Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocabear

We don't come to Disney world to get a picture in front of a pink cake.
Hopefully you didn't go to Disney to just get a picture in front of the castle either... There is more to it than just one image...
And sometimes they have to paint buildings and things like that...I hate to think that a tarp or one closed attraction would ruin an entire trip.

Ripken10

Hopefully you didn't go to Disney to just get a picture in front of the castle either... There is more to it than just one image...
And sometimes they have to paint buildings and things like that...I hate to think that a tarp or one closed attraction would ruin an entire trip.
Fixing an attraction is one thing. Turning an icon into a pink cake. That rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way. It took 15 years for my mother to go back, and that had nothing to do with the economy (our family was a regular visitor every 3-5 years till then), and it took my convincing her to go back.

AndyS2992

People moan when Disney doesn’t do anything to mark big occasions and then moan again when they go all out, I personally love the cake castle. Imagine going to Disneyland for that once in a lifetime trip and being greeted with this :hilarious:
6F054168-0C2F-48CB-B59E-D5E419BB8A97.jpeg

Last edited:

disney1023

I fell into a Youtube hole over the weekend and made the mistake of starting to watch one of those terrible clickbait videos about Disney's Worst Theme Park Mistakes. The first thing they mentioned was the 25th Castle overlay. What made it terrible is that the guy openly admitted he hadn't been around to see it in person but that the pictures of it looked bad, so therefore it must have been the worst thing ever and people everywhere hated it. No they didn't. True, we mostly had newsgroups to gripe on back then, but I don't really recall too many folks making a stink about it. The folks who were in the MK when I was there in January of '97 seemed to really like it. I know I did. We knew it was a temporary thing and thought it was neat. I turned off the video after the first minute.
Was this the video?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I liked the "castle cake". Fun, whimsical, and celebratory (I think I've said that before). And everyone knew it was temporary. I can kind of understand people getting their panties in a bunch over it, particularly if it was a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but... I would have thought it was kind of neat to have a picture of the castle like that, knowing it would never be that way again. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

18-month celebration for the 50th or bust! ;)

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
I fell into a Youtube hole over the weekend and made the mistake of starting to watch one of those terrible clickbait videos about Disney's Worst Theme Park Mistakes. The first thing they mentioned was the 25th Castle overlay. What made it terrible is that the guy openly admitted he hadn't been around to see it in person but that the pictures of it looked bad, so therefore it must have been the worst thing ever and people everywhere hated it. No they didn't. True, we mostly had newsgroups to gripe on back then, but I don't really recall too many folks making a stink about it. The folks who were in the MK when I was there in January of '97 seemed to really like it. I know I did. We knew it was a temporary thing and thought it was neat. I turned off the video after the first minute.
I was there in person for the castle cake as a child and I loved it. Thought it was so cool! I know a lot of people here disagree, but if they did a huge overlay again I’d probably love it 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

geekza

I was there in person for the castle cake as a child and I loved it. Thought it was so cool! I know a lot of people here disagree, but if they did a huge overlay again I’d probably love it 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, I was there on my honeymoon in early 1997. While I certainly prefer the castle in its original state, I thought the Birthday Cake was really well done for a temporary overlay. It looked like what it was supposed to be, was colorful, and unique.

geekza

I hope so too!! But they have slowly been doing away with attraction parks soundtrack cds unfortunately.
Those CD's (and albums, when I was younger) were always must-buys for me if there was a new version available. I don't mind digital downloads as long as they are high-quality lossless files, but the hoarder in me would still prefer a nice CD box set with a well-written booklet. I just got the 1964 World's Fair CD set last Christmas and absolutely loved it.

yensidtlaw1969

That's not ALL you come to Disney to do, but if you can name a more quintessential moment to capture than your family on Main Street in front of the Castle . . .

Some people spend years looking forward to getting that shot with their family. A lot of people in 1996 were upset that they couldn't get it.

geekza

That's not ALL you come to Disney to do, but if you can name a more quintessential moment to capture than your family on Main Street in front of the Castle . . .

Some people spend years looking forward to getting that shot with their family. A lot of people in 1996 were upset that they couldn't get it.
I keep hearing that, but where are you getting your numbers? I'm not saying you're wrong, but without data to back it up, I remain skeptical. Disney doesn't typically release data on guest satisfaction and if it was hated as much as several folks on here (and on Disney blogs) say it was, there's no way it would have been left up for as long as it was. I have no doubt that there were those who didn't like it. There are folks who don't like any given thing if you ask enough of them. I hate Space Mountain and I know some other folks who aren't fond of it either, but I'm aware that my personal feelings on it don't match those of the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom