Magic Kingdom evening Extra Magic Hours attraction line-up to change next week

raven

Which maintenance dept? Or is that the way you back it up with facts? Same thing as saying I saw a custodial doing it so it must be the same all over property?

Um...RIDE maintenance, all over the property. I don't think the maintenance changing light bulbs or fixing toilets would have anything to do with it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Um...RIDE maintenance, all over the property. I don't think the maintenance changing light bulbs or fixing toilets would have anything to do with it.
So, what you are saying is...

Maintenance is not under staffed, in fact they are over staffed...but they are not allowed to fix things that need fixing...so they essentially do nothing for the entire 3rd shift? Really?!?!?

raven

So, what you are saying is...

Maintenance is not under staffed, in fact they are over staffed...but they are not allowed to fix things that need fixing...so they essentially do nothing for the entire 3rd shift? Really?!?!?

They fix what they are told to fix. It's simply a case of keeping things running in their current state. We all know that many attractions have effects that are no longer working, but sometimes they are told to leave those issues and just keep the attraction running. You don't like it, I don't like it, most guests won't like that idea either but it does happen. They have not cut back the staffing though. This makes a lot of maintenance, on every shift, bored sometimes that they take turns with the regular tests and fixes. More goes on during 3rd shift than the other shifts though. While the park is open, maintenance just hangs around until something falls apart. Like it or not, that's how the game is played.

John

They fix what they are told to fix. It's simply a case of keeping things running in their current state. We all know that many attractions have effects that are no longer working, but sometimes they are told to leave those issues and just keep the attraction running. You don't like it, I don't like it, most guests won't like that idea either but it does happen. They have not cut back the staffing though. This makes a lot of maintenance, on every shift, bored sometimes that they take turns with the regular tests and fixes. More goes on during 3rd shift than the other shifts though. While the park is open, maintenance just hangs around until something falls apart. Like it or not, that's how the game is played.

Under the current state of the parks....I have no doubt this is what happens. Funny how when Raven gives hopeful news everyone cheers.....but when the ugly truth is revealed Raven is beat up for it. Raven is uncovering the real inside workings of maintence and it isnt very Disney like. No Doom and Gloom.....just the truth.

raven

Under the current state of the parks....I have no doubt this is what happens. Funny how when Raven gives hopeful news everyone cheers.....but when the ugly truth is revealed Raven is beat up for it. Raven is uncovering the real inside workings of maintence and it isnt very Disney like. No Doom and Gloom.....just the truth.

Thank you.

Sometimes people inhale a little too much pixie dust.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thank you.

Sometimes people inhale a little too much pixie dust.

FIrstly, I want to let you know, I very much appreciate you dropping in with tidbits of insider info, that I myself would otherwise have no access to. So thanks for that.

Second, the reason I think so many are disbelieving of this is because we have been told on numerous occasions by a host of individuals with working knowledge of the parks, and as recently as the past couple days by @Alektronic that maintenance staffing is way down. For you to come here, tell us maintenance is fully staffed, but not allowed to fix broken effects is jaw dropping information. It simply does not compute. If you are correct, and the Ride Maintenance staff is more then adequately staffed, but just not being allowed to fix things, that is worse then the cost cutting staff reductions we have previously thought were going on.

raven

FIrstly, I want to let you know, I very much appreciate you dropping in with tidbits of insider info, that I myself would otherwise have no access to. So thanks for that.

Second, the reason I think so many are disbelieving of this is because we have been told on numerous occasions by a host of individuals with working knowledge of the parks, and as recently as the past couple days by @Alektronic that maintenance staffing is way down. For you to come here, tell us maintenance is fully staffed, but not allowed to fix broken effects is jaw dropping information. It simply does not compute. If you are correct, and the Ride Maintenance staff is more then adequately staffed, but just not being allowed to fix things, that is worse then the cost cutting staff reductions we have previously thought were going on.

People could be assuming that the work isn't getting done because of cuts in staffing. I can understand where they would think that but this is simply not the case. I wish I could say it was though. That would be an easier pill to swallow.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
People could be assuming that the work isn't getting done because of cuts in staffing. I can understand where they would think that but this is simply not the case. I wish I could say it was though. That would be an easier pill to swallow.

It sure would be easier to swallow, not to mention easier to correct.

Do you have any clue, why on earth, they are not being allowed to fix broken effects? I mean, if they are there, and being paid anyway, what possible reason could there be?

raven

It sure would be easier to swallow, not to mention easier to correct.

Do you have any clue, why on earth, they are not being allowed to fix broken effects? I mean, if they are there, and being paid anyway, what possible reason could there be?

I'm sorry but I do not have that answer. I really wish I did though. Those missing effects from Dinosaur drive me nuts!

Sometimes upper management (not TDO) have their reasons but are not required to share that information with people under them. This isn't just a Disney issue. It happens in a lot of companies.

alissafalco

I'm sorry but I do not have that answer. I really wish I did though. Those missing effects from Dinosaur drive me nuts!

Sometimes upper management (not TDO) have their reasons but are not required to share that information with people under them. This isn't just a Disney issue. It happens in a lot of companies.

That makes no sense...

RSoxNo1

This is far more discouraging than cuts in staffing. While I wouldn't defend cuts in staffing, I could at least understand it. This is wasteful on multiple levels.

jt04

Exactly. And per usual people almost always only see to the surface of things. Sad because it doesn't take a doctorate to figure out why these things happen. And I won't be the one spoon feeding the information to those who refuse to try. I get the sense you won't be either. The key thing to remeber is that this is not something isolated to any particular company.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not really an either or situation... raven is saying people are being told to leave effects off. We know that isn't a new phenom... but that doesn't explain the broken effects you see going on and off or being off for a week and then fixed, etc.

tomman710

Exactly. And per usual people almost always only see to the surface of things. Sad because it doesn't take a doctorate to figure out why these things happen. And I won't be the one spoon feeding the information to those who refuse to try. I get the sense you won't be either. The key thing to remeber is that this is not something isolated to any particular company.

So clearly, the best way to see past the surface is to take a step back (a thousands of miles step back) and not set foot in the parks for years and only just read stories and conjecture online written by faceless, nameless, and creditless authors.

Alektronic

Some of the things he says is true, but a lot of is not, because he doesn't know he is just guessing or assuming. Maintenance staffing is down because if you believe management is trying to reduce costs (which it is) reducing personnel is the easiest and fastest way and replacing the skilled workers with contractors and low paid helpers.

3rd shift does most of the maintenance because that is when the ride is shut down. Some attractions , 1st and 2nd shift can do maintenance on ride vehicles when they can take them off the ride and put in them in the maintenance bay. Like BTMRR, you can put trains in the roundhouse and they can be PM'ed or repaired but like Splash you can only inspect one at a time and can't do it when the ride is operating for guests.

The priority goes to Ride Maintenance, there is all kinds of paperwork and checks and double checks and legal signing off and confirming prior to the ride opening, all due to the accident on BTMRR at Disneyland. Show Maintenance takes a backseat to everything, management doesn't want to spend time or money to fix anything on the show unless they have to.

sgtmgd

I was in Frontierland Sunday night right after the start of Xtra Magic hours...headed to BTM when we saw a large crowd in line at Splash...being of the curious nature and the fact that Spalsh was still sending people over the falls..we went to see what was going on..there were 4 CMs standing behind ropes at eth SB and FP entrance..rumours were swirling that they were waiting to see if Splash would continue to run during EMH's..there were easily 2-300 people in line waiting impatiently to know what was going on..alot didnt realize that there had been changes made and Splash wasnt suppossed to be open. A CM supervisor (with pins) was tracked down by Nikki...and he told us unequivocally that Splash had been Closed since 11PM..and that it absolutly would not open again until the next morning..Im guessing a sign needs to be put up "SPALSH CLOSED" to keep confusion down until the new schedu;le takes hold

The MaD Hatter

Were the guests who were already in line allowed to ride, or did they boot everyone out when the clock struck 11? Maybe they just want to have an hour buffer to get guests through because the whole mountain turns into a pumpkin at midnight.

bunnyman

Generally, when I've seen this happen on other rides, they stop allowing people to join line at closing time (say it says 11pm), but those already on line are allowed to make it through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom