Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

TabulaRasa

Carousel of Progress finale scene
Peoplemover overlay
Tiki Room overlay

Really!!! what is being done with tiki, I remember the moana talk but I thought that died? I'm shocked they are putting any money into COP but that's awesome. Peoplemover, is this due to tron? is it being extended or just the stuff in the tunnel changing.
I think I've read Incredibles into Peoplemover, but I could just be imagining things.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Everybody liked DL's 50th right? It seems like the general consensus is that event would make a good template for WDW's celebration.

Well, that also seems to be what really kick-started Disney's affection for special event cupcakes. Gold-wrapped cupcakes with glittery frosting were the proverbial "cherry on top" of the festivities for the anniversary itself. Although limited to just one day (July 17, 2005), they were available at all dining locations in the park and were handed out for free(!) with the purchase of any food
b16a4a54b0af6efde35bfdc925cdc113.jpg

In anticipation of record-breaking crowds, they had 75,000 cupcakes to hand out. However, the much-publicized expectation of crowds kept most casual visitors away from the park that day and most of the die-hards left after the dedication ceremony and merchandise sales in the morning, leaving relatively few people to consume a colossal number of cupcakes. I think I had 3 throughout the course of the day, but by early evening CMs were handing out entire boxes to anybody who was willing to take them
disney111.jpg

50th Anniversary Cupcakes: A Disney Parks Tradition

Man, if they were good, I'd have taken a box home and figured out a way to freeze them for future consumption, one at a time. :hungry:

DL's 50th is the "gold" standard (pun intended), but I have little faith that TDO will put even a quarter of the effort into MK that TDA did for DL. Call it the Ouimet Effect (EDIT: I finally found the name of his VP... Greg Emmer. I had the first half correct ;) ) or whatever, but the executive culture has changed dramatically since then. "Cost containment" does not lend well to making a flagship theme park shine since there's little ROI involved in doing it.

As I've said before, I *want* an old school, 18-month long, DL 50th-style celebration from the Disney of years past. I *expect* to get much, much less.

Last edited:

Missing20K

Although limited to just one day (July 17, 2005), they were available at all dining locations in the park and were handed out for free(!) with the purchase of any food

50th Anniversary Cupcakes: A Disney Parks Tradition

Why do I get a feeling WDW won't be getting free cupcakes for the 50th?

I have no idea. The Fox deal is still being evaluated.

So P&R Capex may still be affected by the Fox deal? I guess I was under the wrong impression that the "buckets" of money, while obviously related, were separate enough that one wouldn't affect the other. I can't help but wonder what other parts of corporate Disney are cutting back spending. I assumed they would be using cash reserves/financing/bond issue. My mistake I suppose.

Indy_UK

For the long term, the Fox deal needs to happen and in the long run, it will pay off in spades.

I dont think it will affect the 50th but potentially other projects. Have they started the building of the new ships? Wouldn't surprise me if the 3rd one gets the chop

Kman101

Sure its a shame, but we all knew we wouldn't be getting a spectacular 50th celebration. I'm sure TDO is ticked off they have to bother with anything at all, I know they'd love if we had no idea the resort is turning 50 in 3 years.

Oh, I know. I wasn't at all surprised. If they do anything remotely unique I'll be shocked. They know it's important but the question remains have they truly changed the way they do things? No. They are struggling with their old mindset while being forced to invest. It's like a crapshoot. We either get a hit or a miss.

Technically, while they are playing catchup, they are going to likely be touting things like TRON, Guardians as "birthday gifts". I'm not even trustful of them to do any minor plussing to any of the attractions. And I still don't trust them about a night parade. (To be fair, they could be putting off a parade because they know they can and they know it's an easy plus for the 50th)

If they do a solid 50th I may be convinced they get it. But I don't think they do.

One of the main problems I have is how they present what they're doing to us. Other parks get laid out plans (albeit some left vague for later reveal), but ours seems slapped together, and often things get delayed (hello theater on main street) for one reason or another.

I just wonder if they are actually following a master plan (that often gets derailed). Doesn't seem like it. And I know it takes getting funding approved, whcih is difficult. That's why I imagine we'll see a continued investment as long as it's properties they can market and synergize. A Bug's Land "The Land" anyone? LOL

Kman101

I hope that's not your hint that It will be changing soon. We don't need an IP on everything.

We sure don't. But it sounds like the only way things get done now is if it a) really really really needs it (meaning they see a lot of wasted space - they have to), b) they have to (meaning it's forced on them by up above) or c) it's IP related

Tangled in Germany anyone?

An IP invasion into Epcot is the only reason I see Martin ( @marni1971 ) so disappointed it's becoming MK/Fantasyland 2.0

I've got some ideas that worry me. I'm curious what they do.

Epcot and Tomorrowland need to be getting the most work done for the next few years, with side projects at DHS and hopefully a major/modest refresh of Dinoland. Maybe a new show in the Tree of Life theater? I could see them moving it's tough to be a bug to Epcot in the Harvest Theater.

Kman101

I have no idea. The Fox deal is still being evaluated.

I get it (I get why), but it's a shame one has to do with the other.

Anytime WDW starts to get investment it gets derailed (this is reminding me of 2001-2008 all over again, things screeched to a halt with minor projects after 2008 until they had no choice but to do New Fantasyland, Pandora and Toy Story Land). They really needed to finally go all in. The parks have stagnated too long.

Another problem is they run the company for short-term, not long-term.

TTA94

If the Fox deal could affect future entertainment that could also put the new Illuminations in jeopardy as well since that was slated for the 50th :-/. Not good.

Kman101

If the Fox deal could affect future entertainment that could also put the new Illuminations in jeopardy as well since that was slated for the 50th :-/. Not good.

I imagine most of what they have planned for, up til 2021/2022 is what's up in the air (Tomorrowland refreshes, Coco in Mexico, Brazil, entertainment updates). Should be an interesting D23 2019. Unless money's been allocated but it's just a matter of getting the goahead. I'm not entirely sure how the approval process works. It sounds complicated and overly ridiculous with lots of changes and money being spent and time being wasted. Look at how butchered Pixar Pier and Toy Story Land were (even if Toy Story Land has two good attractions and solid theming - apart from a lack of shade, shopping and a few extra flat rides to pad the park out)

Can anyone give me a refresher on how the approval process works? Just the gist of it? @lazyboy97o @marni1971 @Magic Feather ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom