World Showcase, but now that the lead actor is dead, who knows what or if this will ever be.

Yeah, that's fair enough.

I'm not really sure. Sorry, it's not my list.

Just to make it clear from when I mentioned it a few weeks back...

Coming soon to a Magic Kingdom near you:

EE4FE5ED-1FE7-4FF9-809C-8FF6036F31A8.jpeg

COVID-19 forced this. They want a marketing campaign next year and it’s a simple, relatively-cheap move. The parade is viewed as “great for a party” and will be new to most WDW guests. I would’ve preferred a new parade but am thankful for the return of a nighttime parade to MK.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Speaking of crowds in the parade days the Magic Kingdom was open 9-12, park hoppers were more affordable so you weren’t locked in for the day with a set 9-9 or 10. We’d arrive at the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon and stay to 12 so, mid day was crowded but the crowds would be spread out so to timing and park hopping. They say the price increases are do to demand, no it’s do to being stuck in one park all day in a smaller time gap. And on top of that there’s allot less attractions that arrant rides parades being one of them.

rio

9 Fantasmic

Fantasmic isn't held at the castle - it's held on Tom Sawyer Island. Unless they stopped doing Main Street focused projection shows at the MK or somehow bypassed Main Street at the MK for the parade entirely, I really do not see how they can run the parade. It's too packed.

GiveMeTheMusic

Fantasmic isn't held at the castle - it's held on Tom Sawyer Island. Unless they stopped doing Main Street focused projection shows at the MK or somehow bypassed Main Street at the MK for the parade entirely, I really do not see how they can run the parade. It's too packed.

You can remove Fantasmic from the equation; it only serves to show that DL can run multiple nighttime shows successfully. Obvious MK doesn't have Fantasmic, but they ran MSEP with Wishes from 2010-2016. People watch the parade, and then they either go do something else or they fill in for fireworks viewing after. It works just fine and helps spread out crowds.

Last edited:

Richie248

Main Street leading up to fireworks is a mess. I agree adding a nighttime parade would be a logistical nightmare. As much as I'd like to see a nighttime parade return to MK, I just don't see it happening. Can we get a nighttime parade at Hollywood Studios????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom