Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

I, of course, agree the tents need to go. I really wish we could finally get the better IASW facade.

I actually like the new colors better- but man- that's a great pic and comparison. Thanks for sharing those! Also really shows how out of place that skyway really was. Cool at the time, but glad that's gone. And look at the size of the trees in that before pic! :p

As much as I didn't want to respond to this- what's a thread without mentioning universal? :)
Couple of points-
1- universal isn't Disney. Not even close. But I am absolutely envious of their break-neck speed of attractions being added.
2- I don't understand their choices at all. They don't "add" e tickets. They "replace" e tickets. Yes, BTTF and Jaws (arguably) weren't E-Tickets anymore, but what amazing franchises. Yes, we get Harry Potter and Simpsons. Both extremely relevant- and likely timeless. But my problem with their choices of IP are the "huh" ones. Jimmy Fallon? Fast and the furious? Transformers? None of those will ever trigger the nostalgia that Disney provides. Harry Potter will. Something like Jaws, will. King Kong will too. So ya- in 10 yrs, when no one gives a rip about transformers movies or furious movies, they'll give us another E ticket. In the meantime, people will still be riding pirates, splash mountain, space mountain, BTM, Peter Pan, etc etc across the street :). Harry Potter fits that mold. Jimmy Fallon will not. That's like putting Ellen somewhere. What idiot would do that? No one will Care over time. Oh wait...
I'll give you Fallon and F&F, but Transformers is absolutely a franchise that's nostalgic for many people. Yes the Michael-EXPLODE EVERYTHING!!!-Bay movies may fall out of style in the future but luckily unlike the movies the ride doesn't suck ;)

To your other point 3 times out of 5 their E Ticket was built on new land: Forbidden Journey, Transformers (it replaced an empty building that never housed a ride), and King Kong. Let's not forget with Diagon Alley we did essentially get two rides where there used to be only one. Also when Nintendo comes I think it's obvious we'll be getting multiple rides and the only one currently in Kid Zone that could leave for it is the Woody Woodpecker coaster so there's more additions (E.T. is rumored to be getting a new entrance from the neighboring Hollywood area).

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'll give you Fallon and F&F, but Transformers is absolutely a franchise that's nostalgic for many people. Yes the Michael-EXPLODE EVERYTHING!!!-Bay movies may fall out of style in the future but luckily unlike the movies the ride doesn't suck ;)

To your other point 3 times out of 5 their E Ticket was built on new land: Forbidden Journey, Transformers (it replaced an empty building that never housed a ride), and King Kong. Let's not forget with Diagon Alley we did essentially get two rides where there used to be only one. Also when Nintendo comes I think it's obvious we'll be getting multiple rides and the only one currently in Kid Zone that could leave for it is the Woody Woodpecker coaster so there's more additions (E.T. is rumored to be getting a new entrance from the neighboring Hollywood area).

Assuming you're referring to Fallon's role in the tram tour, that's something that can be easily swapped out when he's no longer "relevant."

articos

Great news- All the other parks are really up to speed. The one that really needs the most help is MK. DHS and Epcot are fine. :banghead:

Half kidding- but with Disney springs being finished, DAK being the park it will be in 2017- and if SW and Pixar at DHS can be done by 2020-2021 as rumored- and MK getting the DL/DCA repairs/maintenance as well as a new tomorrow/frontier land (and new ride in frontier land? Although I'd assume it's just BTM getting the DLP/DL makeover- which is fine)- we could really have a phenomenal WDW in 6 yrs.
Except epcot- we've heard nothing from there :(
Well, it's the 50th anniversary of the original opening, which was MK and LBV, and MK is the most popular park, so the attention gets focused where the people are. DHS is being discussed elsewhere, and there are known/rumored plans there. As for Epcot...

Cmdr_Crimson

Be glad PTN didn't have the show stop like Hong Kong did.

However I wished they used the soundtrack that was heard for it's behind the scenes video for the "Drum" float that can be heard at 0:40 - 0:59 and again at 1:15 in the video. Because that remix of the MSEP sounded better than the final version.

I seem to like this guy's remix version of the Baroque Hoedown..

Sage of Time

We're at the point where the only "classic Fantasyland" stuff in the United States is on the Pan/IASW street. I'd leave it alone if just for the sake of leaving the style around somewhere, as a homage.

But yes, repainting it and planting some trees could do some good.
Frontierland could do with expansion, but what is there is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Along with Tomorrowland which desperately needs work done to it (which goes without saying), I do feel "old" Fantasyland could do with some work (especially thematically).

Aside from the tents which need to go, I'd love to see a return of the more muted colour scheme which would match Bavarian architecture better. Whilst some could argue the current colours work since it's based on fantasy, to me it doesn't bring you into the world like it once did:

Imgineering-Disney_THEN-AND-NOW_Fantasyland-6.jpg

There's plenty of space that could and should be used at the Magic Kingdom (including the Speedway), so hopefully Disney properly utilise it all.

IMFearless

The Baroque Hoedown is perfect as it is. It is futuristic, yet timeless, familiar and catchy, repetitive without being annoying. I can't think of a more perfect soundtrack to the electrical parade.

I would prefer a remix of SpectroMagic because it was more the beginning and end of the parade that used the main part of the tune, so it would be easy to mix in different parts to a new parade while having that as a theme.

I even think a giant float celebrating the best parts of SpectroMagic would be great as a stand alone part of a new parade. I think the dry ice effect was great, the mirror balls, but I loved the transition from all white lights to rich colour. Roll all that into a SpectroMagic float and have it as part of a new parade.

I like paint the night, it looks good, but I think something special for Disney World is good for the 50th and SpectroMagic certainly fits the bill as it was created for the Magic Kingdom.

NowInc

Not to sound too skeptical, but I find it highly unlikely that leaders would be told of any plans for the 50th, because as this post shows, they would be a risk of telling CMs who would post about it on forums. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be true, but history has shown that a good majority of the rumors coming from front line CMs really actually happen.

invader

Not to sound too skeptical, but I find it highly unlikely that leaders would be told of any plans for the 50th, because as this post shows, they would be a risk of telling CMs who would post about it on forums. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be true, but history has shown that a good majority of the rumors coming from front line CMs really actually happen.
If something like this were to actually happen, wheels would be starting to turn now. The 50th is less than half a decade away which is as long as it would take to get something like this started and finished. I wouldn't be so skeptical.

NowInc

If something like this were to actually happen, wheels would be starting to turn now. The 50th is less than half a decade away which is as long as it would take to get something like this started and finished. I wouldn't be so skeptical.

Not disagreeing that SOMETHING is in the works...but more of the fact of the details given. Something on this scale being "leaked" this early when we don't even have any definitive word on whats going on at DHS (yes, I am aware of whats been rumored there as well but the sources are from more insiders than CMs). Pretty sure whatever is being worked on is not going to be shared to a team that so easily is willing to leak it to a public forum is what I was implying :)

IMFearless

Can we be excited for a new E ticket ride for the 50th at the MK or is it to early to tell?

Yikes, I don't hope or want a 5th gate to happen until all of the parks, Blizzard and Typhoon included, are brought up to the best they can be. Building another park would inevitably cause already suffering parks (Epcot) to continue to be neglected.

Yes, in fairness I completely agree with you. It was slightly tongue in cheek to be honest.

In a perfect world all the other parks would be perfect already, and a 5th gate would be the icing on the cake for the 50th.

I wholeheartedly agree they should concentrate on their existing portfolio and really making it shine.

The whole place is one hell of an achievement when you stand back and look at it. I know we tend to focus on every tiny fault or detail but on the whole the place is an amazing accomplishment when you look at it.

I don't think we'll ever see anything else in the world quite like WDW. It's just so massive. It really shows what happens when you think really big.

mahnamahna101

Kinda sad Adventureland will be left out... :( especially since there's a solid expansion pad behind POTC/JC. I'd love to see an Agrabah mini-land alongside JttCotE back there. Anything to get the Magic Carpets out of the Adventureland marketplace!!

But I'd love to see:
New Frontierland
E-ticket for Frontierland
Country Bears update
Splash and Big Thunder overhauls/upgrades
Tom Sawyer enhancements
Reopening of Aunt Polly's
New pathway behind TSI that leads out to HM area (to get rid of the Splash/Big Thunder bottleneck)
Room left for a small-scale addition to Frontierland or Liberty Square

New Tomorrowland
CoP upgrades
PeopleMover overhaul (new narration, show scenes throughout - no more empty, dark tunnels)
Stitch replacement
Laugh Floor relocated to DHS
Laugh Floor replacement
Buzz gets SDMT/Frozen Ever After-esque AAs
Space Mountain gets drastic upgrade.overhaul
Speedway demolished to open up future Fantasyland/Tomorrowland expansion
Family dark ride between Space and CoP (Horizons-esque)
E-ticket, musical show and trackless Flying Saucers inside an extraterrestrial-centric sub-land (uses part of Speedway area and the wooded area behind it)
Space left for 2 Fantasyland additions and 1 Tomorrowland addition

Doubt that'd all happen :D:D but maybe they will go big? Who knows?

1 new (non-replacement) for each land and enhancements for everything else is all we can realistically expect. But increasing the attraction count makes it worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom