Magic Key Renewals?

Vegas Disney Fan

Yep the 200 billion dollar company that's is being sued by their customers and stands a very good chance of losing is not incompetent in the slightest.
The sad thing is I don’t think this is incompetence. They knew from the start they were going to claim reservations were “sold out” for keyholders despite availability for day guests, the only reason to intentionally hide that information was they knew it would hurt key sales if people didn’t have the expectation they could still go all but a few days a year.

Being incompetent would have been less bad than being intentionally deceitful to screw over their most loyal guests.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I saw an article on another site in regards to WDW AP's that pointed out that given the summer tourists filling the parks until *the end of August when kids go back to school* there's really no urgency to add further AP capacity there yet.

Whether it's good business to leave your loyal customers hanging without any information is another story. But technically, DLR also could wait until the very last minute to announce renewal details while soaking in all the summer day ticket money for now.

I still say that there will be an announcement for all pass types at the expo. Although it will be late for those who want/ have to renew in August, there really should be some form of announcement.

truecoat

Yep the 200 billion dollar company that's is being sued by their customers and stands a very good chance of losing is not incompetent in the slightest.

Very good chance of losing? Their "loss" at best will be a $50 voucher towards a new annual pass.

el_super

But all the magic key sales are halted now, right?
I (think) there is only the potential to renew to “something” that DLR has not announced yet?

I think they always planned on the Magic Keys being a transition tool away from the former APs they had, and into something new. The Magic Keys felt a lot like the old Annual Passes because they didn't want to cut off everyone cold turkey. If there are significant legal questions surrounding the Magic Keys that make them impossible to continue selling, they will have to escalate their timeline on getting to Option 3.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think they always planned on the Magic Keys being a transition tool away from the former APs they had, and into something new. The Magic Keys felt a lot like the old Annual Passes because they didn't want to cut off everyone cold turkey. If there are significant legal questions surrounding the Magic Keys that make them impossible to continue selling, they will have to escalate their timeline on getting to Option 3.
I don’t think even Disney can survive without some kind of annual pass, I can’t think of a single park anywhere that doesn’t depend on annual passes to bring In bodies during slower periods.

I could maybe see them removing the top tier pass and going to a Mon-Thur pass, that’s leaving a ton of money on the table though, eliminating the $1400 pass in favor of a $400 pass loses hundreds of millions in guaranteed revenue.

I can’t believe it’s just a couple weeks away and they still haven’t announced anything, they are quickly developing a reputation of being a badly run company.

Vegas Disney Fan

Very good chance of losing? Their "loss" at best will be a $50 voucher towards a new annual pass.

Federal and state law prohibits businesses from engaging in activities that are “unfair” or “deceptive.” The key federal law on this subject for most businesses is the Federal Trade Commission Act, enforced by the Federal Trade Commission.

The FTC may fine a business $11,000 per violation, obtain other civil damages, force the business to refund customers, and obtain an injunction against the business.

The risk isn’t only what they’ll have to pay customers but also the government, if a court rules they deceived their customers the FTC is sure to step in and the fines could be in the billions.

With all the political drama lately I’m sure some politicians would jump at the opportunity to “stick it” to Disney.

CaptinEO

I don’t think even Disney can survive without some kind of annual pass, I can’t think of a single park anywhere that doesn’t depend on annual passes to bring In bodies during slower periods.

I could maybe see them removing the top tier pass and going to a Mon-Thur pass, that’s leaving a ton of money on the table though, eliminating the $1400 pass in favor of a $400 pass loses hundreds of millions in guaranteed revenue.

I can’t believe it’s just a couple weeks away and they still haven’t announced anything, they are quickly developing a reputation of being a badly run company.
If they priced tickets much lower on weekdays they could never need APs again. It just kills their whole "vacation" pricing for long term multiday tickets that are used for a stay during both weekdays and weekends.

Disney knows that at 105 a ticket they cant fill their parks on a random Tuesday in February. They could price accordingly but would rather keep the multiday ticket prices high by instead filling the parks with APs.

Vegas Disney Fan

If they priced tickets much lower on weekdays they could never need APs again. It just kills their whole "vacation" pricing for long term multiday tickets that are used for a stay during both weekdays and weekends.
What are the odds of Disney reducing prices though?

If they lowered weekdays to $75 it would make weekends look like a rip off at $125.

CaptinEO

What are the odds of Disney reducing prices though?

If they lowered weekdays to $75 it would make weekends look like a rip off at $125.
That's the actual worth of a weekday ticket at Disneyland, they should fully embrace their pricing tiers by going both higher and lower when needed. Seems they are concerned about devaluing tickets so instead devalue their annual pass (for weekdays).

Vegas Disney Fan

That's the actual worth of a weekday ticket at Disneyland, they should fully embrace their pricing tiers by going both higher and lower when needed. Seems they are concerned about devaluing tickets so instead devalue their annual pass (for weekdays).

I agree but I don’t see Disney agreeing with us.

CaptinEO

Looks like a 1 day ticket to Disneyland in 2022 can cost any of the following:
$104, $119, $134, $149, $159, and $164

An Imagine Key costs: $399

I'm curious to see how many people in attendance during weekdays are Key Owners (is that the term)? vs Ticket Holders.

I'm guessing the reason they dont lower ticket prices for weekdays is to make their multiday tickets seem valuable (for example a 4 day stay could span 2 weekdays and 2 weekends). There must be a good reason for operating the way they do.

Checking now I see a 4 day ticket to Disneyland says "starting at 90 a day". Probably 70ish is what they would charge for a dead weekday in February if APs didn't exist.

My guess is selling low priced weekday tickets kill their multi day vacation upsell so the key owners fill in the otherwise dead days.

Disstevefan1

TWDC can surely survive without APs.

I used to think DLR needed their APs. I do not think that anymore. DLR it survived the pandemic, closed for the pandemic (zero guests) and they seem to be doing fine now

The days of a truly good value AP is over.

shambolicdefending

The math based on anecdotes, estimates and guesstimates is that about 35% of DLR guests were passholders just prior to the pandemic, compared to 25% a couple of decades earlier.

I have no doubt that Disney still wants a local or frequent visitor program of some kind, but they've made it quite clear with their actions that they'd like it to comprise closer to the 25% than the 35%.

With every passing day (just over three weeks until passes start expiring now), I'm also more convinced that they're not offering renewals because of the pending lawsuit.

I'm guessing they're hoping and/or needing to have some kind of resolution on some aspect of the case before they move forward with anything

Just got this answer from the chat with us tab
Hello Heidi! We will soon offer all current Magic Key holders the opportunity to renew into one of several passes available in the program. We will share details about renewals at a later date.

Californian Elitist

TWDC can surely survive without APs.

I used to think DLR needed their APs. I do not think that anymore. DLR it survived the pandemic, closed for the pandemic (zero guests) and they seem to be doing fine now

The days of a truly good value AP is over.
The pandemic is not a good indicator of whether having a pass system in place is beneficial or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom