Magic Kingdom for about 4 hours??

Finallyin09

Okay, brand new to the site. I see a lot of experience here. Need some suggestions! Will be arriving at WDW on 10/29 to hotel about 2p.m.
It is my sons 5th bday. We want to do MK for a few hours and then a late dinner at Chef Mickeys with a cake. It is a NSSHP night at MK so, the park closes at 7. What could we really do in that few hours??? Begging for help, or any other suggestions...would another park be better?
Only been to WDW once in my lifetime, going with all first timers...
Just trying to make his bday special, even if it is a travel day!
Thanks!

CAPTAIN HOOK

On your arrival day (after a long journey ???) I would suggest unpacking, wash and change and then probably exploring your resort until your meal time. You're not going to acheive very much at MK in 4 hours and what happens if something delays your travel plans ?

Upvote 0

toystorymaniacs

How are you traveling?Chances are you are going to be pretty pooped. I agree that you should hang out enjoy your resort (maybe go to dtd) and have his b-day dinner at Chef Mickey's and get to bed early. Then you can be up to be at MK at rope drop the next morning. I really think everyone should have their first MK experience be 1st thing in the morning before it gets crowded.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

For our son's first trip to WDW (he was 5 1/2), we had driven down from Chicago all night long and arrived at the Poly at 3:30 PM. He had slept about 18 of the 22 hours so he was raring to go. My husband, brother and I were exhausted having done the actual driving. What we did was have dinner and then took a monorail ride, from the Poly to the TTC and then transferred to the Epcot monorail and did that loop. We went back to the Poly for a quick swim and then to our room where we watched the fireworks over the castle and off to bed. Up early the next morning refreshed and ready to hit the MK. Having dinner at Chef Mickey's you can do the same thing and then be ready the next morning to hit the parks.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Despite all the sensible recommendations to rest up after travelling....

I'm a firm believer in hitting the parks right away and having fun!

So, go to MK on arrival day, enjoy some kids' rides in Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Make sure to get a Birthday button for your son as you check in to your resort and have him wear it the whole trip. He'll get lots of extra attention from CMs and maybe a treat or two as well. Also check out the birthday celebrations deals they have. Best deal is to not take the free admission and instead show you've already got tickets and take one of the alternative birthday deals [gift card, birthday fastpass, etc...]. Also make sure it's noted on your resort booking and ADRs for the whole trip that he's celebrating his 5th birthday!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

peteyboy

It all depends on the people that you are with. If they can handle trip & a park. The last time we went we drove from southern lower Mich. to WDW in about 21 hours, splashed some water on our faces and hit the bus to DHS. So by the time we went to sleep I was awake about 31 hours, and enjoyed ever hour of it.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We usually arrive around 1:00, check in, unpack and head for the parks. It will depend on what kind of ticket you have. (We have annual passes) We are just so charged about finally getting there that nothing will do but to go into the parks which for us is always Epcot. We'll spend a few hours doing a few things and have a milkshake and then head out at dark to get dinner and sleep.

Upvote 0

Philo

I'm a fan of hitting the park right away but if your all first timers and not sure how to spend that 4 hours, you might be better off doing something different. I would suggest riding the monorail to The Conteporary. As it's his birthday, as a CM who is helping with boarding if you can ride up front with the driver. You migt need to wait a little while but what 5 year old wouldn't like that!

You could arrive at the conteporary a little early and hire a boat for 30mins-1hour.

Then, after dinner you get to see MK for the first time. I think this will be a much more magical feeling than seeing it, getting stressed because you only have 4 hours, leaving and then coming back.

Upvote 0

brucie

Simply because your first timers I recommend skipping MK the day you get there. Go to Chef Mickeys for your sons Birthday and head over to the MK the next day bright and early. If you don't want to hang out by the pool you could check out Downtown Disney and take him up in the balloon any 5 year old would love that and it is a much more reasonable then going to the MK for a few hours. If he's anything like most kids he will just be upset that he has to leave so early. If you were seasoned park goers it might be a different story but I would play it safe.

Upvote 0

Philo

Sorry, when posting my reply above I thought you were going to MNSSHP. As you're not then I agree that you should go to MK the next morning. If you have time after dinner then you can always do a bit of exploration. Some ideas:

Play mini golf (not sure what time these are open till)
Go to AKL and listen to the stories by the firepit
Go to Fort Wilderness and enjoy their camp fire with Chip N' Dale
Go to the Poly and watch HalloWishes from the beach
Go to Downtown Disney - visit the World of Disney and the Lego Shop

Upvote 0

marcriss

If you plan in advance you can get some stuff done in 4 hours. Go to DisneyWorld.com and have your son look at the park maps. Pick a couple of rides (like Buzz Lightyear & Pirates). Then when you go it's a very small taste and will make his birthday extra special.

Something to keep in mind:

Disney has Fastpasses. You insert your park ticket into a machine and it gives you a ticket with a time to come back and ride. This way you don't wait on crazy lines all the time. Buzz has a FP and they usually don't run out very early unless it's crazy crowded. So when you get into the park head right to Tomorrowland, grab a FP to Buzz and then head to another ride until your Buzz time comes around.

You should utilize the Fastpass as much as you can. It's much more time efficient.

The raceway usually has really long lines and no Fastpasses. Peter Pan has FP but they run out quickly and there's always a line. Dumbo always has a long line. There's a mini roller coaster in Toon Town that usually doesn't have crazy lines (Goofy's Barnstormer). Pirates doesn't have FP, but the line is usually not too bad.

There's also a new Pirate Academy in the MK. Your son can get made up like a pirate. You might want to save that for a full day...

Also, stop and get an autograph book before dinner at Chef Mickey's.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

I think WDW Special events are great for the arrival day. We have done the Halloween party twice and the Christmas party. I would take a nap and purchase a Halloween ticket. You wouldn't need a park pass. You can get in early for the party so make a ADR for 6pm. With a 5 year old, he will need a nap.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

Sorry, when posting my reply above I thought you were going to MNSSHP. As you're not then I agree that you should go to MK the next morning. If you have time after dinner then you can always do a bit of exploration. Some ideas:

Play mini golf (not sure what time these are open till)
Go to AKL and listen to the stories by the firepit
Go to Fort Wilderness and enjoy their camp fire with Chip N' Dale
Go to the Poly and watch HalloWishes from the beach
Go to Downtown Disney - visit the World of Disney and the Lego Shop
I wouldn't pay for a day ticket for 4 hours. Instead I would pay for MNSSHP and get more for my money. As I stated in the previous post, I would take a nap so not to be tired.

Upvote 0

DisneyLeo18

My family actually did this to me... for my 16th birthday :lookaroun

We actually did the whole magical gathering thing (maybe 12 of us). We arrived in WDW on my birthday and i knew we were having dinner but not where or when but was dying to go to the MK so we all went for a few hours, got on some rides, then on to Chef mickeys for birthday dinner. This was more for my little cousins than me but there was birthday cake for me lol.

Basically my suggestion take advantage of the extra time at MK and have some fun on your first day. Just take it easy and dont try to squeeze too much in.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

You could choose a few rides to begin the trip.
Make sure you go by guest services when you enter the park so that your son can receive a b-day button & maybe even a special b-day wish from a Disney character.
You could let him choose a few rides that he would like to try since it's his b-day.
Chef Mickey's is lots of fun, especially for a b-day.
:wave:

Upvote 0

durangojim

A lot of it depends on where you're staying and how you're getting there. If you are arriving at the airport at 2pm count on an additional 2 hours to get to your resort.
Depending on where you're staying, it might take you 45 minutes to get to the MK.
Is this your son's first time? If so, I'd go to MK first thing in the morning and be there before opening for the opening festivities. Maybe check out EPCOT that afternoon before Chef Mickey's, that way you can hop on the monorail and be there relatively quickly, or just hang at your resort for a while.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom