Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpAllNight

A 50th Aniversary celebration done right, and with Star Wars still fresh = absolute bedlam at Walt Disney World. Think I'll avoid that like the plague unless they add some serious capacity over the next few years. Can anyone see that happening? I guess the latest the announcements can come for things to be open on time is D23 2017.

Bocabear

A 50th Aniversary celebration done right, and with Star Wars still fresh = absolute bedlam at Walt Disney World. Think I'll avoid that like the plague unless they add some serious capacity over the next few years. Can anyone see that happening? I guess the latest the announcements can come for things to be open on time is D23 2017.
But if they wait until summer 2017 to make their first announcement, it would probably not make their 50th Anniversary....they will announce it at D23... 6 months + later they will break ground and by then it is already 2018...it would have to be a small project to be completed in under 4 years....anything of any size would take them to 2022 or 2023...

brb1006

I think all the projects that are currently in the pipeline almost completed by the 50th is going to be what they rest on...Star Wars Land probably has another 5 years of construction to completion...Toy Story Land will probably be another 4 years, Pandora probably realistically has another 2 years to go...All these projects are very close to the 50th...They will probably sit back and rest on them, add a cupcake, a parade for the Studios, a new castle show and fireworks and will spend the most of the budget on a new ad campaign .... We will not see the lavish celebration that Disneyland enjoyed for their 50th... I think those days are gone.
I just want a new electrical parade for WDW.

brb1006

We shouldn't have to wait till the 50th for new fireworks and a night parade. Wishes is 13 years old and MSEP......
Still upset about what happened to Spectromagic's float after the parade ended. I remember it was originally going to return since MSEP was supposed to be temporary or at least run for the summer but MSEP lasted longer at WDW and Spectro was left to rot and some floats got destroyed.

Cesar R M

Regardless of the timing, I think we already know most of the "big stuff" that will by e hyped as per of the 50th: Avatar, Toy Story, and Star Wars. Beyond that I'd imagine a new fireworks show in the MK, maybe an Imagination redo in Epcot and then some cleanup-type refurbs in early 2021. I'm not expecting an e-ticket in the MK. Maybe I'll be surprised.
hopefully a new night parade as well.

We shouldn't have to wait till the 50th for new fireworks and a night parade. Wishes is 13 years old and MSEP......

Agree, but Disney now really needs heavy excuses to expend money.
its like they wont move a finger unless some IP surpasses the 1 billion barrier on the boxoffice or the attraction/show is falling apart to the point of being dangerous.

...is older than a good deal of us on this forum!

Seriously though, that parade was limping along the last time I saw it in 2013. I don't know how it's holding up now.

I honestly found that the parade looks better on 2016 than it was in 2013.
Smoke for example, worked again on January.
Plus no light bulbs off (which the 2013 had)

doctornick

Not to excuse Disney's lack of investment, but I do think it makes sense to hold off on any new large scale nighttime entertainment for MK (i.e. light parade or fireworks) until new night shows come online at other parks (i.e. RoL and the other DAK stuff, the large SW multi-media show planned for DHS). That way, you don't exacerbate the crowding at MK and park hopping to there at night. I mean, that will happen anyway, but at least having other options open will somewhat lessen it.

Of course, the issue is waiting so long to update/create new shows at the other parks to give a viable alternative for MK in the evening. that's on Disney and their poor planing.

Back to the issue on hand, I think we'll likely at least see replacements for Wishes and MSEP (though I wouldn't be shocked if the "new" parade is PTN coming from California). I'm hoping that we also get at least one new ride -- the OP suggested that Tomorrowland and Frontierland were being looked at, but that might have been put on hold.

Whatever happened to the alleged $350M approved to go to MK anyway as part of the big budget from last summer?

Crazydisneyfanluke

Not to excuse Disney's lack of investment, but I do think it makes sense to hold off on any new large scale nighttime entertainment for MK (i.e. light parade or fireworks) until new night shows come online at other parks (i.e. RoL and the other DAK stuff, the large SW multi-media show planned for DHS). That way, you don't exacerbate the crowding at MK and park hopping to there at night. I mean, that will happen anyway, but at least having other options open will somewhat lessen it.

Of course, the issue is waiting so long to update/create new shows at the other parks to give a viable alternative for MK in the evening. that's on Disney and their poor planing.

Back to the issue on hand, I think we'll likely at least see replacements for Wishes and MSEP (though I wouldn't be shocked if the "new" parade is PTN coming from California). I'm hoping that we also get at least one new ride -- the OP suggested that Tomorrowland and Frontierland were being looked at, but that might have been put on hold.

Whatever happened to the alleged $350M approved to go to MK anyway as part of the big budget from last summer?
PTN will not be leaving DL (Things can change)
If things are not being blue skied and green lit withing the next year or 2, i don't expect it to happen. I have low hopes for WDW 50th.

Mike S

Agree, but Disney now really needs heavy excuses to expend money.
its like they wont move a finger unless some IP surpasses the 1 billion barrier on the boxoffice or the attraction/show is falling apart to the point of being dangerous.
Zootopia is getting very close to $1Billion but I highly doubt we will be getting any attractions. Why? Merchandising.

doctornick

it took them three years to do an overlay for Maelstrom...do you really think Star Wars Land will be complete in three?

Disney's ridiculous timeframes are bad enough on their own, you do not need to exaggerate: Maelstrom closed in Oct 2014 and if Frozen Ever After opens this summer as expected, it will have taken under 2 years to convert the ride. Now, don't get me wrong: That's still crazy long, but it's not taking three years.

Bocabear

That would not go as far as you might think... 350M would refurb a restroom and add a Churro Cart ...I remember when Space Mountain was built back in the 70s..they were touting that it cost 21 Million to build... Nowadays that is the cost to replace the parking lot banners.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I love MSEP, but if we're still watching it limp down Main Street in 2021, I might just scream. No reason why we can't have two new parades between now and then; same with Wishes and Festival of Fantasy.

But somehow OLC can put together new parade(s) EVERY year, At WDW it's the lack of WILL and the desire to suck money out of the park for buying crap like Maker Studios (now debuting on Disney XD) and pouring it down the sinkhole known as Disney Interactive. For the love of finagle if Disney wants video games contract with EA to do them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom