Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
WDW's Matterhorn equivalent is actually Space Mountain. It was supposed to be, at least. Before it was cloned two years after opening. Two different tracks and all.

So technical wise Matterhorn is equivalent to Space Mountain, but theme and story-wise it's equivalent to Mount Everest! All the more reason we don't need it though! :p

I didn't mean a clone of the Matterhorn sorry I meant an E-Ticket mountain for that Park
Ohh I see what you're saying! So there's splash mountain, thunder mountain, and space mountain... I feel like 3 mountains in one land would be too much so Frontierland would be out. And there's not much else of a mountain you can put in Tomorrowland... I could definitely see a "volcano mountain" or "fire mountain" in Adventureland.. Wouldn't that be neat! :geek:

cheezbat

I didn't mean a clone of the Matterhorn sorry I meant an E-Ticket mountain for that Park
I've always thought there should be another mountain...preferably in the back of Fantasyland or in the Tomorrowland expansion pad. They have concepts for Fire Mountain or Bald Mountain, or they could borrow Roaring Rapids' design for another mountain...or make a Jules Verne-esque steampunk style Mountain to complement Tomorrowland/Space Mountain.

doctornick

Has there been any more rumors or talk about plans for MK's (and by extension WDW's) 50th anniversary in 2021? Yes, that's still a bit away (over 5 years) but we all know the glacial pace that Disney works at which means any decisions/funding/etc regarding this would probably have to be planned now -- especially if it would mean something big like a new E-ticket. Hopefully it will be something substantial not just something small like new fireworks. (yes, toss in the obligatory cupcake joke now.)

I remember @articos seemed relatively positive about goings on so I hope stuff is still on track.

TeriofTerror

There was once a villains land/park in the works. It would've been interesting to see the dark side of fantasyland
The rumor I recall hearing (and this was just for WDW, not Disneyland) was turning Tom Sawyer Island into a villain themed land. The Liberty Belle would be permanently docked and become a character dining location hosted by Dr. Facilier and Madame Medusa. I know I'm going to get absolutely massacred for this, but I really wouldn't have a problem with it. Getting to and from Tom Sawyer Island is such a hassle that I never bother with it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. A few high-caliber/ high capacity rides in this area could be a big plus.

Bocabear

I think all the projects that are currently in the pipeline almost completed by the 50th is going to be what they rest on...Star Wars Land probably has another 5 years of construction to completion...Toy Story Land will probably be another 4 years, Pandora probably realistically has another 2 years to go...All these projects are very close to the 50th...They will probably sit back and rest on them, add a cupcake, a parade for the Studios, a new castle show and fireworks and will spend the most of the budget on a new ad campaign .... We will not see the lavish celebration that Disneyland enjoyed for their 50th... I think those days are gone.

Mike S

I think all the projects that are currently in the pipeline almost completed by the 50th is going to be what they rest on...Star Wars Land probably has another 5 years of construction to completion...Toy Story Land will probably be another 4 years, Pandora probably realistically has another 2 years to go...All these projects are very close to the 50th...They will probably sit back and rest on them, add a cupcake, a parade for the Studios, a new castle show and fireworks and will spend the most of the budget on a new ad campaign .... We will not see the lavish celebration that Disneyland enjoyed for their 50th... I think those days are gone.
Pandora opens next year.

P_Radden

I think all the projects that are currently in the pipeline almost completed by the 50th is going to be what they rest on...Star Wars Land probably has at least 3 years of construction to completion...Toy Story Land will probably be another 2-3 years, Pandora probably realistically should open in 2017...All these projects are very close to the 50th...They will probably sit back and rest on them, add a cupcake, a parade for the Studios, a new castle show and fireworks and will spend the most of the budget on a new ad campaign .... We will not see the lavish celebration that Disneyland enjoyed for their 50th... I think those days are gone.

Fixed that for you

Bocabear

Fixed that for you
it took them three years to do an overlay for Maelstrom...do you really think Star Wars Land will be complete in three?
Pandora has another year of construction scheduled currently, but that excludes delays et-al....not that they might be able to roll out portions of the uncompleted areas sooner, I still think realistcally speaking it is going to be 5 years for Star Wars Land to be complete. I would love for them to magically speed up their timeline...but the way they do things lately...I am not expecting it.

Cesar R M

it took them three years to do an overlay for Maelstrom...do you really think Star Wars Land will be complete in three?
Pandora has another year of construction scheduled currently, but that excludes delays et-al....not that they might be able to roll out portions of the uncompleted areas sooner, I still think realistcally speaking it is going to be 5 years for Star Wars Land to be complete. I would love for them to magically speed up their timeline...but the way they do things lately...I am not expecting it.
It all depends if Disney goes cheap on building. Remember they do extend the building over many quarters to prevent affecting stock price.
If they wanted to go all in, they could build faster.

danv3

Regardless of the timing, I think we already know most of the "big stuff" that will by e hyped as per of the 50th: Avatar, Toy Story, and Star Wars. Beyond that I'd imagine a new fireworks show in the MK, maybe an Imagination redo in Epcot and then some cleanup-type refurbs in early 2021. I'm not expecting an e-ticket in the MK. Maybe I'll be surprised.

doctornick

Regardless of the timing, I think we already know most of the "big stuff" that will by e hyped as per of the 50th: Avatar, Toy Story, and Star Wars.

But all that stuff is opening well before 2021. The current timeframe for Star Wars is for late 2019 -- sure, it might get pushed back to 2020, but if they are hyping up WDW in 2021 for the 50th anniversary (Oct 1 2021 would be the big date), you'd think they'd focus on stuff that will be new for that year.

I think new fireworks and/or a light parade for MK is very likely. I'm hoping that the OP for this thread is correct that we might see some additions or at least major refurbishments to MK as well as part of the celebration.

Mike S

But all that stuff is opening well before 2021. The current timeframe for Star Wars is for late 2019 -- sure, it might get pushed back to 2020, but if they are hyping up WDW in 2021 for the 50th anniversary (Oct 1 2021 would be the big date), you'd think they'd focus on stuff that will be new for that year.

I think new fireworks and/or a light parade for MK is very likely. I'm hoping that the OP for this thread is correct that we might see some additions or at least major refurbishments to MK as well as part of the celebration.
We shouldn't have to wait till the 50th for new fireworks and a night parade. Wishes is 13 years old and MSEP......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom