Rumor Magic Kingdom 50th Refurbishments

SteamboatJoe

Better queue?
This is interesting given the current set-up. The elevator going away would necessitate ramps, an escalator, or lowering the ride all of which impact the Lunching Pad. I guess they could just put in a bigger elevator and a better defined queue. Or keep the elevator for accessibility and add ramps.

SteamboatJoe

@marni1971 , the focus for many here is MKs 50th in '21 and all the Epcot improvements hopefully in '22 (Epcots 40th). 2023, the company's 100th anniversary, seems far out but really isn't given how long a project at Disney can take. Are you hearing any rumblings of what the company may be looking at doing for it, parks or otherwise? If so, any hints?

thequeuelinelectures

Tarzan is probably the one I am least confident in. I thought about Zootopia but just couldn't figure how it remotely fits in Adventureland. It's such a different animal, pun intended. Up makes more sense; still not a great fit but that hasn't stopped them before.

I could actually see a Lost Boys treehouse here complete with Tinkerbell nook, something pertaining to Jungle Book, or Rafiki's tree from Lion King.
I’m too lazy to go find a photo but in the movie there’s the whole jungle zone where literally everyone lives in treehouses. Seems like a good fit

FigmentJedi

I think this is probably pretty close, aside from Tarzan. Super dated IP and it’s already completely ignored at DL. I’d guess it’ll be zootopia or up or some other jungle compatible IP
Tarzan is probably the one I am least confident in. I thought about Zootopia but just couldn't figure how it remotely fits in Adventureland. It's such a different animal, pun intended. Up makes more sense; still not a great fit but that hasn't stopped them before.
Didn't stop Shanghai from having a Tarzan show for its first few years. Only reason why Disney doesn't use Tarzan as much is the royalties to the Burroughs estate and they might still be peeved about John Carter.

As far as something else goes, the Jungle Cruise movie is apparently about a search for a magic tree with healing properties. So something something retheme to a research camp established by Dwayne Johnson and I don't know, SEA, because you just know SEA is gonna be shoved into that movie somehow.

thequeuelinelectures

Didn't stop Shanghai from having a Tarzan show for its first few years. Only reason why Disney doesn't use Tarzan as much is the royalties to the Burroughs estate and they might still be peeved about John Carter.

As far as something else goes, the Jungle Cruise movie is apparently about a search for a magic tree with healing properties. So something something retheme to a research camp established by Dwayne Johnson and I don't know, SEA, because you just know SEA is gonna be shoved into that movie somehow.
From what I know, there are no SEA references in the movie sadly but let me double check

FigmentJedi

From what I know, there are no SEA references in the movie sadly but let me double check
Cast listings include vague "Society Member" background character titles, Destination D a few years ago had Chapek going on about having plans for the organization, the author of those Tales from Adventureland books was forced to make up a new organization to put Shrunken Ned and Albert Awol into because they didn't want the books to interfere with their plans for SEA (though he did have blogposts suggesting his group was an affiliate anyways).

They're definitely up to something and if Jungle Cruise is supposed to be their Pirates replacement, trying to spin it into another cinematic universe with SEA seems like a logical choice.

thequeuelinelectures

Cast listings include vague "Society Member" background character titles, Destination D a few years ago had Chapek going on about having plans for the organization, the author of those Tales from Adventureland books was forced to make up a new organization to put Shrunken Ned and Albert Awol into because they didn't want the books to interfere with their plans for SEA (though he did have blogposts suggesting his group was an affiliate anyways).

They're definitely up to something and if Jungle Cruise is supposed to be their Pirates replacement, trying to spin it into another cinematic universe with SEA seems like a logical choice.
I stand totally corrected on this. I’ve just been told there are references to it that open and close the movie

Haymarket2008

I understand that. But most other guest don't feel the way that Disney purists feel about the Jungle Cruise. They feel like they wait in line to get in an uncomfortable boat with a a "skipper" who disinterestedly mumbles through jokes they can barely understand/catch into a microphone about robot animals that seven times out of ten aren't even working/moving.
It is not scoring high on guest surveys. There is going to have to be a change.

As an Equity actor, I think it is very important to have capable performers who can actually deliver the style of the Cruise in the way it is intended. Untrained CM’s who view it simply as a “spiel” ruin the magic. That is a major reasoning behind attractions that lost their flair (Great Movie Ride, in particular). Pay us nicely/give us the opportunity in the first place and we’ll deliver.

Walrus from Paris

Hello all! New things I want to share today.

First and foremost I changed my name. Whoopee!

Secondly, add TTA, Teacups, and Astro Orbiter to the List, Tomorrowland's restroom near SM is set for improvements (a worthy mention;))

Other park news: If Figment doesn't get announced (not really a referbishment haha!), know that the timeline is unaffected. Brazil most certainly will however. PW is also on the chopping block.

Oh, and there's longterm (not greenlit) plans for the speedway, so don't expect too much there this D23.

EDIT: I see Astro Orbiter is already listed. Also, there's a good change JC's track may be altered... though I don't know if it's for the 50th or not. Depends on a number of proposals.

Last edited:

spectromagic04

Hello all! New things I want to share today.

First and foremost I changed my name. Whoopee!

Secondly, add TTA, Teacups, and Astro Orbiter to the List, Tomorrowland's restroom near SM is set for improvements (a worthy mention;))

Other park news: If Figment doesn't get announced (not really a referbishment haha!), know that the timeline is unaffected. Brazil most certainly will however. PW is also on the chopping block.

Oh, and there's longterm (not greenlit) plans for the speedway, so don't expect too much there this D23.
What’s PW?

Jones14

The ride was actually a functioning transportation service to the different areas of the park, however few guests realized that and were upset that it was not an actual ride (despite the sign stating it’s transportation purposes). There were still many things to see along the ride however including the aforementioned dragons cave, an animatronic iguanadon, geysers, etc

You can find out more about the ride and it’s elements in this video:

That was part of the problem, but the other was that it was the only ride besides Countdown to Extinction and the Safari.

It’d be like if the Magic Kingdom had opened with only Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, and the train.

roj2323

The only thing they should do with the Swiss Family Treehouse is bulldoze it. It's not really entertaining, most people have no idea of what it is anymore, it's expensive to refurbish, it's not ADA accessible, it has Zero capacity once it's dark out.

tirian

I'm not surprised the Jungle Cruise has low guest satisfaction.
Idk if that’s true, but I wouldn’t be surprised. My last few trips were narrated by CPs who either mumbled the spiel or tripped through it in broken English. It’s falling to the lows of Living with the Land/ the Great Movie Ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom